Review Round 8, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Focusing on the first half, we were very pretty to watch. Got on top early and it was a cruise control performance.

Sluggish finish to the game but the intensity went out of it and Dockers were never a chance due to our earlier work.

Lyons/Clugga/Linc/Rich/Andrews my 5 for today.

Happy mothers days to all the Lion mums! Well done Lions.

Haven't liked a win of ours less than this one in a long time.

Pick and choose when we go.
Mids leaving the backline to defend all night.
Some selfish plays.
Always trying one thing too much and stuffing it up.
poor finishing skills.

I know a win is a win. But I just feel like we are only as good as the standards you up hold when you know you don't have to go 100% - alot of our guys start thinking about hitting the scoreboard or conserving energy for next week rather than committing to pressure and effort. Something that has been part of our game for a while.

This was a young team with players out. I get this is harsh but if we want to win flags, we gotter be better.

The coaching staff really need to rethink this strategy of going into our shell in the 4th when we have a match winning lead. Not only is it terrible to watch our defence is actually significantly worse when there's no threat that we're going to look forward. I'm sure they want to preserve the players but it is really a frustrating way to play, ruins what are otherwise very good and enjoyable performances

Forward line was great, backline was good, midfield was the worry. Lyons and Clug were up to their usual standards but the others need to lift. In particular the number of players switching off in the second half was concerning.

Votes to Lyons, Rich, Clug, Daniher and Harris Andrews. They all did their jobs, played hard and weren't too selfish. I wanted to give Bailey a vote because he made a lot of exciting plays, but he had almost as many poor plays. Gotta learn to pass when you're not in the best position, the way Clug has learned.

Ah Chee and Prior both looked pretty decent going forward and deserve to keep their spots. Matho was less convincing, and he had better step up next week, or I'd hope Ely Smith gets a chance at his expense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well below our best. Mids were pretty even probably beaten by a strong midfield. Darcy smashing Oscar in the ruck really hurt

Ball movement was poor. Forward line creativity and intercept marking down back won the game for us

I wish I felt entitled enough to whinge about margins but almost 15 years of losses have conditioned me otherwise.
Especially after winning four in a row which prior to 2019 we hadn't done since... 2010.

I wish I felt entitled enough to whinge about margins but almost 15 years of losses have conditioned me otherwise.

‘Whinge’ ....settle down

Last year West Coast missed the top 4 on % and got bundled out in the first week of finals. It is important

Last edited:
Darcy smashing Oscar in the ruck really hurt
I'm not too fussed about Darcy - he's one of the better pure ruckmans left in the competition.

I do wish Oscar had worked him over around the field, because he definitely should have held an advantage there in getting to space to provide a link-up compared to Darcy.

I'm not too fussed about Darcy - he's one of the better pure ruckmans left in the competition.

I do wish Oscar had worked him over around the field, because he definitely should have held an advantage there in getting to space to provide a link-up compared to Darcy.

His ankle must still be bothering him. He used to be pretty good at ground level but this year he’s been hopeless

My votes go to Lyons who was the best midfield comfortably for us Andrews, Starcevich and Rich for winning the ball back, strong defensive efforts and his distribution and went with Linc for his creativity.

Back