Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Snailspace13

Club Legend
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah we only made consecutive prelims under GT and a semi final before he was sacked by Butters who has now admitted he has a drug/booze problem.

Meanwhile Richo coasts along with a similar coaching tenure as GT with no finals to show for it.

GT is a winner and Richo is a loser.

Yet we sack a winner and keep a loser, classic St Kilda.
Richo has nowhere near the Talent of Players available to him that GT had

Elvis Winmar

Senior List
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just quietly, how bloody good is Josh Battle going to be?

He’s already showing some wonderful traits; reads the ball well in the air, great hands, knows when to intercept mark and when to spoil, makes good decisions with ball in hand and has got the skill to execute those decisions.

I know he gets beaten or finds himself out of position occasionally, but he doesn’t look like a bloke who’s played half a dozen games in defense.

We could be looking at a future AA CHB.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I think you'll find Brown week start getting phased out, with Carlisle at FB
I think that will depend on the progress of you know who.

If he, unlike pretty much every tall forward high draft pick, looks like a starting 22 player straight away, Brown will be phased out but if he looks a little off it by the time Carlisle is ready then I'd prefer Battle to the forward line rather than dropping Brown or Wilkie.

Savage Brown Geary

McKenzie Carlisle Wilkie

Kent Bruce Membrey

Lonie Battle Parker

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
Couldn’t agree more. I honestly think unless we are able to pick up 1 or 2 mid twenty year old gun midfielders through trades (which seems highly unlikely) we will be stuck outside the eight until we draft another couple of gun mids which will also then take a couple of years to develop them like Clark at the moment. It also makes me wonder whether our development is set up right with Clark under performing and coffield with all the traits to be a gun mid not getting a run at sandy through the middle.

I agree. The reality is we just haven’t drafted many genuine midfielders. That needs to change.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Marsh fits the bill to replace Roberton when hes ready and capable. Austin to replace Brown.

Snailspace13

Club Legend
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
She was an absolute shocker.....seemed to be making calls too far from the play and I wondered if she second guessed some of her calls.

Stood up and gave her a fearful spray just before half time.
She umpired this AFL game like she was umpiring a Netball game.
2 of her decisions against Brown close to goal were good examples.
Soft as butter decisions.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tell you the truth I'm sort of gutted we lost , Eagles , Crows were winnable games and with not having just a couple of our best 22 we have thrown the games away.
We all know we need a elite mid and a goal kicking forward.

We need Steven , Hannerbery and Carlisle back if we are going to play finals.

Long gave nothing last week and again this week - he can't be gifted games

Anyway all is not lost our back line did a good job today and the more games we get into Battle , Wilkie , Paton the better we will be in the future.

I would throw caution to the wind next week and bring in Hind , Marsh and drop Long and Parker - let them show us they can play 4 quarters - they may have x-factor but Jesus they have been hardly sighted some weeks / don't get me wrong I love what Parker brings but he is not doing enough.

Even bring in Blocker Rice , even he would of showed more over 4 quarters or Langlands or Young - and Rice doesn't have the class of Parker and Long.
The selectors can't let these guys get away with going missing in these games.

Hopefully we can get some enjoyment from Winx tomorrow.

We play ridiculous dumb football unfortunately handball happy to guys a metre away under pressure
just needed to kick the ball to players in the clear , just little or no composure.

Total brain fades unfortunately ,gifted easy goals .

Tackled poorly last night , pretty much 2018 performance

Regardless of personal out , selection questionable , tactically dumb having Bruce 60 metres
from goal, had a number of opportunities last night to kick the ball forward through centre of the
ground , just lazy half arsed kicking the ball care factor nil Ross , Webster in particular.
Regretably Newnes had a shocker all night , but had a really good year .

Could have easily won with some brainpower , typical Stkilda performance of recent years.

Membrey , Sinclair , Ross , featured highly , unfortunately

Positives for year for me Battle , Wilkie & Marshall .

As for umpires well you know what you get with them ......not much.

