Review Round 8, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What's better for him is playing to his strengths, not his weaknesses. If he has issues from 20m out, then logically you'd think he's better off playing around the 50m arc.

Mind you, I'm often wrong when I offer simplistic solutions.

But what happens if you tell someone with confidence issues in front of goals to not get into a position to take an easy set shot?

I like the idea of him kicking around his body or maybe changing his run up. Anything to stop him from leaning back on the set shots.

Re: accuracy.

I think I'd rather win games by sheer number of goals+behinds, rather than relying on supreme accuracy to get over the line.
Fluctuations of accuracy over the games means if we can win kicking s**t, we certainly can win kicking sweet. (a rather simplistic view :))

Some thoughts from last night's game

The weather was WILD on the drive down and stayed that way for 15 minutes or so after we got into the car park The "Blue" car park opposite the Stadium was closed due to flooding so everyone was crammed into the "main" park next door. That made for a frustrating exit later. I think it was at least 45 minutes before we could get out, probably longer for others who were furthest from the exit. The fact that the vast majority of us were Lions supporters AND we got away with the win probably helped maintain a general sense of co-operation and equanimity.

The rain and wind had subsided by game time, which was a blessing but of course conditions remained slippery. throughout. That probably helped Melbourne more than us.

The first quarter was an even contest but I thought we generated more genuine scoring opportunities than them and if not for their two opportunistic soccer goals and two touched (non) goals from Charlie, we would have had a handy lead at the first break. We looked dangerous every time we went inside 50.
It has to acknowledged that Weideman's two fluffed set shots cost Melbourne

As seems to be the pattern in most of our matches, we were dominant in the second, without really getting full value for our efforts. Robbo and MCStay both missed very get able set shots by narrow margins, Zorko hit the post once with a snap and missed completely with another.

The third was a tale of missed opportunities for both sides but we looked well in control and almost home and hosed at the the last break with a 3 goal lead. I said to my son that "we always came home strong in the last quarter and couldn't possibly lose from here".....me and my big mouth:$

Credit to Melbourne. They came at us hard. I read some comments that we were "gassed" but I don't agree with those. Looking at the game at the ground, we worked as hard as they did, got our share of possession and generated plenty of opportunities for ourselves, As usual, our propensity to shoot ourselves in the foot with inaccuracy had more to do with Dees staying in the game than them actually dominating us.(we did kick 5 points to their 3.1 in the last).

Not to mention that unfortunate 50 gifted to Jones and one or two other questionable decisions going against us......then there was some poor decision making and also some moments of complete madness. J Berry will want to have the tape erased of that 30 seconds when he ran around like a headless chook, got himself in and out of trouble about three times and then finished off his "work" by chipping it backwards to a loose opponent.

As far as the ruck is concerned, Gawn is reported to have been "dominant" but I thought Oscar was more than competitive and several "wins" against his much vaunted opponent, especially at ground level after the initial contest at the centre square. Even the much criticised Archie had a few deft little touches and deflections to disrupt Gawn's tempo.

In the final wash up of the game, Melbourne scored two goals through soccer kicks, another directly from a questionable 50 and another from a kick and mark following another 50 to Gawn (Gawn to Fritsch)

It's one of those weird games where you feel like we should have never got into a position to lose but having got ourselves there, might have been fortunate to win.

You know what they say about "good" sides though.....they find a way.

But what happens if you tell someone with confidence issues in front of goals to not get into a position to take an easy set shot?

I like the idea of him kicking around his body or maybe changing his run up. Anything to stop him from leaning back on the set shots.
He obviously changes his action on the shorter set shots. Left foot key forwards have always been problematic with their set shots. The only one who really addressed the issue pro actively and successfully was Lloyd. Buddy does what McStay and Hipwood should do from 40m plus by swinging into it as if it were a shot on the run.

He obviously changes his action on the shorter set shots. Left foot key forwards have always been problematic with their set shots. The only one who really addressed the issue pro actively and successfully was Lloyd. Buddy does what McStay and Hipwood should do from 40m plus by swinging into it as if it were a shot on the run.
That's a very good point. There's a theory that what makes lefties (comparatively) good field kicks doesn't work as well on the set shot. The obvious answer is to approach a set shot with more of a "natural arc".

Some thoughts from last night's game

The weather was WILD on the drive down and stayed that way for 15 minutes or so after we got into the car park The "Blue" car park opposite the Stadium was closed due to flooding so everyone was crammed into the "main" park next door. That made for a frustrating exit later. I think it was at least 45 minutes before we could get out, probably longer for others who were furthest from the exit. The fact that the vast majority of us were Lions supporters AND we got away with the win probably helped maintain a general sense of co-operation and equanimity.

The rain and wind had subsided by game time, which was a blessing but of course conditions remained slippery. throughout. That probably helped Melbourne more than us.

The first quarter was an even contest but I thought we generated more genuine scoring opportunities than them and if not for their two opportunistic soccer goals and two touched (non) goals from Charlie, we would have had a handy lead at the first break. We looked dangerous every time we went inside 50.
It has to acknowledged that Weideman's two fluffed set shots cost Melbourne

As seems to be the pattern in most of our matches, we were dominant in the second, without really getting full value for our efforts. Robbo and MCStay both missed very get able set shots by narrow margins, Zorko hit the post once with a snap and missed completely with another.

The third was a tale of missed opportunities for both sides but we looked well in control and almost home and hosed at the the last break with a 3 goal lead. I said to my son that "we always came home strong in the last quarter and couldn't possibly lose from here".....me and my big mouth:$

Credit to Melbourne. They came at us hard. I read some comments that we were "gassed" but I don't agree with those. Looking at the game at the ground, we worked as hard as they did, got our share of possession and generated plenty of opportunities for ourselves, As usual, our propensity to shoot ourselves in the foot with inaccuracy had more to do with Dees staying in the game than them actually dominating us.(we did kick 5 points to their 3.1 in the last).

