Review Round 8, 2019 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
our small forwards all go for the mark of the year at the same time as Hipwood/McStay. Zorko and McCluggage only ones who stays down hence they getting a few goals.. You hope Rayner, Cameron and McCarthy would crumb more or tackle more.. They often jump for a ball they never get fall to the ground and the ball gets run out.

Need to put a ban on small forward speccies for a week. Put the focus back on crumbing and disguised shepherding and have someone stat count it for KPIs.

Respectfully disagree Pacman. So far this year, we have kicked more goals than points and won 5 games out of 8 thus far. I am sure you know that ALL our forwards diligently work on their goalkicking every week. 99 times out of 100 their miss's in front of goal are from game fatigue/pressure rather than technique/skill level. Saturday was cold-wet-windy and conditions we rarely play in or would chose to play in. Suffice to say...not ideal for goal kicking. We played against a side that applied constant pressure and were more conditioned to play in those types of climates. We also had several smalls playing who simply didn't contribute anywhere close to an acceptable level as a team.
In my opinion we came up short against the Bulldogs because we didnt have contributions and efforts from several players which exposed us enough for our opposition to win. Not because of our goalkicking

Well said. The dogs had more scoring shots in the end and better efficiency inside 50 due to working harder. Fagan mentioned post match that Hipwood works on his kicking every week which I think we'd all expect but it's very hard to do practice at that level of fatigue. 7 shots on goal means he put himself in a position to be a match winner.

Well said. The dogs had more scoring shots in the end and better efficiency inside 50 due to working harder. Fagan mentioned post match that Hipwood works on his kicking every week which I think we'd all expect but it's very hard to do practice at that level of fatigue. 7 shots on goal means he put himself in a position to be a match winner.

Maybe like Simon black he can stay back 15-20mins after the main training session when he will be fatigued and slot a heap.

Though for all I know he may already be doing this.

For the first quarter and a half our forward pressure was really good. Charlie and Rayner weren't racking up the numbers but they contributed. I didn't get to see the second half but we must have been pretty bad for everyone to write off the work they did in the first chunk.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One of the weirdest vote distributions in the AFLCA I've seen:

VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Josh Dunkley (WB)
Dayne Zorko (BL)
Jason Johannisen (WB)
Sam Lloyd (WB)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Mitch Robinson (BL)
Jackson Trengove (WB)
Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One of the weirdest vote distributions in the AFLCA I've seen:

VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Josh Dunkley (WB)
Dayne Zorko (BL)
Jason Johannisen (WB)
Sam Lloyd (WB)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Mitch Robinson (BL)
Jackson Trengove (WB)
Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

Interesting. Dunkley was very good

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting. Dunkley was very good

Dunkley deserved the 10 votes I think. Zorks getting 4 and 1 from the coaches and Johannisen getting 4 from one coach and none from the other is most interesting to me.

Basically means that both coaches voted for only 2 of the same players in their votes I think - Zorks and Dunkley? The rest only got votes from one coach alone.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IMO, Naughton didn't deserve votes; he had one very impressive game against a Richmond defence devoid of their keys which has created unprecedented hype - he certainly was no game changer against us.

He was brilliant against the Tigers even though as you say the Tigers were missing key defenders. But he played one very good half and one non existent half on the weekend but got a vote because he is now flavour of the month. Hipwood actually had a more dominant game he just didn't finish in front of goal.

Had we won by 16 points the Victorian bias would have seen a Dogs player in the votes I have no doubt.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
No votes for Naughton and yet he was 3rd best on ground according to the Herald Sun.
Yeah, I was in a cafe this morning and nearly fell off my chair reading that he got votes out of a 3-2-1 voting (all Dogs players too).:drunk:

What was even more ridiculous is that Lachie Neale isn’t even in the top 20 vote getters for the season. Only one Lion was; Eric Hipwood on 14 votes.

Reinforced why I never buy the HUN.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He was brilliant against the Tigers even though as you say the Tigers were missing key defenders. But he played one very good half and one non existent half on the weekend but got a vote because he is now flavour of the month. Hipwood actually had a more dominant game he just didn't finish in front of goal.

Had we won by 16 points the Victorian bias would have seen a Dogs player in the votes I have no doubt.
You could say the same thing about McCluggage tho. Played a brillirant 1st half but was definitly quiet in the 2nd half however still got 3 votes, they must have tagged him?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dunkley deserved the 10 votes I think. Zorks getting 4 and 1 from the coaches and Johannisen getting 4 from one coach and none from the other is most interesting to me.

Basically means that both coaches voted for only 2 of the same players in their votes I think - Zorks and Dunkley? The rest only got votes from one coach alone.
Dunkley was BOG but apart from him most players had an in and out day . Zorks disposal let him down a bit I feel but he wasn't alone there in the conditions . Mitch was probably our best , just those couple of special things made a difference. Likewise Naughton really gave them a spark once he got supply but I wouldn't have given him votes

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Actually quite frustrated that Robbo got player of the round this week - I wanted to get a nice convenient highlights package of Clug's first quarter!

He’s a fan favourite.

Every time Hippy misses a set shot they get a reply goal, it’s like a sign.
I could believe this was from watching a replay of this game... :D
Bloody hell what a game! Cracking finish, glad the siren went when it did. Great effort from the crows with a man down
...this one's a struggle though.

Back