Autopsy Round 8 2020 Giants vs Tigers @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Big names got us home. Toby was ridiculous, Kelly not far behind

Our backs are defending the house down and than butchering it.

Shaw has gone from our best to near worse kick.

Ok Im over the moon we got the points and the effort was still there.

But holey *&*&en hell we are still beyond bad in our defensive 50.

If we were playing any big team with their players we would of lost that.

Gold coast with their cocky kids will take full advantage of all those chances. We need to work on how to get the ball out of the defensive 50 or we are an also ran this year.

Ok Im over the moon we got the points and the effort was still there.

But holey *&*&en hell we are still beyond bad in our defensive 50.

If we were playing any big team with their players we would of lost that.

Gold coast with their cocky kids will take full advantage of all those chances. We need to work on how to get the ball out of the defensive 50 or we are an also ran this year.
There were a few more signs that we are slowly improving in that area. I’ll tell you what, Lachie Ash has a low, stinger of a kick that he used once tonight which will become an absolute weapon.

There were a few more signs that we are slowly improving in that area. I’ll tell you what, Lachie Ash has a low, stinger of a kick that he used once tonight which will become an absolute weapon.
If someone is able to save the footage of it and post it on here I want to use it as my avatar... please!

Ash and (as always) Haynes were the only good things to come out of the defenders.

We miss Taylor something chronic, Davis seems to have lost his edge very easily thrown away from the contest, Shaw is kicking it out on the full still but theres still some toughness there at least, and Keeffe? By god he is inept at the moment. So very far from his finals heroics.

Last edited:
He is looking like a future star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ash and (as always) Haynes were the only good things to come out of the defenders.

We miss Taylor something chronic, Davis seems to have lost his edge very easily thrown away from the contest, Shaw is kicking it out on the full still but theres still some toughness there at least, and Keeffe? By god he is inept at the moment. So very far from his finals heroics.
Lachie Whitfield and Perryman gets us going from the back as well.
The rest are just turning it over

Hard to watch last night but they got the win and some players are starting to find some form although if they want to be a finals team and not just make up the numbers they need to improve a lot
Jacobs was ok, closer to poor than good and not sure if it is fitness or motivation but to go deep into the finals he will need to improve
Ash and Caldwell playing roles and hopefully more game time will help them adjust to what is required on the field
Daniels good and bad and he needs to convert the chances he gets

Too easy for the Tigers to move the ball and not sure if they are too offensively minded and some of the defensive half efforts were very poor, Maybe it comes down to adjusting to a new Captain and also Davis adjusting to his role

No known injuries from the game which is good

So, in the calm light of day:
  • Toby was sublime; if he stays on the park, we will always be a chance
  • Best games this year for Kelly, Whitfield (especially last quarter) & Cogs - if they keep that up we will win a few more games
  • Despite good overall stats, we suffered from too many turnovers that meant we gave them far too many chances - need to fix that (including some really baffling short kicks straight to our opponents from some of our best kicks)
  • We still don't get enough I50s, despite our great use once it does get there - need to solve that problem
  • Defenders again were really good defending - despite a lot on the Richmond & main board saying it was merely Tiges' poor kicking that lost it for them, in fact a lot of misses were due to good pressure and poor positions from which they kicked because of our defence. However, our transition out of defence was crap. Williams may help solve that with another (running) option.
  • Youngsters in Ash & Caldwell are improving and worth persisting with. They each kicked the final pass for our first couple of goals.
  • Binga is busy, but he needs to fix his goalkicking. Should have kicked 3 on Friday night; seems to have the yips and invents new ways of missing.
  • Jacobs was poor, apart from his early mark & goal. Probably against Jarrod Witts is not the time, but we must be getting close to trying Briggs.
  • Tm Taranto was solid again in his comeback; he should hit his straps in 2-3 games time. Then watch out comp; he does make us better.
  • Keeffe still on odd one for me - he actually did a pretty good job with neither of the Richmond tall forwards kicking a goal on him, but at other times meh.
  • Zac Langdon is just not doing enough. Invisible last week and almost the same this week. But Bobby was just as bad last week. Do we think about replacing him with Zac Williams up forward, especially in the initial couple of weeks coming back from injury?
SO, a win was good, but enough stuff to work on. We certainly can't take Gold Coast easily next week.