Not to mention that unfortunate 50 gifted to Jones and one or two other questionable decisions going against us......then there was some poor decision making and also some moments of complete madness. J Berry will want to have the tape erased of that 30 seconds when he ran around like a headless chook, got himself in and out of trouble about three times and then finished off his "work" by chipping it backwards to a loose opponent.

As far as the ruck is concerned, Gawn is reported to have been "dominant" but I thought Oscar was more than competitive and several "wins" against his much vaunted opponent, especially at ground level after the initial contest at the centre square. Even the much criticised Archie had a few deft little touches and deflections to disrupt Gawn's tempo.

In the final wash up of the game, Melbourne scored two goals through soccer kicks, another directly from a questionable 50 and another from a kick and mark following another 50 to Gawn (Gawn to Fritsch)

It's one of those weird games where you feel like we should have never got into a position to lose but having got ourselves there, might have been fortunate to win.

You know what they say about "good" sides though.....they find a way.
Good summary of the game and the car park
Could have been some insurance claims if we got beaten.
Didn't time our exit but we estimated about 35 minutes once free.

Re: accuracy.

I think I'd rather win games by sheer number of goals+behinds, rather than relying on supreme accuracy to get over the line.
Fluctuations of accuracy over the games means if we can win kicking sh*t, we certainly can win kicking sweet. (a rather simplistic view :))
I'd rather beat teams comfortably than hanging on for dear life. That tends to happen when we have both quantity and quality of shots at goal. You could argue we only won this game because Melbourne were even worse than us at kicking for goal (Bennell being the most egregious).

View attachment 920436

Yep. This too. Not a single easy target anywhere.

Was reported on SEN this morning that "Melbourne had several players free".

I was surprised to hear of this because it didn't look that way at the time at the game.

Talk about alter the facts to fit the story

Was reported on SEN this morning that "Melbourne had several players free".

I was surprised to hear of this because it didn't look that way at the time at the game.

Talk about alter the facts to fit the story
Of course. They haven't got anything else to talk about.

View attachment 920436

Yep. This too. Not a single easy target anywhere.
I watched that budget podcast show with King, Morris and Montagna this morning and couldn't work out why this game moment in particular had Tom Morris almost hysterical, like seriously amped up compared to the other topics od discussion... then they mentioned Morris is a Dees supporter and it all fell into place and I had a good 10 seconds of pure dopamine rush revelling in his misery. Suck it, Tom Morris.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that was Jarrod Berry's worst game in a long time. Bad decision making which was very costly.
Jarrod has been off for a while IMO.

To date, not coming on as expected and makes too many errors for my liking, including the miss against Geelong.

Obviously plenty of time, but some concerning issues for mine.

Lloyd and Damo went on about it on AFL.com too. Apparently Melb had the "overlap" going on. The overlap player was allegedly Jones and I assume he is the one circled near the logo. Trouble is he is slower than cold treacle and we had a player within 20 metres of him on the move anyway. Also, there was no obvious extra man which is what is needed for a true overlap to get you down the ground. And finally, it's not as if the player with the ball when it was stopped was away at half back. He was deep in the defensive pocket and a lot can happen when the ball has that far to travel. Grasping at straws.

Everyone about how Demons lost it poor kicking.. that ARC thing. Not saying if the game did not go another 5 mins we be in trouble.
Although we kicked 5 more points then them.. Our kicking was worse :)

Jarrod has been off for a while IMO.

To date, not coming on as expected and makes too many errors for my liking, including the miss against Geelong.

Obviously plenty of time, but some concerning issues for mine.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Jarrod was tremendous against Port, kicked 3 against West Coast and was pretty solid last week.

You know you don't have to completely jump off players based on a poor moment?

Pretty sure I gave Berry a vote. Covers so much ground and did some really accountable stuff in the midfield. Had a small bad patch in the game but he sets the standard for us almost every week in terms of workrate, defensive pressure and team first footy.

Entirely a personal choice what hair-do you have of course but Bez does seem to spend an inordinate amount of time fixing his hair which must be somewhat of a distraction.

Entirely a personal choice what hair-do you have of course but Bez does seem to spend an inordinate amount of time fixing his hair which must be somewhat of a distraction.

Shock horror at the thought of a hair cut!

Richy is Richy with his long hair....JarrodB is the 2020 version of Richy. Its their trademark. Both boys look wrong with short back and sides.

Wash your mouth!:p;)

Coaches votes:

Lachie Neale (BL)
Zac Bailey (BL)
Christian Petracca (MELB)
Jack Viney (MELB)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Jarryd Lyons (BL)

I thought Bailey was good but one coach had him second best on ground! Pretty clear consensus of votes here, with both coaches giving votes to Neale, Bailey, Petracca and Viney and then differing on Clug and Lyons.

Edited to add - this is the second week in a row Bailey has polled votes. Promising signs.

Last edited:
Coaches votes:

Edited to add - this is the second week in a row Bailey has polled votes. Promising signs.

I loved it when we drafted Zac.

This was of course after doing my famous extensive research .

(The usual grab bag of youtube videos from under age stuff, Cal Twomey writings and so on.;)) The only knock on him at the time was his field kicking but he's really cleaned that up.

Anyway, he's really starting to bear fruit now

Shock horror at the thought of a hair cut!

Richy is Richy with his long hair....JarrodB is the 2020 version of Richy. Its their trademark. Both boys look wrong with short back and sides.

Wash your mouth!:p;)
I actually thought JB looked pretty good shaved.

Back