Autopsy Round 8 2018 Hawthorn vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

You fair dinkum. Did you watch the game on the radio?
Bagged Robinson 20 possies ...including 17 handballs...generally means he was working hard...had 6 tackles as well.
Bagged Papley ,,,,,he had multiple tackles as well, busted his gut as usual.
Bagged Heeney....sure he makes mistakes but when the fur flies you will see him close by.
Bagged Jack...also had close to 20 possessions, including ripper to spot Hayward.
Could you not see all the positives or is getting to 100,000 posts more important.

Clarko was very complimentary but then said we get away with blue murder at times blocking and highlighted Roughead then not getting one.

On one hand I mean stfu

On the other good on him sticking up for his club, I was hoping we might raise similar issues we fall victim too.

Also to be fair he praised the swans and gave them full credit
Did he mention the fist full of Mills jumper Gunston had for a free & goal or tbe "wonderful" Breust throw that Ling really enjoyed.
What a crock that bloke is.

Did he mention the fist full of Mills jumper Gunston had for a free & goal or tbe "wonderful" Breust throw that Ling really enjoyed.
What a crock that bloke is.

Clarko wrecks his own reputation by being such a sore loser. Pretty silly on mentioning the defensive blocks ie blue murder when his team is one of the worst. Hope the media calls him out on this.

If we lost....it would have been proof of the shitness of Horse and doubled as the why did we let Mitchell go it was the worst decision ever.

We won so...
What was genius Clarkson doing about Ronke? Ohh Ahhh what sort of coach lets a player do what he wants, especially when he is killing the opposition. Bad coach bad. So stubborn of Clarkson getting owned by Horse like that. Sack.
Thank F we let Mitchell go and kept the better midfielder in Parker. 20 possessions of absolute rubbish, except for that one sideways kick to a player 20m in the clear. Go Tom!

Clarko wrecks his own reputation by being such a sore loser. Pretty silly on mentioning the defensive blocks ie blue murder when his team is one of the worst. Hope the media calls him out on this.
Oh bullshit... You've been sucked in by the AFL.com headline. Don't fall for it.

Clarko spoke perfectly well about the Swans. Gave you guys full credit. Said you wanted it more and showed our blokes up. Said you showed more polish and hunted the ball better than us around the contest and used it much better going inside fifty

He PRAISED your backline and complimented the way Rampe and Grundy block for each other. He openly admitted that we had no counter and said we were soundly trounced in this part of the ground.

What more do you want from an opposition coach? :rolleyes:

Sure, he was disappointed to lose. Yes, he was frustrated with the inconsistent application of the marking interference rule & said your defenders get away with a lot. But he was philosophical about it & acknowledged we aren't going to get those frees in the goal square. I think he was just expressing his general frustration with inconsistent umpiring rather than bitching about you guys or the loss.

We are deficient up forward. We can't take a mark. We can't even half a contest & bring the ball to ground. Roughie, Gunston and O'Brien are getting no favours from the umps. They're getting pushed around too easily and the lack of a marking target (or presence) is costing us dearly. Clarko is clearly unhappy with all of that.

I will never understand why opposition fans always try twist every press conference of Clarkson's into some imagined poor loser moanfest. The utensil heads at afl.com also seem to take weird pleasure in plucking quotes of his out of context and beating things up. Clarko's press conferences are always pretty good, I think.

Do you wanna see a poor loser? Check out this coach's after match presser vs Sydney: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-04-28/full-postmatch-cats

Well played last night. Hated losing that, but I thought you guys were the better team.
Horse is doing a pretty good job. I think you're a good chance of getting back to the Grand Final this year :thumbsu:

Clarko was very complimentary but then said we get away with blue murder at times blocking and highlighted Roughead then not getting one.
Of all the things to complain about, blocking or bracing against players before they get tons contest is a bizarre one. They were consistently holding out players without their eyes on the ball or more than five meters from a contest tonight. A number of marks in our forward line were allowed to happen off the back of this

Happy to admit how very wrong I was. From the start it felt like something was different about the way we were playing. There just seemed to be this doggedness that has been missing so often in the past against Hawthorn. Usually we come out with our tails between our legs from the opening bounce, and so shame on me for not believing we could turn this intensity into a win. To be fair, when Hawthorn got a run on, they looked the fitter team, they ARE the cleaner team (I still believe that), and some of our best players (Parker, Heeney) and kids (McCartin) started making some really crucial errors. And so at that point, it really did feel like the natural order had been restored and Hawthorn would win the game while we faded.

