Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very difficult to tell from a still shot, but I thought some of the numerous frees for so-called holding were very soft, and most went against us. Don't turn Aussie Rules into soccer, where physical contact is almost completely outlawed.
Look in the end it doesn't matter, some cope with losing by blaming umpires. Some prefer to blame coaches or the players.

Can't have been that much change in less than a day.

Jumpers changed and thus importance changed.

Can't change surface during the week, has to be just before competition so you can trial it against the s**t kids to see how it holds up.

Look in the end it doesn't matter, some cope with losing by blaming umpires. Some prefer to blame coaches or the players.

It can be a combination of each. I don't blame the umpires for the defeat, but they were terrible, and usually against St Kilda.

Props to Dunstan, came in with a mission to stay in the team and deserves that.

Had 30 pressure acts for us tonight, our next best was phillips with 21. Those two came to play, shows there could be some complacency within the boys who dont feel pressure for spots in the 22.

Dunstan also played the least game time, we need to find out how to get this man a tank.

I am one of his harshest critics but credit where it is due. Seemed sharper than usual last night

Morning lads, not the result we wanted but it was what we deserved.

I maybe alone in this thought but i feel the coaches did a pretty good job last night all things considered. What really stood out was the clear instruction to keep the ball from McGovern's direction. Remember last year, the majority of our posts were attacking the long ball strategy we had. Can't fault the players for sticking to the plan(for the most part) and fighting it out till the end. We had our chances, but lacked the skill and/or composure to take them.

Longy needs a spell. Granted the game style yesterday didn't suit him, but he needed to present more and not just wait for crumbs. I hope Nick Hind finally gets in. He's gone as well as anyone in the 2s and we really need that linebreaking speed he possesses. Why draft him if he's just gonna languish at sandy. Get him in.

We're 4-4, competitive, and with a much better gameplan. Significantly better than most ppl expected. 1/3 of the season gone, I can accept that.

What he said

We play ridiculous dumb football unfortunately handball happy to guys a metre away under pressure
just needed to kick the ball to players in the clear , just little or no composure.

Total brain fades unfortunately ,gifted easy goals .

Tackled poorly last night , pretty much 2018 performance

As my earlier post stated...the kamakaize handballs were doing my head in...…...it was just dumb crazy football.

I reckon I ended up with a mild case of whiplash at the number of times my head re coiled backwards in horror at some of the things we were doing.

Very very disappointing.

As my earlier post stated...the kamakaize handballs were doing my head in...…...it was just dumb crazy football.

I reckon I ended up with a mild case of whiplash at the number of times my head re coiled backwards in horror at some of the things we were doing.

Very very disappointing.
Oh the amount of hospital handballs...

I switched off at half time to be honest.

What I cannot fathom is why do players stand still and wait for the ball to come to them?

Do they not understand the concept if opposition payers closing in?

Hardest part is understanding if it is dumb coaching or dumb players.

As frustrating as it is, if we are attempting a new style then we have to allow the best part of the year to see if it works.

Reminds me of 07 and 08. Hopefully it clicks sooner rather than later.

Welp, failed my own advice and instead of a couple of frothies and a good old cathartic shout at the telly I managed pre-game to get sucked into the idea that we could win it (yes, I am a naive optimist).

The hell of it is that we had a plan and it should really have worked - we didn't bomb it long for Gov to pick off; and Kennedy/Darling were kept relatively quiet (particularly given the understrength of our backline). We managed to lose it with just absolutely horrible skills and execution of simple things; particularly some absolutely putrid handballs to teammates under pressure or just straight to opposing players; coupled with our customary ~10 minute lapse where we get spanked on the scoreboard.

We're also relying on Marshall too much; he's still a kid and will have quite a few off nights. WC seemed to realise this early and just set up at the back of stoppages and waited for the Vardy tap. For some reason we couldn't adjust to this relatively simple tactic.

Long, Parker and Kent all need a spell for different reasons. Long and Parker are way too quiet at the moment; Kent seems to be playing for himself and not the team at present (for example the kick and miss where he completely torched Bruce who was open and was playing a good game) - that was a 12 point turnaround as well because Kennedy goaled on the rebound play. That's me saying drop half our forward line though which obv. can't happen. God we miss Lonie.

Positives are Dunstan had a great comeback game (I still really hope he makes it somehow); Battle was immense and would have been a lock for the Rising Star had we somehow have won (I know it shouldn't matter, but it does). Aside from the stoppage thing, our system seems to work out well (again, it's skills letting us down) and the belief and endeavour is there - last year that would have been a minimum 8 goal loss from where we were at 3QT.

Yeah feeling real dejected. We’re right back to where we started.

I don’t blame you for feeling down, Colleague. It’s quite numbing to see the side getting done. However, may I, with total respect and humility, offer some advice? Perhaps we need to take this season “one game at a time” and let’s see how it unfolds? Personally, I’ve found it fairly useless to go into any of our games this year with high expectations of a win...... instead, I’ve decided to just go and watch the footy! So far, despite results like last night’s, it’s been okay.
But understand completely if you reject my thoughts on this issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the cattle we had last season(not new recruits this season), just wondering who is taking the next step- I expect those that have been there a couple of seasons, should be steadily improving. Battle, Marshall and Lonie are obvious, Billings is better than last season, Paton showing good promise, but after that it seems to be dropping away. Those who seem to be treading water are Steele, Sinclair, Gresham, Newnes, Acres, Membrey, Bruce, Dunstan- too many for my liking- all inconsistent. Seems that the midfield is really much like the last few seasons- no one is having great seasons, just plodding along.

Newenes has been a big improver but was sat last night. Bruce an improvement just by getting on the park.

We have s**t coaches and average players but having to drag a millstone behind you just makes for a frustrating spectacle. Seriously they paid three frees for a half our way and they let everything go, then found soft ones that weren't a free a few minutes earlier 20 meters out in front of WC goal. Just make it consistent and there are no issues. In Perth we are lead to believe it's not their fault that the free kick differential is hugely their way. In Melbourne it's some other s**t that excuses poor decision making.

Our inability to shutdown Liam Ryan and Eleni Glouftsis early on cost us.

We should have played Leigh Fisher to counter Eleni.

FISHER!!!???? Are you out of your mind??!!! ANYONE (even Ray Chamberpot) but that prick!

Good again last night. Just don’t have enough good players compared to the sides we have played lately. Some due to injury. Unfortunately not getting anyone back and very limited depth even though people think there is good depth but we are replacing c and d grade players with the same. We now have a great system and fantastic buy in by the players. Can’t ask for much more than that.

Yeah, Long needs a rest with Rice and Young able to play that role should be dropped. Hind would have been handy to break lines, I'd like to use him like Pettrucceli and just create havoc up front with his pace.
On a side note... did you notice that Dmac actually chased Petrucceli down yesterday?? Didn’t get him but closed on him. Impressive pace

On a side note... did you notice that Dmac actually chased Petrucceli down yesterday?? Didn’t get him but closed on him. Impressive pace

Yeah he was a fair way behind and he made up a lot of ground on him, if he'd held it too long he would have been caught. Petrucelli looks super fast, DMac not so much but the proof was there in front of the camera.

Good again last night. Just don’t have enough good players compared to the sides we have played lately. Some due to injury. Unfortunately not getting anyone back and very limited depth even though people think there is good depth but we are replacing c and d grade players with the same. We now have a great system and fantastic buy in by the players. Can’t ask for much more than that.
I think this is good perspective Pluggs.
With who we have out injured from our top end talent and who was available they did ok effort wise.

Need more A graders!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back