Autopsy Round 8, 2020: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda *MEMBREY 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Jackson got sacked after Round 11 and he still won our goal kicking in 1983.
Lockett came in for his 3rd game in round 12. and was one of our main targets up forward. I felt King and Lockett's first 8 games was a fair comparison.
I know.... poor form to quote yourself but I found some vision I wanted to share. When we sacked Jacko he had kicked 41 goals in 10 games (video wrongly says 11 games). I reckon 41 goals will come close to winning the Coleman this year.
Tony Jewell's recounting of the story made me chuckle.

Ryder's ruckwork is phenomenal. On average, he's getting the second most hit outs to advantage. That's despite attending 20+ less ruck contests a game than Gawn, Grundy, Goldstein etc. If he was at those amounts of stoppages, it's fair to assume he would comfortably be getting the most hit outs to advantage in the comp. Jones, Gresh and Steele must be absolutely loving it.

View attachment 920445

Dare I ask what a HOAR is??

Haha

tenor (1).gif

Coaches Votes

PLAYER (CLUB)
5 Hunter Clark (STK)
5 Jade Gresham (STK)
5 Zak Jones (STK)
4 Darcy Byrne-Jones (PORT)
4 Dougal Howard (STK)
3 Paddy Ryder (STK)
3 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Cant remember the last time the coaches had such varying votes for one of our games.

Steele slides down to third on the leaderboard but has polled in 7/8 games this year (most of any player).

Coaches Votes

PLAYER (CLUB)
5 Hunter Clark (STK)
5 Jade Gresham (STK)
5 Zak Jones (STK)
4 Dougal Howard (STK)
3 Paddy Ryder (STK)
3 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Cant remember the last time the coaches had such varying votes for one of our games.

Steele slides down to third on the leaderboard but has polled in 7/8 games this year (most of any player).

Geez kenny didn't think much of his boys!
(At least the ones that still play for him!)
Haha

So can Savage both fu** it up sometimes too. Webster is no different, sometimes they come off and look incredible but when they don't they sail back over the defence. I'd say the difference is that one plays more so is less liked because he's got more exposed form.
Yep agree Savage has a nice kick on him as well, difference is he goes for the much less in the passed and is more prone to bombing long - may be different under a new couch tho. Anyway, Long, Coff, Paton, Wilkie and Clark are all doing very well back there and are all neat kicks. Would definitely like to see Clark getting more mid time now

I know.... poor form to quote yourself but I found some vision I wanted to share. When we sacked Jacko he had kicked 41 goals in 10 games (video wrongly says 11 games). I reckon 41 goals will come close to winning the Coleman this year.
Tony Jewell's recounting of the story made me chuckle.

I'm the only one that kicks goals around here!
There will be No plan today!
HaHaHaHa.....

Coaches Votes

PLAYER (CLUB)
5 Hunter Clark (STK)
5 Jade Gresham (STK)
5 Zak Jones (STK)
4 Dougal Howard (STK)
3 Paddy Ryder (STK)
3 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

That's an interesting split. I'd love to see how each coach voted. I'll guess (will likely be wrong) that Clark got the five from Ratts and Hinkley went for one of Gresham or Jones. Hinkley's biggest commentary on the match was our ability at stoppage and their inability to stop us there.

I'd like to see Jimmy get a few games under the current game style. His kicking under the drab Richo plan meant that he was always trying to hit stagnant targets... our entire team seems to be constantly on the move now. I reckon it would suit him nicely.
Agree. JWebb feels a bit like Carlisle where everyone forgets how good he actually is. Imagine Jimmy not having to defend first Cho Cho style, and doing this out of the back half with our current setup.

Everyone focused so much on Spencer at the time. But have said since that day, the brilliance is from J.Webb, not Spencer

Last edited:
Think it's time we bring in the 13 year old Bytel to replace Ross for next week.
I have no problem exposing youngsters to the big league. Less baggage and mental demons! Though for specifically playing Seb's role ( whatever that is ) Hunter is the man to be put into the middle now his confidence is back up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Monday and am still pumped we beat Port over there. Was a cracker of a game. We showed a lot of maturity and mental toughness in that game. I was thinking in the last, I hope they don't start thinking this is ok if we lose this now - had a good game, etc. They didn't, in fact put the foot down and turned it into a 5 goal win - nice little percentage booster against the ladder leaders.
Clark, Paton, Gresh, Jones, Steel, Ryder, Marshall were the standouts for me.

