Preview Round 8, 2020: Sydney Swans v Hawthorn, 25 July 2020, 3.35pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are a bit top heavy in the forward line, but I think this is best team balance we have had all season

close, but Breust in the forward line, Wingard in the mids and Impey in the backline would really complete an optimal structure imo

I'm incredibly disappointed with our team selection this week, but I'm remaining optimistic only because we are 3-4 from 7 games. Technically we can turn this slump around very quickly and be in finals contention.

If we were 2-5 or if we are 3-7 in a few weeks then I'm sure we'll see Jones, Finn, Moore, Jeka and the other young boys performing strongly in the scratchies.

If we find ourselves completely out of finals contention with Scully, Stratton, Minchington, Puopolo, Brooksby etc STILL in the side, I'd believe Clarko has completely lost his mind.

Since 2009, Clarkson has used a few rookie picks on a mature ruck if there wasn't already one on the list. And every one of these players has played for Hawthorn.

Wayde Skipper, Broc McCauley, Jon Ceglar, Paul 'the legend in plain clothes' Johnson, Jack Fitzstevens and now Keegan Brooksby

Adam Pattison the only one not to play a game.

Sorry to intrude on your game thread, but do you guys think Scrimshaw back will affect Day's role or time on ground at all?

Sorry to intrude on your game thread, but do you guys think Scrimshaw back will affect Day's role or time on ground at all?

I'm not too sure but I'd say it's more likely to benefit it more than anything, as it's not like Day is going to be suited to a defensive shutdown role just because Scrimshaw is back. He might even spend more time up on a wing, although it's possible Scrimshaw will do that instead.

I'd say his role wouldn't change a whole lot, although we might be interested in seeing how he goes in a slightly different position given our mid-small defender stocks.

If Lewis is underdone then he should make way for Jeka (as long as he is showing fitness).
Lewis has been awful as has O’Brien. Perhaps carrying an injury but just can’t impose himself in games. Looks lost. And I have well and truly lost patience with O’Brien. Someone his size and age should now be well settled in the team but he’s still nowhere near it.

Lewis needs to Closely watch how Frost attackS the ball and The man/body at a contest to understand what is required at this level. Until he does this, he will be a flakey proposition. I know he has had some issues with his shoulders but he needs to Learn to use his bulk when he does Eventually stick a tackle
Needs to watch Naughton play footy. Similar position but attacks the ball at full pace like a battering ram despite the fact he isn't solidly built. Love the way he plays and Lewis should take a leaf out of his book if he wants to see the intent needed every week.

Needs to watch Naughton play footy. Similar position but attacks the ball at full pace like a battering ram despite the fact he isn't solidly built. Love the way he plays and Lewis should take a leaf out of his book if he wants to see the intent needed every week.

Lewis played exactly like Naughton last year. Even his numbers were pretty similar. He's lost that competitive spark this year.

Naughton isn't solidly built? Strongly disagree

Lewis also went at it hard last year and definitely had a bit of arrogance and swagger with the way he went about it.

I just think he is underdone and at this point is really trying to play catch up with is hard when you are a young developing key forward playing in a team with limited forward 50 entries and very few kicked to his advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm incredibly disappointed with our team selection this week, but I'm remaining optimistic only because we are 3-4 from 7 games. Technically we can turn this slump around very quickly and be in finals contention.

If we were 2-5 or if we are 3-7 in a few weeks then I'm sure we'll see Jones, Finn, Moore, Jeka and the other young boys performing strongly in the scratchies.

If we find ourselves completely out of finals contention with Scully, Stratton, Minchington, Puopolo, Brooksby etc STILL in the side, I'd believe Clarko has completely lost his mind.

Brooksby is a good option forward, he is a good mark and better ruck than Patto, Lewis and TOB. Jeka could not handle the role that Brooksby is expected to play in my view.

NOTE - He hasn't played a game, so don't include his name please.

Minch has played one...

Brooksby is a good option forward, he is a good mark and better ruck than Patto, Lewis and TOB. Jeka could not handle the role that Brooksby is expected to play in my view.

