AFL Autopsy Round 8: 2 points v Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Backline is a concern, every time the ball travels down back, the opposition is a chance to score.

Also guelfi as a sub is great, very impactful today.

The first quarter was deplorable.
I was genuinely surprised that we got anywhere near them after such a shithouse start.
If Taylor had an Essendon jumper on we would not have kicked the ball anywhere near him.
Fix the foot skills! We are the worst by foot by a long way. Especially that inside 50 delivery...
Plenty to work on but the endeavour is good.

The point of the elbow looks to make contact around where the vertebral artery should be before rolling across the back of his neck. Full force on that artery and you have a Phil Hughes situation. Incredibly dangerous and irresponsible and just because he didn't get a concussion doesn't excuse it. Should absolutely be held to account.
But that’s the thing, not only is there serious opportunity to hurt the bloke, it’s just a sniping dog act. That’s miles worse in my book than an accidental head clash in a hip and shoulder (which is a legitimate football action unlike a running raised elbow to a bloke who’s already gotten rid of the ball).

Ah yes, we beat the Sth Melb Swans by 15 points at Windy Hill. Last time we got a free in the last against a Swans team in a close one.

Yes..and I believe it was Max Crow who got push in the back paid kicking to the Napier st end.

There's a few of them at that club that are known for it. Greene and his boot studs too.
You might want to watch a few Mark Harvey highlights before singling out mate, Toby.

I feel Solly was one who did it a bit too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might want to watch a few Mark Harvey highlights before singling out mate, Toby.

I feel Solly was one who did it a bit too.
I think the culture of the game has changed a lot since then. In the modern day GWS are becoming known for this sniping type rough conduct due to a few particular players making headlines for it, in a context where the AFL is constantly tightening interpretations, stamping out almost anything remotely dangerous.

I don’t think players from the 80s and 90s are really a fair comparison - they should be compared with the rules and expectations of their time and the players they played with and against.

But that’s the thing, not only is there serious opportunity to hurt the bloke, it’s just a sniping dog act. That’s miles worse in my book than an accidental head clash in a hip and shoulder (which is a legitimate football action unlike a running raised elbow to a bloke who’s already gotten rid of the ball).
lets see how serious the afl is. Impact may not be high. If that gets the same for the rib tickle merrett gave JSOS (or less), AFL will show they don't really care. Just want to be seen to care
Third loss by 3 or less points this season. If those games had slightly gone our way we'd be sitting at 20 points and equal 4th on the ladder and only 1 game behind 2nd after 8 rounds.

Not bad for a side in development with injuries. Love the effort being shown. Future is bright.
This is what you take away

We're one of the best pressure sides in the comp
Highest scoring side in the comp
Fix the scores against and we'll win more.

27 disposals at 85%.....
RecentDefinitiveBarnswallow-size_restricted.gif

If we had Draper, Caldwell, Shiel and an in form, super fit Mosquito and Waterboy in today’s side..who would be out?

This is what we’re looking at next year.

We’re getting better.

Also...Guelfi is the real deal as a league player.

He’s like RichmondBaker. Small, quick, tough, handy.
Ham, Heppell, Langford, Phillips, Smith

I’ll be honest, the “let’s put Heppell out to pasture” talk is starting to piss me off. 27 touches across half back, with an 85% disposal efficiency. And not only that, his ability to read the play is still elite in my eyes.

But say it is time for him to go, who replaces him? Who comes in that would improve out side? There isn’t anyone. Just farcical talk.

He is the leadership we need during this build. And any talk otherwise is unfair.

I’ll be honest, the “let’s put Heppell out to pasture” talk is starting to piss me off. 27 touches across half back, with an 85% disposal efficiency. And not only that, his ability to read the play is still elite in my eyes.

But say it is time for him to go, who replaces him? Who comes in that would improve out side? There isn’t anyone. Just farcical talk.

He is the leadership we need during this build. And any talk otherwise is unfair.
ideas i've seen are Caldwell into the middle & McGrath back when the time comes.
Neither are happening any time soon, if ever.

Does highlight, we could do with a fresh face in the backline soon.
Love watching Lachie Ash play and how he fits down back with the Giants.
That's the sort of player i'd look for. Either of Saad or McKenna would be it, but they're gone.

But this is where the system fails. We can’t countenance blokes raising elbows after the ball has left the area. It’s a sniping campaigner act and we should be punishing the act not the outcome I reckon.

It’s such a blight on our game. Results get punished not the action. Start giving out weeks for shot like Finlayson did and the sniper gets phased out almost certainly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backline is a concern, every time the ball travels down back, the opposition is a chance to score.

Also guelfi as a sub is great, very impactful today.

Have to disagree. It's our entry into our forward 50 that is the major concern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back