Preview Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Eagles

Votes: 43 55.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I find the management of Joyce a bit odd. He was in ripping form over the pre-season but they couldn't find a spot in the side for him after round 1. Then bring him in to play on Cameron, the best forward around at the moment, and drop him after one game. Mostly, it was just a strange time to bring him in, and then I find it a bit odd to now drop him as he was pretty good in the second half.

With Phillips, I think they're hoping for a similar situation to Paton who has really found his feet at AFL level this year.

If we are going to win I think Marshall has to destroy Vardy. This is very possible.

You presume any coaching panel and selection committee would look at why we lost the last two games by a lot of goals, and try and select a team to address the problems, putting it simply. The midfield is a big worry, and the only option is to keep rejigging it, so in comes Dunstan probably to add a bit of strength in there, as some of the mids have either not got first use of the ball, or have been stripped of it too easily.
I think Bruce, Membrey and Gresh owe us a big game, so let's see how we go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not happy. 3 players in for 1 week then straight out.
With the state of our injury list team selection is a matter of damage control atm. I'm sure the players are well aware of the situation and not taking it personally. Not having Stuv, Jake, Robbo, Gears and Hanners means the support isn't there to give under performing youngsters an extended run without endangering our chances of winning and based on performance there is justification for dropping each them. It's not ideal by any stretch, but the coaches are obviously trying to establish some base of performance standards to build from. By comparison, if we had say Fyfe, Mundy and Walters in our midfield to do the heavy lifting, then Hunter would get more of a run. We are a work in progress..

His problem isn't finding and winning the ball.

His problem is staying off the pine.

Therefore passmark = >70% TOG.

The possies and his impact will take care of itself if he can spend far less time off the ground.

Agreed. His CP % is fine and his possessions per minute is also good. He, like everyone else (superstar Fyfe included) can't find the ball when his butt is on the pine.

Agreed. His CP % is fine and his possessions per minute is also good. He, like everyone else (superstar Fyfe included) can't find the ball when his butt is on the pine.

His possies per minute is actually exceptional.
If he played the same minutes (~80-85%) as the rest of our midfielders who have more than a few preseasons under their belt- he'd get 30+ touches every single week.

He'd be our tom mitchell/matt crouch etc ball pig.
Alas he his TOG % started ~65% as an 18 year old and hasn't budged since.

His possies per minute is actually exceptional.
If he played the same minutes (~80-85%) as the rest of our midfielders who have more than a few preseasons under their belt- he'd get 30+ touches every single week.

He'd be our tom mitchell/matt crouch etc ball pig.
Alas he his TOG % started ~65% as an 18 year old and hasn't budged since.
Hmmmm! I wonder why?
Do you subscribe to the theory, it's because he has no tank?

Or are you just as baffled as some of us who have been watching closely from afar now as to another possible reason?
Seeing this never seems to be a problem in the VFL or the rare times he has been given a TOG more in keeping with most midfielders
In the seniors?

Unfortunately I don't think he's at all damaging though. Most of his touches are nothing touches.

Hind has line breaking pace and is showing in the VFL he can find plenty of it.

Beggars can't be choosers at the moment- even if dunstan isn't damaging enough when he gets it- he still gets it.

I just checked and every win we've had this year we either won the possession count or practically broke even.
Conversely, in every loss this year- we've had ~15% less of the ball than the opposition.

We came into the year very skinny on midfielders who get the ball.
Noone has stepped up so far in regard, and jack steven out turns this major weakness into a massive weakness.

We need the ball in our hands more before we start worrying about how 'damaging' or effective the blokes are who have it.

Unfortunately I don't think he's at all damaging though. Most of his touches are nothing touches.

Hind has line breaking pace and is showing in the VFL he can find plenty of it.
I agree with that. But he does look for targets and doesn't bomb long, so that's a good start IMO..

I agree with that. But he does look for targets and doesn't bomb long, so that's a good start IMO..
It was interestingto hear Rooey's thoughts on why we seem to still bomb the ball long so often. He thinks there is no other option due to our slow ball movement from the back line, which does make sense. Not sure why we were doing it last year though when we were moving the ball faster.

Anyway, I do think the bombing long is more of a game plan issue rather than a personel one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back