Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What I noticed most of all at the game is that all our players fly for contests where as at least 1 bulldog always stayed down. That led to a few fair goals. Surely thats something that can be sorted out fairly quickly. McStay, Hipwood and Big O got in each others way far too much.

The final score was flattering. We were atrocious for most of the night. Other mob are no good. And lost a player in the first qtr so were down one rotation for rest of the match.

Stef Martin was dominating the centre and yet our midfield got obliterated. Beams must be injured because he was non existent. Fagan seemed obsessed with changing the centre square combinations every bounce. He had Rayner in there many times and I don't think he touched it once - in fact Rayner looked very sore and I wonder if he should have been playing?

Christensen is just pure lazy right now - that goes for Rich as well. I have lost count the amount of times Rich loses his feet in a contest and his opponent runs away from him. Lewy Taylor after playing so well last week took three steps back tonight. He takes some terrible options.

Zac Bailey made errors but least he took the game on and tried to things. Keep him in the side he is the future. Oscar was good up forward and at the ground I can tell you every time the ball got kicked to him one out the Dogs player just held his arm every time - should have got at least three or four free kicks but of course we never do.

Charlie was amazing but tell you what he is lucky he kicked that goal on his left. He was barely on an angle. He is the reason we are losing by small margins and not 6+ goals. We have a lot of work to do.

And why didn't Fagan tag McRae ? If its good enough for every other club to tag but not us apparently.

If there are any positives I think McStay, Hipwood and Big O together look alright and can only get better.

Other than Zorko and Martin, the senior players aren't providing anything that someone in the reserves wouldn't. Mainly Beams, Hodge, Christensen and Rich.

Dodongo is sick of the negativity around here. Dodongo wants a lot of people to get a grip. Dodongo thinks people expect us to win every game and win the flag and Dodongo will point out that s**t won't happen so ******* don't expect wins each ******* week against weak teams because it won't happen.

Dodongo will also point out how close we are to a win. Dodongo wants you to look forward a year from now, with one more years development in this squad, we would be sitting at about 4 wins. Small losses with skill errors are bound to happen. Dodongo wants you to go read TBD's post back on page 1 or page 2. Dodongo compares last year to getting floggings to this year losing by small margins. In a years time, we will be winning these matches.

Dodongo thinks if people can't see that and start to be positive about this group, then don't watch the games. Wait until we start winning and then jump back on board. Dodongo will point out the wins will come next year.

Dodongo also thinks some harsh words are being said about some of the players. Dodongo thinks that shouldn't be the case. Dodongo knows they are trying really hard and Dodongo sees improvement. If no one else sees improvement, then Dodongo doesn't know what matches you are watching because they certainly aren't our ones.

The final score was flattering. We were atrocious for most of the night. Other mob are no good. And lost a player in the first qtr so were down one rotation for rest of the match.

Stef Martin was dominating the centre and yet our midfield got obliterated. Beams must be injured because he was non existent. Fagan seemed obsessed with changing the centre square combinations every bounce. He had Rayner in there many times and I don't think he touched it once - in fact Rayner looked very sore and I wonder if he should have been playing?

Christensen is just pure lazy right now - that goes for Rich as well. I have lost count the amount of times Rich loses his feet in a contest and his opponent runs away from him. Lewy Taylor after playing so well last week took three steps back tonight. He takes some terrible options.

Zac Bailey made errors but least he took the game on and tried to things. Keep him in the side he is the future. Oscar was good up forward and at the ground I can tell you every time the ball got kicked to him one out the Dogs player just held his arm every time - should have got at least three or four free kicks but of course we never do.

Charlie was amazing but tell you what he is lucky he kicked that goal on his left. He was barely on an angle. He is the reason we are losing by small margins and not 6+ goals. We have a lot of work to do.

And why didn't Fagan tag McRae ? If its good enough for every other club to tag but not us apparently.
Agree with everything u said there mate. Christensen, Beams and Rich simply didn't lead from the front. Beams looks seriously off and a shell of his former self. Body language was also terrible. Our leaders are really letting us down.