Some thoughts on the game from my favourite AFL media publication: https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-seas...ly-edition-gws-v-richmond-good-bad-and-ugly2/ (check them out, they're great!).

Will we look back at this and view it as a season-defining game for the GWS Giants?

Outside the eight and facing off against the team that humiliated them last September, Greater Western Sydney had their backs to the wall. They had a former clubman basically tell them they were playing selfish footy and questions were bandied around about their level of commitment to the cause. How could they answer?

With Toby Greene, that’s how.

The GWS lightning rod slotted five goals in a virtuoso performance to lead his team over the reigning premiers despite a lift from Dustin Martin and period where the game was definitely played on Richmond’s terms. Make no mistake – this was a huge win not just in the context of this season, but in terms of who the Giants are as a team. It was gutsy, it was hard and it was won with a grim determination – the exact aspects of the GWS team that have been questioned by many.

THE GREENE MACHINE

Toby Greene was taken at number 11 in 2011. Before him went names like Adam Tomlinson, Billy Longer, Matt Buntine, Will Hoskin-Elliott and Dom Tyson. Yeah, GWS had close to a monopoly on that draft and also picked up their current captain at pick two, but looking back now, Greene is the match winner from that class. Tom Mitchell (pick 21 father/son) has been wonderful, but in terms of pure footy ability, Greene is the one. He is a footballer. My dad would have called him a footballer’s footballer, and I can picture him smiling if he had the chance to see Greene play.

Whilst everyone else on the park tonight found it hard to glove a mark, Greene was the exception. He was superb in the air, taking four contested grabs, kicking four goals to keep the Giants in it and then one more to ice the game in a fitting crescendo to what was a flawless symphony from him. If this were a video game, everyone else was playing on the highest difficulty and Greene was cruising around on easy mode. Earlier this year I wrote that this would be the season that saw Toby Greene go from infamy to superstardom. Against the premiers, Greene put his stamp on the game and the season with a scintillating display of brilliance. He was firing on all cylinders, he was making opponents pay for even the smallest lapse and he was simply the difference between the Giants winning this game and losing it.

THE RUN AND CARRY

Ah yes, I was exchanging texts with my Tiger-supporting friend before the first bounce. We were firing off scenarios about the upcoming game and I sent the following to him. “Stop Whitfield. Stop Kelly. Stop the Giants.”

Not to blow my own horn here, as I reckon every man and his dog knows this, but the Tigers didn’t make the effort to stop either of these players. And it cost them.

More on Kelly in a minute, but the game of Lachie Whitfield, once we put aside that horrific turnover in the second quarter, was possibly his best for the season. Particularly when you consider the opposition. The last time Whitfield encountered the Tigers, he was days removed from having surgery to remove his appendix. He was limited and could only kick on one side of the body. He was not himself and he had a point to prove this evening. Consider it proven.

Starting at half back to both avoid any attention Richmond were planning on giving him in the middle, and to provide a great kicking option from defence, Whitfield was able to drive the Giants out of trouble on numerous occasions, and his non-stop run was pivotal when GWS needed to find an option at half back. Inevitably, it was Whitfield making the space to relieve the pressure and accept the short kick, opening up the rest of the ground in the process. Whilst we all bow to Toby Greene after this game, Whitfield’s last quarter was where he was at his best.

In that stanza, he recorded eight touches and went at 100% efficiency in the process. When you consider the heat applied in that quarter, it is an outstanding outcome. I often feel as though teams want to punish Whitfield whenever they get the chance. If they get an opportunity to tackle him hard or lay a bump, they always take it and it is credit to Whitfield that he is able to stand up to that week-in and week-out and continue playing good footy. And that’s what he did this evening. When the heat was turned up, Whitfield responded.

KELLY KNUCKLES DOWN

I’m not sure I have seen Josh Kelly play a game where he’s been harder at the footy than this one. Usually, I am accustomed to seeing Kelly embrace the role of the “Rolls Royce”, cruising around and distributing the footy on the outside. It was both a surprise and relief to see him insert himself into the contest and win plenty of the footy at the coal face. And it wasn’t just about winning the footy for him in this game. His defensive pressure and willingness to apply pressure without the footy was excellent.

