Review Round 8, 2017: North Ballarat Roosters v Box Hill Hawks, 11 June 2017, 1.00pm @ Eureka Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nash could be anything .

It still sits with me the day I stayed back after training this year and watched Glass , Nash and Kiwi just having a bit of fun ( only 3 left out there ) .

What Glass and Nash were doing with the oval ball would have done Sam (Mitchell) proud , they had it on a string and made it talk , it was simply amazing .
I thought then we have two very exciting projects .

Last edited:
Nash could be anything .

It still sits with me the day I stayed back after training this year and watched Glass , Nash and Kiwi just having a bit of fun ( only 3 left out there ) .

What Glass and Nash were doing with the oval ball would have done Sam (Mitchell) proud , they had it on a string and made it talk , it was simply amazing .

Thaihawk and I both share your enthusiasm for the two Conors. I think both of us have some Irish ancestry but I hope we are being objective. Apart from natural talent I get the feeling they will also put in the hard work that is required.

Nash could be anything .

Burton aside, Nash is the player on our list I'm most excited about. Tall, strong and a big frame to fill out - knowing those Irish blokes he should be a lovely kick too. Incredibly exciting prospect.

After missing the start of the season Andrew Moore has been outstanding. I was very happy with our top five tacklers - Moore [9], Willsmore and Pittonet [7] and Morrison and Lewis [6]. Glass has been good with his one on ones and it's good to see him increase his numbers as he is very talented and has good balance. Morrison is a very good young footballer and Lewis has very good hands and I've been impressed by his speed and some strong second efforts.

I watched the game on the live stream, start to finish. To be honest, Pittonet won a heap of the hitouts, but I wasn't overly impressed with him. Roosters best ruck was injured, their number two was hopeless, I was hoping we'd get more hitouts to advantage, but it didn't really happen.

I really liked the look of Conor Glass. Uses the ball pretty well, hard at it and both his goals were top quality finishes. There's something to work with there that's for sure.

Mitchell Lewis. This kid has a fair bit of x-factor/presence about him. He's incredibly raw, and a long way off playing senior football, but there might be something serious there. Big unit, flies for his marks, hits packs hard. He could of had 3 or 4 this weekend, ended with 0.4!

I think there's something to work with in Harry Morrison too. Hawks have picked up a couple of good prospects with late picks in last years draft. Morrison intercepts well, and generally uses the ball well. Has a few aspects of his game that need work, he's defensive organisation being one, but I'm happy with that pick also.

Great win for Box Hill without regular Hawthorn listed talent in Lovell, Fitzy, O'Rourke, etc and the blokes who are playing for HFC when they would normally be playing for Box Hill. Great showing of the depth at Box Hill.
What did he do that gave you the impression Lewis has X factor?

Glass has struggled to get the ball this year. So it was good to see him get it 20 times even though he played midfield. He is struggling with playing at half back. He is still learning but his main misgiving is to know when to attack and when to defend. Half back flank is his if he wants it as he is a very good kick.

Playing him further up the ground gives him another string to his bow. Kicking a coupld of goals will also give him a lot of confidence.

Nash was coming along quite nicely. His injury was really unfortunate because he is the diamond in the rough. He was adapting to the structures and how we play a lot faster than some others on our list looking forward to seeing him back out there later in the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzy is done imo concussion issues

Did he have concussion issues at Melbourne? I don't ever remember hearing that he did.

Feel for him. He never had a decent crack at AFL level due to multiple concussions and I think he had diabetes a while back.

That's interesting. I think McCartin at St Kilda has diabetes and he also has had concussion issues. I wonder if there is a connection.

I feel for him too. I think he had some potential but very hard when you can't get regular games for whatever reason.

Did he have concussion issues at Melbourne? I don't ever remember hearing that he did.
5th concussion since 2013 so yeah he had some before joining

5th concussion since 2013 so yeah he had some before joining
Gosh poor bloke, that's a significant number. I hope the AFL look after him in transition to another path and that he's not to adversely affected long term.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What did he do that gave you the impression Lewis has X factor?

X-Factor was probably the wrong word, hence the follow up with the other word, presence. For a 19 year old, he has a huge frame and I think, as he develops size and muscle, he will command the ball even more than he already does due to his intimidating stature. Strikes me as a Tom Lynch/Levi Casboult type size.

Thaihawk and I both share your enthusiasm for the two Conors. I think both of us have some Irish ancestry but I hope we are being objective. Apart from natural talent I get the feeling they will also put in the hard work that is required.

Dead right there dermott. My great grandfather was Michael Kennedy, who has a memorial statue in Mansfield. He was shot and killed by Ned Kelly. Having said that, I have been following Glass' progress, and I would say he is in front of the club's expectations. Nash, well what I read about this young man tells me he could be anything, and reports from Box Hill cseem to confirm what I read.

X-Factor was probably the wrong word, hence the follow up with the other word, presence. For a 19 year old, he has a huge frame and I think, as he develops size and muscle, he will command the ball even more than he already does due to his intimidating stature. Strikes me as a Tom Lynch/Levi Casboult type size.
Yeah, that's why I asked.

To me he seems like a regulation young KPP, but with a large scope for improvement.

Yeah, that's why I asked.

To me he seems like a regulation young KPP, but with a large scope for improvement.

And at 198cm and 92Kg, is a very big boy for only 18, so if we can get the best out of this lad, we could be in for a treat. Grimley and Lowdon just didn't cut the mustard so maybe it's the third time lucky. Let's hope so.

Dead right there dermott. My great grandfather was Michael Kennedy, who has a memorial statue in Mansfield. He was shot and killed by Ned Kelly. Having said that, I have been following Glass' progress, and I would say he is in front of the club's expectations. Nash, well what I read about this young man tells me he could be anything, and reports from Box Hill cseem to confirm what I read.
Wow! Connected to an infamous period of Australian history! As a history scholar (and nerd) I'm fascinated by stuff like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back