Review Round 8, 2019 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting hearing what Witho had to say post match. Sounds like a few weren't playing their role and pretty much said that when we were going down the wing that not enough players were getting to the marking contest in support.

Beveridge seemed to think that his players were slipping over early and fumbling the ball and that's how we got a lead - think it was more the lions pressure was up with our tackles inside 50 and should have been another 2-3 goals up at half time. Two of their first quarter goals were very lucky but that can happen when we lock the ball in our attacking 50 and suddenly there is a lot of space for the dogs to kick to.
Fagan said he didn't think we handled the conditions well and questioned the boots that the players had on - Using the conditions is an excuse and he didn't seem too critical of a team that was very hot and cold with their pressure. Thought there was an equal amount of slipping over from both teams

It feels like we've got away from some real criticism with a few players having a dominating quarter which changes the game and has got us the win this season. Have a feeling we'll be exposed for relying on a few players talent instead of a hard working team over the next 2-3 weeks.
Just watched his interview post game. It irks me actually as I get the sense he comes across as looking at others instead and throwing them under the bus. Not saying he wasn’t wrong with what he was saying but when you start pointing at others you start with yourself first. Next pre-season is a massive one for him and Rayner IMO, cut back on the cheese and crackers boys on your little trips to Noosa. Yes they’re young but how long does it take for it to sink in?

Just watched his interview post game. It irks me actually as I get the sense he comes across as looking at others instead and throwing them under the bus. Not saying he wasn’t wrong with what he was saying but when you start pointing at others you start with yourself first. Next pre-season is a massive one for him and Rayner IMO, cut back on the cheese and crackers boys on your little trips to Noosa. Yes they’re young but how long does it take for it to sink in?
They need to get Witherden off doing interviews/SM for a while . Going to put his foot in it when he's not going that hot himself . He and Cam don't look fit but whether they really are or not I guess only the training staff would know

He said the former but I don’t think he said the latter.

Onballer Jarrod Berry was poked in the right eye and left the field early in the final term but Fagan was confident he would be right for next Saturday's match against Adelaide, while Zac Bailey hurt his left hamstring early in the contest and looks set for another stint on the sidelines, having been in his first game since round three after another hamstring concern had kept him out.
https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-05-11/post-match

Onballer Jarrod Berry was poked in the right eye and left the field early in the final term but Fagan was confident he would be right for next Saturday's match against Adelaide, while Zac Bailey hurt his left hamstring early in the contest and looks set for another stint on the sidelines, having been in his first game since round three after another hamstring concern had kept him out.
https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-05-11/post-match

Yeah as I suspected, he didn’t say he’d be able to play next week in the press conference.

Thanks for alerting me to it.

I guess everyone wants to look at changes but the fact remains that we played well enough to win that match with quite a few things going against us,including unfamiliarity with the oval

It's hard to judge just how good possible replacements are due to the standard in the NEAFL . Frustration is building with our small forwards , Charlie is not the same player he was last year but my feeling is that we tinker with the set up and give it another try. Already 2 likely outs.
I will tell you this. After watching the Carlton/Collingwood game, we are going to struggle to beat Carlton - the bottom side. I went to Ballarat yesterday and after quarter time we were very poor in all aspects of the game. All players had their opportunities (both sides) to be ball winners but there were a few lions players with low stats at the end of the game. I see mentioned that we could possibly have had the wrong boots. Football is a winter sport - I question the football department - they should have been well aware of the conditions. You MUST be prepared to make changes to improve. At this present time, we really need to improve.

I will tell you this. After watching the Carlton/Collingwood game, we are going to struggle to beat Carlton - the bottom side. I went to Ballarat yesterday and after quarter time we were very poor in all aspects of the game. All players had their opportunities (both sides) to be ball winners but there were a few lions players with low stats at the end of the game. I see mentioned that we could possibly have had the wrong boots. Football is a winter sport - I question the football department - they should have been well aware of the conditions. You MUST be prepared to make changes to improve. At this present time, we really need to improve.