Kelly led the game with eight tackles in a throwback to what he was doing for the Giants a couple of seasons ago (he had double figure tackles five times in 2017) and was integral in ensuring the Tigers’ mids were unable to deliver cleanly inside 50. In a period where the heart of the Giants has been in question, the name of Josh Kelly has been raised several times. Does he work hard enough? Is he all-in with this team? Will he fly the coop when the next opportunity arises? Kelly answered questions about his commitment emphatically in this one. He put his head over the footy, won 13 contested touches and had it not been for the brilliance of Toby Greene, he would be the big story coming out of this win.

BRENT DANIELS

Look, let’s forget for a moment that he didn’t kick a goal. Let’s forget that he actually finished the game with almost Castagna-like numbers for scoring. Instead, let’s focus on his attack on the footy and his relentless pursuit of the ball in the last quarter. He was a desperado. GWS had plenty who stood out in moments in this game, but I loved the way Brent Daniels attacked the contest. Carrying what looked to be a slight injury to his shoulder from half way through the last quarter, Daniels did not once alter the way he threw himself into the fray.

Yes, if he’d given that snap in the last quarter some elevation, or the one in the first quarter was a fraction straighter it would have made for a better story, but the job of a small forward like him is to get dangerous, and that is exactly what he did in this one. Now, next time… a goal or two would be nice as well.

THE ROAD BACK

Last year the Giants had both Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto emerge as stars in the making. Taranto went on to win the Giants best and fairest award and looked set for a big year in 2020. Unfortunately, his shoulder popped out in a really innocuous incident in Round One, and though the amount of games he missed was reduced due to the Covid lockdown, he has still had to fight his way back to fitness and find his place in this team again.

Tonight was another solid step in that direction. Taranto finished with 18 touches and six important clearances as he continues to re-establish himself as one of the best young players in the game. Having him back in the team, the Giants look a little more balanced in the middle as Taranto often brings the two-way running to the contest and though he only had three this evening, he loves to lay a tackle.

SHHHH… MATT DE BOER DID A GREAT JOB AGAIN

You wouldn’t really know it, would you? Had Matt de Boer gone to Dustin Martin in this game, every shot at a stoppage would have been of those two pushing and shoving. But he didn’t go to Martin; he gravitated to Kane Lambert after starting every centre bounce at half forward. It’s an interesting set up from Leon Cameron, inasmuch as he seems to be willing to allow whomever de Boer is targeting to have a crack at the first possession, but seems to want to limit them around the ground.

Lambert finished with 14 touches in this game but those numbers were bolstered by eight in the last quarter when de Boer seemed to have released, or at least relaxed the tag. During the first three quarters, Lambert was restricted to just six touches, including a big, fat goose egg in the first quarter. It is worth noting just how important Lambert can be to the Tiger midfield. It was Round Five that saw Lambert accumulate 27 touches and kick three goals in a best afield display. Leon Cameron was obviously watching that day, and without Trent Cotchin and Dion Prestia in the team, recognised that shutting down Lambert was akin to throwing a spanner into the works of the Richmond machine.

For the majority of this game, de Boer’s presence made the Richmond machine more than a little clunky.

THE RUCK SITUATION

I’m not sure that bringing Sam Jacobs in is having the impact the Giants anticipated. He started strongly, taking a nice contested grab and converting, but really looked to be plodding around later in the game, and was reduced to a spectator at a couple of stoppages late in the game, pushed under the footy by Ivan Soldo – hardly a Max Gawn/Nic Nat kind of presence.

Interestingly, this was Jacobs’ first real chance to shine since early in the year, having been supplanted in the line-up by Shane Mumford… the bloke he was brought in as an upgrade too! I really don’t know what the Giants do here with Jacobs. It is clear that he has lost more than a step or two, and he wasn’t all that quick to begin with. They cannot ever play both him and Mumford in the same team, and if Mummy was fit, I doubt he’d be getting a run right now.

When the Giants pulled the trigger on the deal to get Jacobs to Western Sydney, I thought it had the potential to be a game changer for them, but I didn’t expect it to make them worse. Sauce has a bit of work to do if he plans on being a positive addition to this side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back