Review Round 8, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kinda gives me the shits that we rarely make sides pay on turnover or by missing targets through the center when we are out over the top and it leads to an opposition score. Port were awful last week and I dont think its too much to suggest we could of gone on to win by as much as 100 points. If Richmond were playing Freo tonight they would of likely gone on to win by 70+. As far as I'm concerned Richmond are the measuring stick and compared to what they would do to sides like that we underperformed. We lack the killer instinct those sides above us have.

I don't mind how Daniher has permission to roam and cover the field but just once I want McStay to do that so we can see what a bag Joe could kick up forward...
Mcstay played abit of that role against Carlton few weeks ago. Maybe a few of Mcstays efforts re marking contests in that last quarter against Liam Jones reflects on why Daniher is the preferred option. Mcstay maybe in much smaller spurts than Daniher but geez Daniher looks like he is covering the ground very well at the moment. In that last quarter against carlton Mcstay could not get of the ground in a few contests where jones clearly and easily out marked him.

Percentage hasn’t cost us the last 2 years so not sure why the big fuss
Its cost us the minor premiership twice. Yeah you could say minor premierships don't matter, nobody remembers them and they rarely go on to win the flag. It would be nice to have that over the 3-Peat side, something they didn't achieve in their premiership years.

Mcstay played abit of that role against Carlton few weeks ago. Maybe a few of Mcstays efforts re marking contests in that last quarter against Liam Jones reflects on why Daniher is the preferred option. Mcstay maybe in much smaller spurts than Daniher but geez Daniher looks like he is covering the ground very well at the moment. In that last quarter against carlton Mcstay could not get of the ground in a few contests where jones clearly and easily out marked him.

I like McStay. I reckon he’s playing better lately than he has over the last few seasons. And we’ve been winning since he came back from injury. Coincidence?

C'mon guys, we smashed 'em!
Why is everyone so negative because we took our foot off the pedal late?
It seems to be a Fagan thing, so get used to it!
I think it's because it wasn't "with 5 minutes to go". It was "the entire 2nd half". Gotta be able to play 4 quarters.

I'm just trying to think - have we been chased down after putting together a four or five goal lead in the last couple of years? I'm sure there must have been at least one, but every time I can think of we've managed to hold on. The games where we have collapsed for a quarter or more and lost we've had leads in two goal type area, e.g. Geelong last year.

Carlton in 2019 the only one I can think of.

Starcevich was outstanding I thought, wouldn't surprise me if he features in the coaches votes.

Agree.

I gave him a vote.

Unless my eyes deceived me , He had Walters most of the night and kept him to 8 possessions and one goal.

Apart from Fyfe, Walters is one of Freo's prime movers and has often given us grief in the past.

I like McStay. I reckon he’s playing better lately than he has over the last few seasons. And we’ve been winning since he came back from injury. Coincidence?
My point was Mcstay cant cover the ground like Daniher is covering and then slot back to the forward line and then be able to give a contest. AT THE MOMENT Daniher has the better tank to play this role. I agree that he is an important cog in our forward line structure IMO.

Even fagan looked pissed off at the effort ! We had the opportunity to eat into the 15 % gap between all the teams above us and failed.

yea we won and four points are the main thing but we need to get a killer instinct like the tigers or later it will bite us , for certain

Its cost us the minor premiership twice. Yeah you could say minor premierships don't matter, nobody remembers them and they rarely go on to win the flag. It would be nice to have that over the 3-Peat side, something they didn't achieve in their premiership years.
No offence but if someone wins a 3 peat no one will will give a crap where we finish unless you win the flag or flags. No matter where our current team finish on the ladder the only thing we will have over that 3 peat side is if we win 3-4 premierships.

Can ya be disappointed by a win? I think I am. Up by 47 at one stage, looking up n dangerous. Then to get over the line in the end by just 24. A better team would have beaten us. Freo ran freely from their back 50 to a shot on goal far too often. Fwd pressure was ordinary, Freo got out of the zone easily. Fwd n mids run back was ordinary, Freo got away and it exposed the lack of pace down back. Lester n Birchall got caught short a few times. Rich, Lyons, clugg, linc and starce my best. I do think we controlled the game and were never going to lose but I don't like this take it easy and protect the lead business. It cost the pies a flag against wc, and it's become a real bad habit for them. I don't want it to do the same to us. Play the game out, hard n competitive, build up the tank, harden match fitness.

I've been a supporter of Matho's, wanted to see him do well. But I don't think he offers more than Tom Berry in the middle or around the ground. I think B2 probably offers a bit more, with his pace, chase and evasive skills.

Fages and Linc both seem pretty disappointed in The second half

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie was interviewed straight after the game last week on the ground and i did not have the TV up loud but i swear blind Charlie mentioned he had an issue with his knee and feeling much better now ( along those lines).

But he would say that though wouldn't he? He's
not going to come out and say, ' Was feeling a bit overshadowed by all the fan fair surrounding Big Joe, so it just put me off my game'. Although having said that I'm not saying there definitely wasn't a problem with his knee.

But he would say that though wouldn't he? He's
not going to come out and say, ' Was feeling a bit overshadowed by all the fan fair surrounding Big Joe, so it just put me off my game'. Although having said that I'm not saying there definitely wasn't a problem with his knee.
I dont know that he'd invent an injury that the entire club knew he'd be lying about. Think if it was the Joe Show, he'd have just said he was just out of form and been done with it.

Yet to watch the replay so reluctant to comment much on the game itself
But some positives to take away from this weekend

1:The team/coaches/support staff won't have to travel home from Perth tonight
2: Because of 1 above, the 6 day break should not have any bearing on next weeks game
3: No injuries that were obvious
4: No lions player reported (so far)
5: Miller reported for 1 match. I rate Touk Miller as an elite midfielder so he is a big out for Suns if they don't appeal
6: Charlie Cameron took 11 marks which is 5 more than his previous best of 6 v Port. He is starting to run into form
7: We moved up 2 spots on the ladder
8: Only one win behind Port who are 3rd on ladder. Port play Dogs next week
9: Oscar and Joe won't get beaten 52 to 18 in the ruck contest next week

Yep Freo were utterly rubbish & Port didn't turn up last week.

I see a trend here. We only beat teams that play poor footy.
Carlton are the exception in my opinion, they've taken it to the top sides and we beat them away from home with injuries and major outs during that game.

Last edited:
Carlton are the exception, they've taken it to the top sides and we beat them away with injuries.

My post was tongue in cheek.

Teams we beat play average mainly because we have played better than them & don't allow them to play well. Hence they look bad.

But for some the cup will always be half empty.

I don't mind how Daniher has permission to roam and cover the field but just once I want McStay to do that so we can see what a bag Joe could kick up forward...

This is why Charlie has fallen in love with the game agin. He gets to go back into the vacuum Joey leaves, and that is when he is so dangerous. And Daniher is a stud when he gets to roam. It is working.

This is why Charlie has fallen in love with the game agin. He gets to go back into the vacuum Joey leaves, and that is when he is so dangerous. And Daniher is a stud when he gets to roam. It is working.

I know and I agree, just want to see a big bag of 6 or more!

Back