Are you going to question the football department of the dogs after they fell over constantly in the first half?

Also as we play a fair few games at Etihad and you know, in Brisbane winter it’s really only this game and trips to Tassie where it’s going to be a disgusting winter day. Not exactly that much of a winter sport for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you going to question the football department of the dogs after they fell over constantly in the first half?

Also as we play a fair few games at Etihad and you know, in Brisbane winter it’s really only this game and trips to Tassie where it’s going to be a disgusting winter day. Not exactly that much of a winter sport for us.
Are you trying to tell me Brisbane never has bad weather. Come on Pal

Are you trying to tell me Brisbane never has bad weather. Come on Pal

I'm telling you that Brisbane has had days like yesterday so infrequently that it barely comes up. From memory our only home game last year that even really rained was the Swans game.

Brisbane gives you dew in evening games for sure but we seem to handle those conditions pretty well. Don't think many were complaining about us falling over after beating the eagles in Rd1 or last week against the Swans in wet weather.

Some of the kicks Rich had yesterday couldn't really be appreciated unless you were at ground level. Hitting up players 60m upfield on the chest multiple times was a thing of beauty.

Funny thing being that our key talls up either end were amongst the best in those conditions. Just some dumb decisions between the 50s.

Cam & Witho really need to pull their fingers out. Cutler doesnt really offer anything apart from kicking goals 50 out on the run.

As far as I'm concerned we still like looking at winning about 8 games at home this season and if we win more than three away then that is what I consider a pass for where we are at. We have 3 at home and two away at the moment and we are just past 1/3 of the season so far. It still feels like we have laid down a foundation where it could all click at any time and we hand out a couple of weeks of massive spankings before it all falls apart. On any measure 5 & 3 is a result at this point of the season. I'm pretty confident with the reverse at the Gabba later in the season we will give them a good spanking because we were unfamiliar with the conditions of the ground... well everyone except Hugh and J Bez anyway. Hugh's ability to scoop up the ball one-handed without fumbling at pace in those conditions was a thing of beauty.

Mars Stadium (North Ballarat Oval) i've played on and was my most hated venue kicking for goal. Wind protection only one end and very hard to judge. So in the warm ups you always made sure to have shots at both ends and take mental notes. Showgrounds next door often had markets every Sunday or a circus or show.

Becoming something of a habit- on field and off.

Someone needs to have a quiet word.

Went to the game and I think you get different idea of the play than that what you see on the TV, especially of the physical effort that playing our game demands. The TV only shows the end of the contest, when the ball is in TV view. The best example of this is that at the ground Stef Martin several times simply pushed the Doggies ruckman out of the way. He was physically dominant.

I noticed a few posters were criticising Martin when he was one player that had the better of his position during the entire day.

The problem of being at the ground is that you lose the Leigh Matthews stat (who hands the ball back to the ump at a ball up i.e. who has his hand s on the ball). The inside game is harder to see at the ground.

What I saw was that once again our key forwards are ‘flaky’ kicks for goal. Is anyone reading this confident that McStay (McSpray, thanks 3KZ) would have kicked a goal without the 50 metre penalty?

Time to give someone else a shot at McStay’s position, IMO.

We have periods during most games where our mid field gets nowhere near the ball. I refuse to give a mid-fielder a vote unless he gets a million kicks. While we had the better of it until half way through the second quarter, we had lost the game by three quarter time because out onballers went missing big time. You get a better idea of this on the TV.

Mid field depth will be a problem until Rayner is mature enough to come to the fore.

We have a problem with our tall forwards. Take the Big O’s few marks in a 15 minute period of one game and he has been a TOTAL liability up forward this year. Walker should have played. Does anyone think that the BIg O could have stood at half back on Saturday, when we were under siege, and taken several intercept marks? Walker may have been able to influence the game but the Big????

Last year we lost this game because we were a poor footy team. This year we had a chance to win. I’m still a lid off person.

Back