Enter our kids. I just did not expect them to stand up the way they did. Florent was brave and daring and tried his absolute guts out, and quickly becoming one of my favourite Swans. Hayward was classy, at times looking like a dashing Matera type, and other times using his physicality to impact the contest. And Ronke... well, way to enter the history books. Regardless of what happens for the rest of this year and the rest of his career, this game will be the stuff of legend at the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans football club. Only player in history to kick 7 goals and lay 10 tackles, and all in just his third game, against our toughest rivals, on the MCG, on a Friday night. I've never seen anything like it. Just blown away.

McVeigh - been a critic of his lately but jesus his composure under pressure was sublime and he was our most Hawthorn-like player against the Hawks.
Jones - loves the MCG because the space gives him license to roam and do what he does best, rather than just being a contested bull.
Cunningham - his kicks seemed like they were just long bombs to nothing on the surface, but upon paying closer attention I realised his placement and decision making with his kicking was brilliant. Put in the right places and to our advantage all the time.
Parker - such an up and down game, and the best and worst of Parker all in one game, but he stood up to become our best mid when we needed it.
Hewett - another great tagging effort but then to actually end up with more possessions than Mitchell - wow.

But the two pillars were Grundy and Lloyd. I know Ronke will get all the attention, but these two were the true best players for us. They did all the hard work when our defence was under constant attack. Both so composed, and they contributed to our win more than anyone on the ground. Because the amount of times Hawthorn had it near their goals, any other team Hawks would do their usual business of piling on goals. But Grundy and Lloyd were impenetrable and ensured that never happened.

Also... what a game! THIS is the Friday night game the footy world deserves. Two quality sides playing the footy they love to play and taking it up to each other. This was the one game where I could excuse Bruce and his embarrassing, exaggerated gasps in the commentator's box because at times it did feel like the quickest, most pinball-esque game of footy I've seen in a long time. Not often I say this about Swans and Hawks games, but bravo to all involved!

Oh bullshit... You've been sucked in by the AFL.com headline. Don't fall for it.

Clarko spoke perfectly well about the Swans. Gave you guys full credit. Said you wanted it more and showed our blokes up. Said you showed more polish and hunted the ball better than us around the contest and used it much better going inside fifty

He PRAISED your backline and complimented the way Rampe and Grundy block for each other. He openly admitted that we had no counter and said we were soundly trounced in this part of the gr.

To be honest I'm not a fan of how he does this. Not because he does it -he should be allowed to speak his mind and moan and whinge about inconsistent umpiring if he wants to - but this is the way he's been allowed to get away with criticising umpires.

He doesn't say the umpires get things wrong, he says
Bulldogs handballs - which we all know were throws or convenient drops into hands of team mates - involve them doing something right. But the hawks have had just as many players drop balls to team mates - in fact that's how they have beaten us in the past -
He feels for the impact of selwoods future because of the number of head high tavkles - when he is saying he ducks. But Puopolo has been guilty of doing the same thing repeatedly.
He believes Sydney block better in the back half than anyone - but I've watched Langford repeatedly block to give Gunston and Roughead space over the years.

In each case he is not so subtly sledging the umpires. And he's getting away with this because he makes it about the other team not the actual decision makers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmn.... wide awake and making coffee at 5.30. Thought I might be hungover, but no. There is nothing like the endorphins produced after an improbable game and a win against the Dawks.

Agree with the comment made about Nosey showing his best and worst. I was furious with his third quarter miss. I am still cranky, while acknowledging he played a crucial role in the win.

Best game I have seen from Cunningham. He clearly outpointed Isaac Smith who is a terrific player. George clearly beat Titch.

Robbo also did his job, particularly as a link on the inside. I was highly critical of his selection but he clearly brought effort and improved disposal efficiency to the table.

I am still cheering how Lloyd played in his 100th. He was back to the best of his 2017 form.

Ronke will wake up soon and pinch himself. Seven straight, ten tackles and umpteen pressure acts and sprints. Each of the kids delivered the mail in this crucial win. Speed kills and the kids bring pace and repeat efforts.

This was one of our better efforts at the G. I am still cranky we only have one more game there in the H&A season. Thanks AFL. Interstate teams who made the Finals the previous year should be guaranteed a minimum of five games at the G. Abject Melbourne based teams should get fewer games there. Step up Carlton, the Friday night filth merchants.

Hmmn, two short blacks downed while intermittently typing this post. The wind has been howling and the prediction is for more deluges during the day. Doesn't matter. All Swans fans in Melbourne will be waking today to blue skies and a balmy sunny day.

Special mention to the Swans meet up ahead of the game. Great to meet some fine BF comrades.

Hmmn.... wide awake and making coffee at 5.30. Thought I might be hungover, but no. There is nothing like the endorphins produced after an improbable game and a win against the Dawks.

