Review Round 8, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coasted in neutral in the 4th again. Injury management but yeah, don’t want to make a big habit of it.

If you are disappointed, let this gif loop 20 times and you’ll feel better in the morning.

View attachment 1122942
And even better, he spotted up and hit Charlie with his kick after. Class!
Pity Charlie let him down with the kick on goal.

The thing I enjoy the most about us - we have somehow gotten rid of the "completely stopped" habit. We clock up 50+ points in the first half, and I've become more accustomed to us getting another 2-3 goals in both 3rd and 4th quarters. We always have multiple scoring threats in forward half pushing us towards that 90+ scoring range. It's the most pleasing aspect of 2021 Lions for me, may long it continue.

I don't care about the margin. Good teams often let lesser teams get closer than they should.

It's just the... 'when it suits us'... mentality.. It's bad on field culture.
I'm just trying to think - have we been chased down after putting together a four or five goal lead in the last couple of years? I'm sure there must have been at least one, but every time I can think of we've managed to hold on. The games where we have collapsed for a quarter or more and lost we've had leads in two goal type area, e.g. Geelong last year.

Richmond IMO didn't really play that well and the cats are a lower 8 team at best.
Your right about Richmond, they are still arguably out of form, but Sydney deserve some credit. Geelong shouldn't of lost that game either, they had way more scoring shots and they ultimately ended up costing themselves that game. Geelong shouldn't be underestimated though, almost beat West Coast by 100+ and Richmond by 10 goals. They might be an ageing list but since Cameron has come in their forward line has become 10x more dangerous and impactful.

I'm amazed there are so few votes for Andrews. I thought he was fantastic today. I just want to move on from the game to be honest. We did some good things and then put the queue in the rack second half but a win is a win. Roll on the Suns next week.

Clug played a great game IMO. So did Richy. Ah Chee wasn't too shabby either. Bailey missing goals wasn't the best but he threw himself into contests. Charlie wasn't as good as last week but he seems to be firing up again.
The positive of Charlie's game was that he was getting into scoring positions, which he wasn't in the first few rounds.

Sledge of the day from a guy sat near me: Umpire! You're as blind as Nat Fyfe's hairdresser! :D :D

I'm amazed there are so few votes for Andrews. I thought he was fantastic today. I just want to move on from the game to be honest. We did some good things and then put the queue in the rack second half but a win is a win. Roll on the Suns next week.

In regards to Harris not getting more votes, I think people were paying more attention to Clug, Lyons, and Richy. And by that I mean they were playing out of their skin (in the 1st half at least and some of the third).

The positive of Charlie's game was that he was getting into scoring positions, which he wasn't in the first few rounds.

Sledge of the day from a guy sat near me: Umpire! You're as blind as Nat Fyfe's hairdresser! :D :D

Wtf is with Fyfe's hair?! He's trying to be dusty but with a man bun! Lol

Charlie seems to be rediscovering a love of the game......or he's feeling less threatened by Joey.

I'm just trying to think - have we been chased down after putting together a four or five goal lead in the last couple of years? I'm sure there must have been at least one, but every time I can think of we've managed to hold on. The games where we have collapsed for a quarter or more and lost we've had leads in two goal type area, e.g. Geelong last year.

2019 vs Carlton was a brutal one. We were up by a fair bit early in the game.

Feels like that was a line in the sand game though. We really kicked on after that.

Wtf is with Fyfe's hair?! He's trying to be dusty but with a man bun! Lol

Good bit of banter in our section.

Person 1: Go get a haircut Fyfe!

Person 2: Or at least get them to finish the last one!

It felt like we did have an opportunity to really build a large lead which it's a shame we didn't take. That's because Freo were keen to bounce back after last week and seemed to very determined to show a lot of fight. Especially in the second half.

But in even saying that, I never felt like for a moment things were in doubt. We were awesome when it mattered and satisfactory when it didn't. So I say that's a fine conclusion to the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminded me a little bit of the North game I think it was last year. Not exciting to watch but happy to get another win with Neale out injured. I thought Lyons, Clugg, Starc, Cameron, Andrews and McCarthy were our best.

2019 vs Carlton was a brutal one. We were up by a fair bit early in the game.

Feels like that was a line in the sand game though. We really kicked on after that.
We were up by over 40 points half way through the 2nd quarter, then we stopped and out momentum hit a brick wall then they got a title wave of momentum through the center clearences and nothing we tried to do stopped it.

Wtf with that goal ump getting in the middle of the pack with the players.

The goal umps have been trained to make it all about theatre.

It annoys the hell out of me that they're more worried about looking spectacular than getting it right.

It's really simple to just stand back and watch the ball and play. But they don't wanna do it.

Reminded me a little bit of the North game I think it was last year. Not exciting to watch but happy to get another win with Neale out injured. I thought Lyons, Clugg, Starc, Cameron, Andrews and McCarthy were our best.
At least we build a comfortable margin in this game, I went to the North game last year. It was mostly a scrappy 1-3 goal game for almost the entire match. I'd definitely rate this win over the win against North.

Coasted in neutral in the 4th again. Injury management but yeah, don’t want to make a big habit of it.

If you are disappointed, let this gif loop 20 times and you’ll feel better in the morning.

View attachment 1122942
We replayed this about a dozen times during the game and laughed our heads off. Going to be replayed many times during their careers, probably by their teammates.

We got to a sizeable lead and then cruised to a never in doubt win, a little disappointing that we weren't ruthless and buried them for a a big win, can't always do that though, the Dockers didn't lay down, happy to take the win and move on to next week.

Starcevich is turning into a very good medium defender, Lyons was awesome in tight, Clugga was sublime as usual and Charlie could have had 4-5 goals in the 1st quarter.

Fab5 for me- Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage, Daniel Rich, Brandon Starcevich and Charlie Cameron.

Charlie seems to be rediscovering a love of the game......or he's feeling less threatened by Joey.
Charlie was interviewed straight after the game last week on the ground and i did not have the TV up loud but i swear blind Charlie mentioned he had an issue with his knee and feeling much better now ( along those lines).

Back