Annoying part of the competition as a whole perception top teams Collingwood, West Coast
get gifted them week in week out , even when playing poorly ( stats don’t lie )
Thought Donlan & Nicholls missed a lot ..unfortunately the other one just guessed .

Certainly weren’t the reason we lost last night though .

**** umpiring. Murdered the ball and plenty of chances for goals. So pretty stock standard. Lack of effort at times really disappointing. Especially in the midfield. Need to bring in some fresh blood.

Parker due a rest. Young and Hind must come in! Few of boys are coasting at the moment.
Parker for a rest maybe , Long well he is a cert for a spell , he was pathetic

OxSaint

All Australian
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
i do have to ask , how does Acres deserve a spot , hes played one good game for the year , is that enough ? Or is this just your favourite players ? Also Hanners hasnt yet played for us so how does he get in the side ? We dont yet know if he will be any good.
Brown stiff to miss out . i would have either Wilkie or Paton ahead of Savage but thats just my opinion . Tough on Newnes but some players have to miss of course.

Brown is stiff but only one of Brown and Battle can play in that Backline with Carlisle and robbo. Battle rise can’t be ignored. Plus brown has just come back from being dropped so obviously not a lock.

Savage has been the focal point of our rebound. On this year’s form he holds his spot.

Hanners with match fitness always plays. If not him then who? Hunter? Dunstan? I don’t think so. Dunstan just come off a good game but let’s not get carried away.

Acres provides us with some flexibility. Rucks which keeps Bruce forward more. Can play forward when the talls need a spell and provide a contest. Plus provides some spark when playing mid/wing. Yes he’s not perfect but he makes us a better team. Newnes is unlucky here but he can’t pinch hit in the Ruck or relieve the talls up forward.

Mckenzie is about the only other one worth discussing but his disposal is suspect and there are 5 better defensive smalls in front of him. He can obviously defend admirably but having 2 x geary in the backline won’t work on rebound. We turn it over or move the ball sideways to avoid a harder kick enough.

I think you might overrate the rest of our list.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
That could be a long time away though.. Maybe never the way it’s tracking with some of the above mentioned. I’d love to see them all in and absolutely would make a difference. But can only comment on what we have at the moment.
We have not one elite mid. I’m struggling to find an A grader. Steven was/is. Billings more not full mid and Gresh is really a forward so far.
Common sense post.

Some of those kids will come good in a few years, some won't.

The ones that should be hitting their straps are too hot and cold.

Parker for a rest maybe , Long well he is a cert for a spell , he was pathetic

I think The Panther is a bit sore, i thought he would of run out of legs a few games ago, coming into the AFL and playing 8 straight, i didnt think he would play that many in one hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ouzo did all of that long before Eleni was born.

I've woken up with my head in a vice and the word ouzo has just brought up some very bad memories. No hang over like ouzo, you can still taste it 2 days alter.

Battle was great tonight. Loving his improvement this season. He and Carlisle will form a great duo when Jake is back.

We had 3 free kicks to half time, with two of those being out on the fulls.
We had every right to be frustrated.

One of our frees was paid after we'd already marked. They had at east 2 frees in that time directly in front of goal, I get the arms were chopped a bit but they were chopping as well but they put the whistle away. The marks not paid later other players touched the ball before the second grab and they were paid. It was as bad as it gets. You just want consistent...they got confused and were consistently s**t.

Not been sexiest but Eleni should never be allowed to umpire again.

Bit AFL will come clean tomorrow morning saying all the decisions were correct.

The worst thing is a Hawks mate was complaining about how bad she was last year and I just put it down to him being sexist and not used to getting kissed on the dick by the maggots. He was saying she was below junior level umpires and couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. He was actually right, she's the worst umpire in the AFL by far. Razor ray looks a step up and he's a clown.

Tell you the truth I'm sort of gutted we lost , Eagles , Crows were winnable games and with not having just a couple of our best 22 we have thrown the games away.
We all know we need a elite mid and a goal kicking forward.