Well that was frustrating. We ddin't deseve to win, but some observations:
Mitch Robinson goes to ground far too often in midfield contests. It's an outdated style of play that no longer cuts it. If you don't believe me look at Ronke's goals from last night. Sure his tackling efforts are great, but we dominated hitouts and still lost stoppages. His role needs to be as a pressure forward or defender, with occasional midfield time, but we need to start keeping our feet in contests.
Eagles is promising as a key defender. The problem is more that Gardiner and Hodge play the same role and there's not room for both of them. I don't think Gardiner can play small, he goes up in every marking contest and no one is down. He lacks the agility to compete with small forwards.
No point saying we're too tall when our small players lost the game tonight, and that was such a winnable game if we'd brought our best performance. Bundy has not earned his spot and Bell was only given one game for that sort of butchering disposal. Bailey would benefit from a spell in the NEAFL and Rayner needs a rest. Last week probably saves Taylor, but only just.
We do need to find another midfielder who can compete more consistently and a smaller running defender.
No crumbing forwards tonight? We marked the ball well, but seemed a bit lost if we didn't.
That said, I think we will beat Sydney in two weeks time and are a real chance against Hawthorn. I think the boys might get up next week for Fages, and I hope we get it right at selection and forget about development for a week or two and just pick the best side to win. I know we supposedly do that at the moment, but I'm not convinced.

Dodongo is sick of the negativity around here. Dodongo wants a lot of people to get a grip. Dodongo thinks people expect us to win every game and win the flag and Dodongo will point out that s**t won't happen so ******* don't expect wins each ******* week against weak teams because it won't happen.

Dodongo will also point out how close we are to a win. Dodongo wants you to look forward a year from now, with one more years development in this squad, we would be sitting at about 4 wins. Small losses with skill errors are bound to happen. Dodongo wants you to go read TBD's post back on page 1 or page 2. Dodongo compares last year to getting floggings to this year losing by small margins. In a years time, we will be winning these matches.

Dodongo thinks if people can't see that and start to be positive about this group, then don't watch the games. Wait until we start winning and then jump back on board. Dodongo will point out the wins will come next year.

Dodongo also thinks some harsh words are being said about some of the players. Dodongo thinks that shouldn't be the case. Dodongo knows they are trying really hard and Dodongo sees improvement. If no one else sees improvement, then Dodongo doesn't know what matches you are watching because they certainly aren't our ones.

Getting flogged so many times was tough but at least we won 5 games.

Anyone get the reasoning behind our defence of opposition kick ins with two blokes standing a bit back on each edge of the goal square? Haven't noticed it before.

Anyone get the reasoning behind our defence of opposition kick ins with two blokes standing a bit back on each edge of the goal square? Haven't noticed it before.

Stop them from playin on I guess.

I haven't felt so down heartened after a Brissie loss for many years. There has been very little improvement over the last year or so. WE have finished last two years in a row(I disregard the Essendon anomaly ) and now we are firmly, and I mean firmly, ensconced at number 18.

Let's go through it.

Harris Andrews: several games this year, early on, he was towelled up. He will play 150 games but be another Merrett, a handy player in a poor team. Gets comprehensively beaten far too often to be a good key back

Hipwood : At this stage he is simply not up to a key forward position. No where near. He is a future star and tonight he got his hands on the ball a few more times than his average, but butchered the ball. At this stage of his development he is a liability at CHF.

Christensen : Not a league footballer

Cutler : Battler at best but his long kicks cause some people to rate him

Hodge : The game has passed him by. Ditto Eagles

McStay : Last week he had one disposal up to couple of minutes before half time. A lucky free kick and a goal just before half time, other wise he had a shocker half. He cannot be called a player when he has so few runs on the board and goes comprehensively missing for quarters

Lewis Taylor : Has there ever been a player that applies less physical pressure than Lewis? Skills, well he snuffed out any chance of us winning tonight.

Beams : When he wins a few frees from hard tackles I will be a fan. I do not think he is fit enough to play the way he did at Collingwood.

We have a full list with no injuries, but still suck. To further depress everyone here is my ins for next week

Lester
Bell
Bastinac
Bewick
Walker
Mathierson

Drop who you like, we will be still last. Our list stinks and will require a few more years to revamp it.

From what I've heard from someone who knows the playing group very well at geelong he did and the other player gave the club the choice him or bundy, Hopefully bundy pisses off at this season end aswell which from what ive heard it most likely happening

I was at the game tonight. Honestly I couldn’t give a rats clacker who slept with whom in their previous club/life. I care about the game plan and the ability of our players to execute that plan. I’m amazed that we were that close to their score in the end. Supporters around me up on level 3 groaned, cheered but mostly shook their heads at the execution. I thought Cutler was really good tonight - he chased and tried. I wish I could say the same for Rich who when he is bad is very bad. I can see the improvement in various players and our capacity not to give us when the game seems done. Berry will be a really good player and McStay brings some grunt. Frustrating night because we could have had them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the body language of the players at the game I got the sense that the confidence might just be all dried up. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see a couple of 80+ point trashings over the next two weeks. Just have a feeling that we are about to go off the cliff.