Agree with the comment made about Nosey showing his best and worst. I was furious with his third quarter miss. I am still cranky, while acknowledging he played a crucial role in the win.

Best game I have seen from Cunningham. He clearly outpointed Isaac Smith who is a terrific player. George clearly beat Titch.

Robbo also did his job, particularly as a link on the inside. I was highly critical of his selection but he clearly brought effort and improved disposal efficiency to the table.

I am still cheering how Lloyd played in his 100th. He was back to the best of his 2017 form.

Ronke will wake up soon and pinch himself. Seven straight, ten tackles and umpteen pressure acts and sprints. Each of the kids delivered the mail in this crucial win. Speed kills and the kids bring pace and repeat efforts.

This was one of our better efforts at the G. I am still cranky we only have one more game there in the H&A season. Thanks AFL. Interstate teams who made the Finals the previous year should be guaranteed a minimum of five games at the G. Abject Melbourne based teams should get fewer games there. Step up Carlton, the Friday night filth merchants.

Hmmn, two short blacks downed while intermittently typing this post. The wind has been howling and the prediction is for more deluges during the day. Doesn't matter. All Swans fans in Melbourne will be waking today to blue skies and a balmy sunny day.

Special mention to the Swans meet up ahead of the game. Great to meet some fine BF comrades.
Hail comrade!
Macca who was calm and accurate all night coming out of defence.
That mark by Rohan leading to Ronke’s last goal is even more special now I’ve watched the replay.
Carlton should be banned from Friday night games never to return until they make a final.

If you said going into the 2018 season that you believed Florent would be getting 25 possessions, Hayward would kick 3 goals for a third straight week, and Ronke would kick 7 goals against Hawthorn, you’d be lying.

All light years ahead of where I thought they’d be in their development but stoked about it!

If you said going into the 2018 season that you believed Florent would be getting 25 possessions, Hayward would kick 3 goals for a third straight week, and Ronke would kick 7 goals against Hawthorn, you’d be lying.

All light years ahead of where I thought they’d be in their development but stoked about it!

Hayward could easily kick 3 goals a week, such is the talent he has shown as a forward.
Both he & Florent showed from their first game that they are AFL standard.
It was only ever going to be a matter of consistency for both.
They've both played less than 30 games. :eek:

Hayward could easily kick 3 goals a week, such is the talent he has shown as a forward.
Both he & Florent showed from their first game that they are AFL standard.
It was only ever going to be a matter of consistency for both.
They've both played less than 30 games. :eek:

Yeah they’ve been totally impressive. Unfortunately for them with their rapid development comes more pressure. There will be some on here in coming weeks who will probably forget they’re watching teenagers if ever they have a poor game.

Still trying to do my top 5....

Ronke obviously, 7 goals, 10 tackles, has to be in the top 3 on the ground; and Heeney, cause without him, the ball never gets into the forward 50; and Hewett, cause without his stopping work on Mitchell, the ball goes down to the Hawkes 50; Parker's work all over the ground was excellent and certainly deserves a vote; Grundy, Rampe and Smith can't be forgotten, cause OMG! How many inside 50s did they repel? Jones was the link we've been missing, outstanding game from him; Sinclair, hot damn, he's on fire!!! Hayward really stepped up and showed some leadership qualities that would normally mean he got at least a point!

Bloody hell, lots of people are gonna be really stiff!!!

Still trying to do my top 5....

Ronke obviously, 7 goals, 10 tackles, has to be in the top 3 on the ground; and Heeney, cause without him, the ball never gets into the forward 50; and Hewett, cause without his stopping work on Mitchell, the ball goes down to the Hawkes 50; Parker's work all over the ground was excellent and certainly deserves a vote; Grundy, Rampe and Smith can't be forgotten, cause OMG! How many inside 50s did they repel? Jones was the link we've been missing, outstanding game from him; Sinclair, hot damn, he's on fire!!! Hayward really stepped up and showed some leadership qualities that would normally mean he got at least a point!

Bloody hell, lots of people are gonna be really stiff!!!

No Lloyd?

Apart from the horrific turnover in the back half I thought Mcveighs game was underrated. He's incredibly slow these days and can be a liability against sides like Richmond who transition quickly but his awareness, vision and class with ball in hand are a pleasure to watch.

Several times last night he just danced and weaved through traffic to buy himself more time and space before picking out the perfect option.

Dear Plugger, plz be coming back for one game against Hawks...and introduce yourself to that w***er Sicily. xxxx Ticky

Wait for it Ticky, he will self implode trying to be Clarko's tough guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back