Sincs showed why he should be in the team. Was very good, particularly in the 1st half - so clean and that's without any decent match practice in a very hot game.

Hind was very good in the 1st half too.

Really positive to see Roma and Ryder combining well. Unbelievable to have 2 ruckmans in ur best.

While Coff had a few bad moments, shows maturity that he kept cracking in and had a good 2nd half. Seemed like he was misreading the flight a bit early on.

Hope MParker gets another shot, had a bit of a mare but I like what he brings and it wasn't his night.

Really hope we don't let it get to us against the Swans. Would like to see Bytel and Battle come in but not sure who would go out unless Ross, Kent or Hill need to rest an injury. Otherwise MParker on form would be probably the only one you could drop, even tho I prefer him to get another chance

Think it's time we bring in the 13 year old Bytel to replace Ross for next week.
I have no problem exposing youngsters to the big league. Less baggage and mental demons! Though for specifically playing Seb's role ( whatever that is ) Hunter is the man to be put into the middle now his confidence is back up!
Can Hunter play midfield? Has he in the past?

Think amongst all the hype around our recruits. And some other revelations this year in Steele and the back six what has been lost a little just how important and how good for the most part Gresham has been. A much more rounded player now whom I believe still has another level he can go to.

But besides some shonky kicking at times, he has been superb in the middle last month or so and is constantly looking to get the ball moving forward with attacking intent!

Can Hunter play midfield? Has he in the past?

"Hunter Clark is one of the top inside midfield prospects and shows clean hands and is composed around the stoppages"

"With St Kilda's first of two top 10 picks - for the first time since the Saints drafted Luke Ball and Xavier Clarke in 2001 - St Kilda added a star inside midfielder before selecting rebounding defender Nick Coffield a pick later.

Clark, 18, was one of the most consistent midfielders in the draft pool, starring in the TAC Cup with the Stingrays and in the national championships for Vic Country."

"Hunter Clark is one of the top inside midfield prospects and shows clean hands and is composed around the stoppages"

"With St Kilda's first of two top 10 picks - for the first time since the Saints drafted Luke Ball and Xavier Clarke in 2001 - St Kilda added a star inside midfielder before selecting rebounding defender Nick Coffield a pick later.

Clark, 18, was one of the most consistent midfielders in the draft pool, starring in the TAC Cup with the Stingrays and in the national championships for Vic Country."
Hunter can definetly play in the midfield. In the NAB league his production was still good and his toughness was evident although his decision making seemed to suffer. However, I think better evidence is shown in his time playing in the midfield in the VFL and also stints in the AFL. It won;t happan overnight but I think with more and more time, he will develop into a really really good midfielder with super x factor and class. His natural instincts in traffic and congestion to baulk, combined with his elite hands should hold him in great stead. Also its been encouraging that Ratts has given him oportunity ie the second half of the Freo game.

In that game he had equal second team high 4 clearances including two centre clearances.

Everyone has different opinions. Personally, I like the Never Tear Us Apart crowd song, it's clear why a club would start something like that and it's a good tune. Things like this will always seem fake when first introduced, but in a couple if generations we'll all secretly want something like that.

I like Duursma's archer celebration too. Good on a young undecorated player for doing it after the criticism, after form losses etc. Good to have a bit of theatre in the game. Something for the kids to copy. I liked Milney when he was doing the chainsaw celebrations in his autumn years and this makes me laugh too. More of this please.

I like Port Adelaide's colours especially when mixed with ours, the media stuff for the China game looked great with the kind of "Port & Starboard" themed graphics (ironically, Port is red and Starboard is green!)

They have beaten us for years but I remember a time when it was just the reverse so I don't hate these guys too much - of course I've never had the dubious pleasure of watching them in Adelaide, so I haven't been exposed to their darkest side! To my eyes they are a no-nonsense working class club, a kind of slightly less boring North Melbourne (now that's a club which shits me)

I'm very happy for us to beat Port but wish them the best for the season. They have some very good players and have drafted and traded pretty well, except for letting Doogs go. There is still some question of their legitimacy as a top 4 team, but their best 22 is pretty formidable and will improve. As good as we were, I'm wondering how the game would have panned out if their no. 1 ruck Lycett had been on deck.
Come and watch a game in Adelaide you will change your opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back