Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2010
The Tree Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
SF 49ers, Arsenal
If roughy's form was bad then how about dropping stratton if he doesn't pull his finger out? caption or not he has played worse than roughy. Hope this is a good wake up call for the seniors coz the kids are actually putting in more effort than the older blokes

IMO dropping Rough was brutal and even unprecedented. This means that a benchmark has been set and even the captain is not safe. Older players who aren't performing might feel that they are under siege and for good reason. Rough and Burgoyne might be in their final year but they could be joined by others if players don't pull up their socks. Another opinion I had at the end of last year was that the team is now in a new era and a new leadership was required to give the team a new identity, so to speak. This is my view for the way forward, finding a new driving force for the team and players to take ownership of performances and a new leadership to refresh the team. It is not based on specific individuals which sadly, is how many people approach these matters.

Rev08

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2008
Sunny coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
Those worrying about Frawley playing over Brand don't be, Brand won't be part of our next premiership assault anyways I wouldn't have thought.

Spot on. I think his inability to handle ground balls the last two weeks signed his papers unfortunately.

Encouraged by TOB's fortnight though so maybe we can make a footballer out of him yet? (Ducks for cover)

What's with the sarcasm Mr Moderator Man?

Peddling this for a while now?

Are you a former writer for the footy show or neighbours?

Are you really a moderator?

Sorry how many posts did I make regarding this issue? One post?
Well including this reply, 3 times in this thread so far

I think if you read what I said; Rough's form for a while now has warranted him sadly being dropped. Perhaps you may have read previous posts where I said was a big fan of Roughead and admire what he's gone through with his cancer treatment / ordeal.
I don't have an issue with this, it's the conspiracy that the half time talk to Wingard has anything to do with it

No, he is not a leader as in the Captain as now that is Ben Stratton.
He is a leader. He was the Captain, he was the Vice before that, he's been the leader for the forward line for the best part of a decade. He's the senior player in that forward line. Burgoyne tells blokes what to do, he's told Chad what to do, I don't see you potting him for overstepping his authority

But if you mean is he in the leadership group then personally as a leader I would should show more "assertiveness" as you say IN THE CHANGE ROOMS NOT humiliating someone in front of the cameras and supporters of both clubs especially when new to the club!
Again, how was Chad humiliated. Exchanges like that happen all the time at footy clubs, worse happen on field. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill

As for Chad being fragile, I would also be fragile / embarrassed if it were me and would have said to Rough later in the rooms, could you have not made your point behind closed doors buddy?
Do you know what was said? If not how do you know there was anything to be fragile about?

Not sure if Rough would have been so animated to a player like Tony Lockett, Barry Hall or Mark Jackson like that? I don't think so, as would probably get knocked out by his teammate or later in the rooms which I don't think would do much for club harmony.
So now he's a bully picking on smaller blokes? Mate Rough has been the glue at the club for a long time. He was the guy that used to look after the other players kids before he had his own, nobody has a bad word to say about him for a reason.

You may also have read where I was seething as to what we gave up for Wingard as far as Burton and two picks as thought madness. At the moment not a huge Chad fan, however he is a human and plays for the Hawthorn F.C. and we may agree to disagree but I personally do not like one player berating another on the ground in his third or fourth game when all the camera's are on him as personally don't like it. Some indigenous players need a bit of extra care is just a fact.

I may speculate that Brendon Goddard had another year or two of football left in him but his on field tantrums were not appreciated or a good look for the Essendon F.C.

As for the tipping point for Clarko that is just my opinion / speculation that incident would not have helped Roughead's cause in staying in the side, poor form aside.

Clarkson and co and the Hawthorn Football Club have invested a lot of money and picks in Wingard as future key forward for the next five or so years, so believe they would want to protect that large investment and make the player settle in to a new environment with ease.

Hope that clears things up Mr Moderator Man!
This whole section, where to begin, so now Rough is like Goddard and this is a career ending move?

He shouldn't have talked to Chad like that because he is indigenous and Chad cost a lot in trade and can't be questioned?

You are drawing so many long bows, creating a lot of drama, and frankly treating Rough rather poorly, which was my original point. Nothing you've posted has cleared that up as you say, just confirmed that you're going way over the top on this.

Last edited:

lickmerocks

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2007
heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Kings,
Those that are calling for stratton to be dropped need to understand he is not doing anything different or less than he has done before.

Stratton is a dour defensive stopper. This is what he has always been. He has never been highly skilled by foot.

The club and players chose him to be skipper and we need to remember what he was and what he will always be whether he is skipper or not.

The decision to appoint Stratton as skipper was a short term plan. 2 years in the role max and groom a few more to take the mantle and run with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most expect us to lose mate. It'll be how we lose.

It won’t matter one bit
The same posters calling for change and potting players will be the ones in here bitching and moaning come Sunday night and no doubt calling for a clean out and “youth” to be played and then rinse and repeat next round.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Those that are calling for stratton to be dropped need to understand he is not doing anything different or less than he has done before.

Stratton is a dour defensive stopper. This is what he has always been. He has never been highly skilled by foot.

The club and players chose him to be skipper and we need to remember what he was and what he will always be whether he is skipper or not.

The decision to appoint Stratton as skipper was a short term plan. 2 years in the role max and groom a few more to take the mantle and run with it.

I'm not calling for him to be dropped dude, but I completely disagree.

He is butchering the ball by foot.
He had his pants pulled down by Tory Dickson.
Last season, he showed he can be an intercept marking defender. We have not seen any of that this year.

He wouldn't be anywhere near our top 10 in the b&f at present.

Spot on. I think his inability to handle ground balls the last two weeks signed his papers unfortunately.

Encouraged by TOB's fortnight though so maybe we can make a footballer out of him yet? (Ducks for cover)

Doesn’t Brand get as many opportunities as TOB? Or straight to delisting? TOB has played much worse games than Brand, and is only now showing slightly more sustained glimpses. Worth persisting.

How about I keep my expectations high but don't lose my **** all over the internet if we lose? ;)
Hopefully that catches on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back