Oh but it’s okay as we won 3 flags and starred in 4 grand finals on the trot 14 years ago. :huh:
They were great years. I’d be happy to see us even get close to making the Eight before 2023

I certainly don't expect to win every week Dodongo, but at times it was like watching my sons under 9s team. Particulary the 3rd quarter. Simple chest marks dropped and too many fumbles under not a lot of pressure. I'm generally pretty positive about the team, but as a supporter was really let down tonight.

Bulldogs match report “feasted on Brisbane’s turnovers for most of the game’.

That’s it in a nutshell. Turnovers are coming from shortages in skills and confidence, and maybe not in that order.

If we don’t jag a game soon I think it’s possible we could go backwards. I hope Fagan really is as good as his press cause getting theses players up each week is going to be a massive ask.

God damn it the toxicity on her stinks. We have elite young talent, we are going to be a gun side in a few years, mark my words.

Have you ever seen a team directly gift goals to their opponent so much in the history of the game?

Yeah? Well we are doing that and only losing games by 14 points. We do so much right, but what we do wrong; we do so so wrong. That will improve.

Every week I read our game day threads. And everyone here blames the umpires.

It’s not their ****en fault. We are just s**t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
True mate, but Fisher is terrible. Has made some laughable decisions over the past month.

Now that some of the wild rage has died down from the usual suspects, a few observations:

- Bailey makes mistakes and tries to do too much (and I hope he keeps trying) but he needs to stay and keep developing at this level. He is going to be seriously good. He will learn nothing at NEAFL level. A year or two from now we won’t care about the mistakes he made learning to play at this level in 2018.

- Oscar is definitely a keeper. He can tackle, mark, kick goals and gets around the ground well. In time he will be ready to take over from Stef but looks really useful up forward.

- best game up forward by McStay...by a mile. He positioned himself well and most importantly showed some defensive nous and energy. Something of a breakthrough.

-Taylor will get crucified here for a few mistakes at critical stages but there is no one better in NEAFL to run angles on transition. Not his best game tonight but still...we actually need him.

- Berry is right on the verge of becoming a genuine game changer. It might not happen this season but it will. He is going to keep getting better for quite a while yet. He can instinctively be where he needs to be.

- The day Robbo retires we should hire him as our tackling coach.

- Hipwood was much more creative tonight and got into dangerous positions. Some work to do on the kicking but it will come. He is dangerous with the ball out in front of him running towards goal.

-I like Eagles. Eventually I hope that the likes of Payne and Skinner come in but right now he is a big body who impacts contests.

- we actually matched the Bulldogs intensity for much of the game. They were just cleaner and more accurate when it mattered. Any time in the last four years we would have lost this game by 60 and been out of it by half time - I have no doubt.

- One urgent thing we need to learn: pack marks in the hot spot - someone has to stay out the back! At both ends of the ground! We gift goals to the opposition and miss goals ourselves because of this.

Disappointing loss...but not the effort. We learn from it and keep working.

I haven't felt so down heartened after a Brissie loss for many years. There has been very little improvement over the last year or so. WE have finished last two years in a row(I disregard the Essendon anomaly ) and now we are firmly, and I mean firmly, ensconced at number 18.

Let's go through it.

Harris Andrews: several games this year, early on, he was towelled up. He will play 150 games but be another Merrett, a handy player in a poor team. Gets comprehensively beaten far too often to be a good key back

Hipwood : At this stage he is simply not up to a key forward position. No where near. He is a future star and tonight he got his hands on the ball a few more times than his average, but butchered the ball. At this stage of his development he is a liability at CHF.

Christensen : Not a league footballer

Cutler : Battler at best but his long kicks cause some people to rate him

Hodge : The game has passed him by. Ditto Eagles

McStay : Last week he had one disposal up to couple of minutes before half time. A lucky free kick and a goal just before half time, other wise he had a shocker half. He cannot be called a player when he has so few runs on the board and goes comprehensively missing for quarters

Lewis Taylor : Has there ever been a player that applies less physical pressure than Lewis? Skills, well he snuffed out any chance of us winning tonight.

Beams : When he wins a few frees from hard tackles I will be a fan. I do not think he is fit enough to play the way he did at Collingwood.

We have a full list with no injuries, but still suck. To further depress everyone here is my ins for next week

Lester
Bell
Bastinac
Bewick
Walker
Mathierson

Drop who you like, we will be still last. Our list stinks and will require a few more years to revamp it.

Bit of overkill here.

Back