Minch has played one...
Had 30 hitouts as the back up ruck in the scrimmage did Keegan. Underrated ruckmen IMO. Positions himself well and shows you don't have to be Max Gawn huge to be an effective ruck. I hope he can translate it for us in the seniors.

Lewis has been awful as has O’Brien. Perhaps carrying an injury but just can’t impose himself in games. Looks lost. And I have well and truly lost patience with O’Brien. Someone his size and age should now be well settled in the team but he’s still nowhere near it.

I reckon people are pretty harsh on O'Brien, how is he supposed to settle when we keep chucking him around on the field? Even last year he started playing as a defender, then moved up to a forward/ruck, then basically played as our FF for the last 5 or so games & killed it.

Think if we just played him as a FF which is what he is, he'd actually find consistency & kick goals. Honestly think a lot of the 'problem' with him is just our use of him.

Minch has played one...

Mostly just using the age profile example.
I'd prefer Moore over Minchington if finals are completely off the table.
Would prefer Jones over Scully.
Would prefer Jeka up forward, Big Boy in the ruck and Hartley down back.

We would be spinning our wheels playing older guys over younger guys when there isn't anything to play for.

If we are still in contention then I guess we need to just be content with the 'best side picked' approach.

I reckon people are pretty harsh on O'Brien, how is he supposed to settle when we keep chucking him around on the field? Even last year he started playing as a defender, then moved up to a forward/ruck, then basically played as our FF for the last 5 or so games & killed it.

Think if we just played him as a FF which is what he is, he'd actually find consistency & kick goals. Honestly think a lot of the 'problem' with him is just our use of him.
These threads always turn in to Timmy bashing sessions so i want to avoid that but the whole chucking him around all the time is just a bit wrong. He has extended runs in a position before being moved and it generally because it wasn't working for him. He has now played 14 straight games as a forward, that is plenty.

And really most of his games have been as a forward, he has had 2 extended runs as a defender and the rest of his games as a forward. He is what he is and currently that is best 22. He plays a role because we don't have many other options and yes people seem to want to blame him for all our issues but i think we all just need to be realistic with Timmy.

These threads always turn in to Timmy bashing sessions so i want to avoid that but the whole chucking him around all the time is just a bit wrong. He has extended runs in a position before being moved and it generally because it wasn't working for him. He has now played 14 straight games as a forward, that is plenty.

And really most of his games have been as a forward, he has had 2 extended runs as a defender and the rest of his games as a forward. He is what he is and currently that is best 22. He plays a role because we don't have many other options and yes people seem to want to blame him for all our issues but i think we all just need to be realistic with Timmy.
He's not playing as a deep forward though, that's the point. He's had his best success for us playing extended periods as a deep forward, the problem is that hasn't been where he's been utilised, we keep pushing him further up the ground.

Had 30 hitouts as the back up ruck in the scrimmage did Keegan. Underrated ruckmen IMO. Positions himself well and shows you don't have to be Max Gawn huge to be an effective ruck. I hope he can translate it for us in the seniors.

Dominated at WAFL level but was behind a formidable line-up at the Eags...

If you ready the reserves match reports, you will see that Finn is still ‘learning the Hawthorn game style‘. What that means is that until he is doing everything that the coaches ask of him, he will not be playing seniors. I read a bit of that into the reports on Jones as well. We will need to be patient.

If you ready the reserves match reports, you will see that Finn is still ‘learning the Hawthorn game style‘. What that means is that until he is doing everything that the coaches ask of him, he will not be playing seniors. I read a bit of that into the reports on Jones as well. We will need to be patient.

Longmire used to say the same s**t about Tom Mitchell while he was getting 50+ disposals week after week in the NEAFL.

I'd like to see him take a couple of contested marks forward with maybe 2 goals to go with it.

Apart from McEvoy moving forward for half a quarter against GWS and strongly outmarking Davis, I can't really recall any games where our key forwards have been able to do this.

I couldn't care less about the bloke's age or background. If Brooksby's selection helps us win a game of footy then good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back