Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If Eagles was a 20 year old draftee and not a 28 year old Reality TV footballer he would be cut more slack than some around here are prepared to give him. While the likes of Skinner and Payne are injured and we need a big bodied defender I say play him. Which probably means he'll be dropped sooner or later but nevertheless I like what he can bring to the side, bloopers aside.

Surprised so many want Eagles in the team next week. He was one of our worst two performers on the weekend, tying with Christensen. Directly gave up multiple goals. Surely has to go back to NEAFL...

If that's the metric, Hipwood gave up more with his kicking.

Regarding Eagles, a little bit of lee way is required for mine. We seem to judging him off his age rather than actual AFL level experience.

Sure hes 28 years old and a mature body, however, he has just played his 2nd game at that level (which is significantly higher standard than anything he has previously played) and his errors from what I can see are more decision making related than anything. Needs time to get up to the tempo.

I really don't get the strong dislike of his game. Took a few solid grabs, disposal was nice, he made a few errors but generally happy to persist here. His kicking and marking stands out to me. wasnt a good fit in that line up either. Bont beat him 1 on 1 that time, but he got back perfectly to that contest without taking his eye off the ball, I don't think Harry Taylor would have stopped that mark given it was coming in so hot, Bont was goal side and he was tracking back and trapped 1 out.

Surprised so many want Eagles in the team next week. He was one of our worst two performers on the weekend, tying with Christensen. Directly gave up multiple goals. Surely has to go back to NEAFL...
He did take 4 crucial marks in defense so probably helped saved a few as well .
His howler where he went to spoil and missed everything and lost his feet, was a little telling he could be found at at times.
I think this has been his weakness , he did it twice in the Collinwood game but lucky for us they didn't have any crumbers to capitalize .

I'd keep him in at this stage, he did keep going even after that incident and only 2nd Afl game .
Rich was the player that was disappointing when he didn't effect the ball coming in next to him, which lead to a goal, that was the worst play or non play of the day. He can be so hard at the ball almost reckless then this shite , stopping and ball watching.

He did take 4 crucial marks in defense so probably helped saved a few as well .
His howler where he went to spoil and missed everything and lost his feet, was a little telling he could be found at at times.
I think this has been his weakness , he did it twice in the Collinwood game but lucky for us they didn't have any crumbers to capitalize .

I'd keep him in at this stage, he did keep going even after that incident and only 2nd Afl game .
Rich was the player that was disappointing when he didn't effect the ball coming in next to him, which lead to a goal, that was the worst play or non play of the day. He can be so hard at the ball almost reckless then this shite , stopping and ball watching.

Yeah that Rich one really stood out, I think half of the docklands heard the couple of times I screamed out in frustration of players and UMPIRES! We've heard it before from players [generally after retirement] that they cringe at the one or two moments in a career where they have shirked a contest. Most go in twice as hard the next game, Dan needs to, was not a good look in front of the kids.

General kudos to Dan, he is on record for backing into the pack in his first year? when we played Port and getting KO'd.

Yeah that Rich one really stood out, I think half of the docklands heard the couple of times I screamed out in frustration of players and UMPIRES! We've heard it before from players [generally after retirement] that they cringe at the one or two moments in a career where they have shirked a contest. Most go in twice as hard the next game, Dan needs to, was not a good look in front of the kids.

General kudos to Dan, he is on record for backing into the pack in his first year? when we played Port and getting KO'd.

I think he might be one of those players that suffer from overthinking. Seems to second guess himself quite a bit.

I really don't get the strong dislike of his game. Took a few solid grabs, disposal was nice, he made a few errors but generally happy to persist here. His kicking and marking stands out to me. wasnt a good fit in that line up either. Bont beat him 1 on 1 that time, but he got back perfectly to that contest without taking his eye off the ball, I don't think Harry Taylor would have stopped that mark given it was coming in so hot, Bont was goal side and he was tracking back and trapped 1 out.
Being hipped out by a player half his size,who then ran in and goaled,was awful.....his selection is totally indulgent.

3. things that if we improve on will make us an instantly better team.

1. Only one tall go up. So many times Big O went up and McStay/Hipwood followed. Big O took 2 defenders with him every single time, meaning one of Hipwood/McStay would've been free to get the loose ball.

2. Improve our defensive speed/workrate. It has rapidly improved but still not good enough IMO. Some posters were saying how good it would be to have Rocky back, that would be an absolute disaster as we can barely compensate for Beams' speed in the midfield. Bring in Paparone for Eagles to play as a 3rd tall and fill in the space with his workrate. People have probably forgotten but under Leppa he saved a ridiculous amount of goals just with his workrate. Whilst he lacks other attributes his defensive running in itself suits the modern game.

3. Senior players other than Zorko and Martin need to lift as they've all been very poor.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Structurally, I’d be happy to drop two talls.

I just don’t know we should be dropping any of our talls just yet. I thought Oscar and McStay were ok. Hipwood? Probably the worst of the three talls but was still really dangerous and draws a quality opponent. Andrews is not going to drop out. Gardiner has had a relatively good year although not as strong in the last two weeks. And Eagles, while I’m not convinced he’s going to play much more senior footy, hasn’t been so bad as to warrant dropping him.

It is an interesting position for us to be in. As individuals, there are good reasons to play all 6 talls but I don’t think it is best for team balance.

3. things that if we improve on will make us an instantly better team.

1. Only one tall go up. So many times Big O went up and McStay/Hipwood followed. Big O took 2 defenders with him every single time, meaning one of Hipwood/McStay would've been free to get the loose ball.

2. Improve our defensive speed/workrate. It has rapidly improved but still not good enough IMO. Some posters were saying how good it would be to have Rocky back, that would be an absolute disaster as we can barely compensate for Beams' speed in the midfield. Bring in Paparone for Eagles to play as a 3rd tall and fill in the space with his workrate. People have probably forgotten but under Leppa he saved a ridiculous amount of goals just with his workrate. Whilst he lacks other attributes his defensive running in itself suits the modern game.

3. Senior players other than Zorko and Martin need to lift as they've all been very poor.

We plod back on defense so often, its a really bad look.

Our effort and application during the first 10 minutes on the 2nd 1/4 was arguably the best weve shown all season. We had them rattled and were hunting them, had a huge appetite for it. Didnt convert once with about 10 opportunities, should he have been 4 goals up.

Seeing the Lions goals on the Facebook page, pretty happy with how we lowered our eyes going into the Forward 50 last weekend to hit a target rather than streaming away and firing blindly for goal.

Also on Rich shirking the contest, at this current point I don’t mind because I’d rather him out there then for him to get hurt by a big impact hit, personally.

Seeing the Lions goals on the Facebook page, pretty happy with how we lowered our eyes going into the Forward 50 last weekend to hit a target rather than streaming away and firing blindly for goal.
Unfortunately Jarrod Berry didn’t twice when he had better options that most certainly would’ve resulted in Lions goals at critical stages of the game.

Unfortunately Jarrod Berry didn’t twice when he had better options that most certainly would’ve resulted in Lions goals at critical stages of the game.
I’ve probably been one of the most negative here after the games in recent weeks but it’s definitely a start. Recent years every shot would have been a 50+ meter kick and hope for goal.

Back