Game Day Round 8, 2019 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
i know people going to complain about hipwood kicking.
Wet day 2 ruck who struggle to beat a make shift ruck meant we a small down all day. Then Bailey did hammy it was all down hill

Look at stats
Trengrove 22 disposals 27 hitouts
Martin 15 disposals 39 hitouts. Big O 8 disposals 17 hitouts. So 1 more touch out of 2 players vs 1.
We might win the hit outs although they win clearances 49 to 41.
It happens every week we drop Walker as too big although not sure we can play the 2 ruck who give us a combined disposal of one player.

It’s not like this season is our shot at a flag, we’ll have our good and bad moments, so far 5-3 after 8 rounds is a solid effort for a growing team.

Honestly consider next week a bigger game as we are at home against a Crows side that is inconsistent.

We are still 5-3 folks. Bad loss no doubt but no need to throw the toys out of the cot yet.

Frustrating to not be 6-2 but probably wouldn’t have been an accurate reflection of our position.

We'll be 5-6 after the bye. Been playing like s**t since the Essendon game and were lucky to get easy games against the suns and Sydney to paper over the cracks.

cahaba

Rookie
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It was easier having no expectations watching the Lions.

Now when we're losing I find myself increasingly exasperated with the ineptitude on display at times. Of course 5-3 I would have been delighted with before the season started...but this game....ergh

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really disappointing to see in the last 15 we start playing again.
For mind we lost it with our misses, but ther has been some disappointing trends with high profile players not delvering including the captain.
Definitely not a top 8 team, but I thought that last week.
I think we have the cattle but to many passengers have been kept in the side.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
At least this result gives Fagan a mandate to make some changes to shake things up things and reward NEAFL consistency. We've gone a bit stale.

You'd think Keays gets a go next week.

cahaba

Rookie
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At least this result gives Fagan a mandate to make some changes to shake things up things and reward NEAFL consistency. We've gone a bit stale.

You'd think Keays gets a go next week.

I'd be sorely tempted to drop Rayner for Keays. I love Cam, but sheesh...when he's off, he may as well be in the grandstand.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The reality is that Bulldogs are just not a very good football team. They thrive on their dodgy "handballs" and fluke goals from the pocket, greatly assisted by favourable umpires who forget the interpretations once it happens for the Lions.

And who can forget the countless throws by Bontempelli.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
The reality is that Bulldogs are just not a very good football team. They thrive on their dodgy "handballs" and fluke goals from the pocket, greatly assisted by favourable umpires who forget the interpretations once it happens for the Lions.

And who can forget the countless throws by Bontempelli.
Their midfield is actually pretty solid when on, but doesn’t always fire. Today was one of the ocassions where we just played them into form and gave them chances to come back.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All three have been in the middle as well and still nothing, so to say they have just been playing forward and have low numbers is just wrong.

How about - they've had barely any of the ball as forwards and all their ball was gained during stints in the midfield.

Why would the first bit be true?

Terrible coaching effort from Fagan. Dropping Walker was stupid and now we have Andrews, who has been absolutely murdered today playing in the Forward Line and McSpray playing back in defence. Really poor coaching. Andrews was absolutely cooked at half time.

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
The thing is, we could have had that game at half time. Going into the second half with momentum would have made a huge difference.

Even though I hate losing more than I hate peas, I'd rather we have our losses now and have a chance to learn from them. We got away with murder last weekend, but this week we came up against a team that made us pay for our wastefulness. I'd rather have that happen now then whenever we make finals.

Hopefully this loss will make the boys dig in a little bit and take their opportunities when they're presented - because as we just got taught today, they might not come again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back