We need Steven , Hannerbery and Carlisle back if we are going to play finals.

Long gave nothing last week and again this week - he can't be gifted games

Anyway all is not lost our back line did a good job today and the more games we get into Battle , Wilkie , Paton the better we will be in the future.

I would throw caution to the wind next week and bring in Hind , Marsh and drop Long and Parker - let them show us they can play 4 quarters - they may have x-factor but Jesus they have been hardly sighted some weeks / don't get me wrong I love what Parker brings but he is not doing enough.

Even bring in Blocker Rice , even he would of showed more over 4 quarters or Langlands or Young - and Rice doesn't have the class of Parker and Long.
The selectors can't let these guys get away with going missing in these games.

Hopefully we can get some enjoyment from Winx tomorrow.

Yeah, Long needs a rest with Rice and Young able to play that role should be dropped. Hind would have been handy to break lines, I'd like to use him like Pettrucceli and just create havoc up front with his pace.

Long has to go, he's all sizzle and no sausage.

He'll give us a couple of moments where we all go wow that's good and do nothing else.

Our greatest indigenous player gave us sizzle but he also backed it up with a fair bit of sausage.

Winmar made the transition from flash in the pan forward to midfield maestro.

He's in my Top 5 Greatest Saints along with Lockett, Harvey, Riewoldt and Hayes.

Long has played some good games but two in a row with nearly zero impact is time to rest. He's still an inexperienced player and looks like he must be carrying something.

Sounds like payback for the Noise Of Affirmation comment last year. A photo of Richo with a bullseye scrawled on it in red pen up on the wall in the Director Of Umpiring office at HQ since he said that.

Complained round one as well. They are reasonable for a few weeks then pull out the stiletto while your back is turned.

I haven't seen the match yet, but plenty here throwing shade at the umpiring, specifically the female umpire.

I take it all the male ones got their calls correct?

They were all s**t but she was miked up so you could hear her constant poor decision making.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think The Panther is a bit sore, i thought he would of run out of legs a few games ago, coming into the AFL and playing 8 straight, i didnt think he would play that many in one hit.
I reckon Panther, Long, Young (If pulls finger out) could rotate through fwd line (play 4 rest 2).
Need to keep fresh and fatigue seems to have hit the first 2.
Both will be great players for us but early days bodies / workload need to be managed.

Yeah we only made consecutive prelims under GT and a semi final before he was sacked by Butters who has now admitted he has a drug/booze problem.

Meanwhile Richo coasts along with a similar coaching tenure as GT with no finals to show for it.

GT is a winner and Richo is a loser.

Yet we sack a winner and keep a loser, classic St Kilda.
Beers ,,, Many mate , compare the lists and get back to me

We simply don’t have the cattle. I think our structures look ok. We can compete for periods against good sides, just don’t have the players to kick a score.

I think some more hard calls years end need to happen if we’re to improve again.

I still think we need to go shopping for FA, we are going to be a lot more appealing with a bit of momentum. We don't need spots with Roberton and Paddy unlikely to come back and Longer and Pierce looking like it would take a miracle to be on our list. Probably another couple like Rice that might struggle to get another go. We can't afford to lose anyone of quality. Stuv is probably 50/50 to play with us so if we lost him and another player like Seb, we replace them with one good player (who none are really available) we are still starting down a good player so are significantly worse than before.

Coniglio looks ideal, hopefully we can get Gubby in his ear selling him the vision. Jones is like slight upgrade on Dunny so no real win. Tomlinson looks like he's not really what we need.

Beers ,,, Many mate , compare the lists and get back to me

That's true, but you have to note that Richo delisted all of Watters boys and refused to play them. He's been moulding the team to what he wants, or should have. Nathan Burke reckons we didn't let him have the players he wanted to work with his game plan. Either the club thought he was a place holder and took control off him or we were really stupid. He sat in on all the drafting and we used probably too many decision makers instead of trusting recruiting to one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back