Preview Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Eagles

Votes: 43 55.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rice has been pretty good as a forward. Seems like a strange move but it surprisingly works.

Bailey is a smart footballer , fearful he might not be on list for much longer ,due to his aerobic speed.

Bloody fearless , very nice kick , good mark for his size , and selfless team player.

Not sure why we recruit specific players like Hind for example, who put in big efforts in the VFL yet don't get selected for the senior team that lacks good outside run. Not saying he is world beater, but seems to have a bit of what we lack. I can only presume the match committee think that WCE has a slow midfield to bring Dunstan in. Clark was not up to it last week, and the same for Marsh- both just need to build their endurance..I think Marsh was tried out to really see what stage of fitness he was at.
I would hope that we see Gresh and Long get a bit more consistency in their game after the last couple of weeks- just floating in and out of the games is not good enough. Bruce and Membrey need to really get up and about too. Not sure where Phillips fits in, or what they have planned for him, but I hope he goes OK.

By dropping 3 players bought in a week before and by picking one with minimal clear form?

Don’t get me wrong I hope they smash it but it’s strange regardless
It may cause some people to raise an eyebrow, but I don't think anyone could argue those changes aren't warranted and that they dont make us a better side.

All this selection says is that last weeks selection was inept.
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But I tend to think that the Club realistically thought last week's game - against the Giants, away, with all our injuries - was a pawn that needed to be sacrificed. So they may have just brought those guys in, and left others out, for other purposes: conditioning, match-practice, etc.

For example, I could easily understand the club saying that getting Joyce to learn playing on Cameron, and giving Brown a joke game at Sandy, would ultimately prove better for both players, and for the team in the long run. Brown seemed remarkably laid-back for the Zebras by all reports - maybe that was deliberate, so he'd have a chance to freshen up a little before going against the West Coast forwards like Kennedy.

Not sure why we recruit specific players like Hind for example, who put in big efforts in the VFL yet don't get selected for the senior team that lacks good outside run. Not saying he is world beater, but seems to have a bit of what we lack. I can only presume the match committee think that WCE has a slow midfield to bring Dunstan in. Clark was not up to it last week, and the same for Marsh- both just need to build their endurance..I think Marsh was tried out to really see what stage of fitness he was at.
I would hope that we see Gresh and Long get a bit more consistency in their game after the last couple of weeks- just floating in and out of the games is not good enough. Bruce and Membrey need to really get up and about too. Not sure where Phillips fits in, or what they have planned for him, but I hope he goes OK.
Which defender from our current group would you drop to fit in Hind?

who would we replace him with?

i think longs been pretty good this season
He's been my biggest disappointment. Since that game against GWS last year he's had a flashy moment or two but hasn't done much consistently.

I really feel for Clark who's been dropped twice yet Long, Kent and Acres have been allowed to have back to back (and back sometimes) poor performances and stick around.

I'd like to have seen Rice come in for Long this week. Show Long he needs to fight to keep his spot, see what Rice can do now that he's been training and playing as a forward.

Yep, Hind seems hard done by, I'll agree with that. I was expecting him to come in rather than Philips.

I like your theory about Marsh - it fits nicely with my sacrificing a pawn theory, at least.

I like Brown and Dunstan in, but like someone else said Hind is very unlucky also plays similar position to Phillips. Happy for Phillips to be getting a game, but by all reports Hind has been consistently playing on a scale of good to amazing every game.

Dont like dropping players after one game, but Hunters been given a few games this season and thought the coaching group have addressed it well. Marsh was stoked and surprised to get a game early so think it will only be good for him to get a taste and go back and get form and fitness. Joyce gets a taste and goes back with something to work on. Dont think hed be too low on confidence after weve trusted him with the full back position against gws.

Looking forward to a big win against the coasters. Saints by 45

Maybe needs to be on a wing, not so much a defender- dunno?? Just saying that I thought we recruited Hind to bolster outside run which we are not hugely good at right now, and we are not such a great team that everyone is a star and can't be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But I tend to think that the Club realistically thought last week's game - against the Giants, away, with all our injuries - was a pawn that needed to be sacrificed. So they may have just brought those guys in, and left others out, for other purposes: conditioning, match-practice, etc.

For example, I could easily understand the club saying that getting Joyce to learn playing on Cameron, and giving Brown a joke game at Sandy, would ultimately prove better for both players, and for the team in the long run. Brown seemed remarkably laid-back for the Zebras by all reports - maybe that was deliberate, so he'd have a chance to freshen up a little before going against the West Coast forwards like Kennedy.
Problem is we'll never know what's said behind closed doors, what's been said to players about promotion and demotion.

Maybe needs to be on a wing, not so much a defender- dunno?? Just saying that I thought we recruited Hind to bolster outside run which we are not hugely good at right now, and we are not such a great team that everyone is a star and can't be dropped.
Plays off half back in the VFL and there is already a cue forming to play on the wing. I'd like to see him play too, but I don't think anyone from the defensive group deserves to be dropped.

Would not have played Webster ....no need with sore hand .
Personally would have been more strategic.

White and Hind in the backline give Jimmy a weeks break to fully recover.
Paton instead of Long .......tag West Coast half back line Hurn in particular.
Would have kept Marsh in team purely for versatility...Marshall gets sore game over.

Bruce is not a ruckman ...the end.

West Coast ... Kennedy , Darling , Waterman , Allen ..all mobile talls on a fast track ...they can also
throw Vardy , Yeo forward our team is short on team balance .

Adelaide scenario for mine ...all our eggs in one basket......

I see ya point but think his influence & the intangibles he brings to the group defines the type of footy we want to play. campaigner factor. Needs to turn his good quarters into good games though.
Clark most tackles last week with 6 and Long with 0 tackles 1 kick 4 HB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back