Review Round 8, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the game again this arvo. Missed Big O's epic chase last night, not sure what I was doing.

We applied huge pressure in the first half, the 2nd it was non existent. They transitioned from defence way too easy. Hipwood is a witches hat when we don't have the ball. Worst in the team for no effort in defence. They just streamed past him

Heard someone say on SEN that Starc has only had 6 goals kicked on him this year.

His oppo has included Paperly, Myers, Tipper, Betts, Gray, Degoey, Walters.

He might be the best lockdown defender in the comp right now.
Had a bag kicked on him in the pre season against sexton from the suns from memory? Thought he might struggle after that, regardless of it being a pre season game.
Been near flawless since.

Attended the game at The Gabba and have just finished watching the replay
As everyone has mentioned we did not have a great 2nd half.
We won the 1st half by 34 but lost the 2nd half by 10 so a net 24 point win against an opponent equal with us on the ladder.
The best players have been mentioned by others

However i want to mention Charlie Cameron's 11 marks
Charlie has been grappling with defenders for some time with mixed results especially free kick wise.
The new man on the mark rule is tailor made for Charlie to lead up to the ball carrier together with any quick ball movement up the field
Charlie took 9 of his marks v Dockers leading up to the ball carrier with 3 out the back
Hope he continues this trend at least in a 70/30% split for future games

Jaxon Prior would be up there as one of the better pick 50's+ we've gotten. Youve just got to play him and Dev I reckon.

Was looking at the outs that weren't playing and there aren't many that replace Prior in the position he's playing. He just looks a real find. Love that pic someone posted of him and Dev as kids. Prior looks a man-child lol.

Im interested to see his physique when he bulks out and grows into it height.

gotta grow out that tache too though, get it nice and strong

finally my love for McCarthy is rewarded ;) Also i suppose some commentators who go on about needing to have a good option on both sides are rewarded too. his versatility on ether side is awesome

finally my love for McCarthy is rewarded ;) Also i suppose some commentators who go on about needing to have a good option on both sides are rewarded too. his versatility on ether side is awesome
Another 2 goals went missing because of cough ups with no left side this time.

It's self evidently a factor in games but obviously not worth the trouble of training players to use alternative sides otherwise everyone would be doing it....you'd think.

What's with Charlie going the banana straight through the points from the same position Brown Lynch and Bradshaw hardly missed from. Aim the left Goal post and it swings in. I guess you have to be able to kick it somewhere near the left goal post.

McCarthy has been in a pretty dam decent patch of for. His delivery inside 50, that hand ball (!!!) And him tapping the ball out infront to control it have been elite.

Clug now outright first in coaches votes

Speculation....................... but it does add up:-

Fages:

5 :Clugga
4: Cameron
3: Lyons
2: Rich
1: Darcy

Longmuir:

5: Lyons
4: Cameron
3: Clugga
2: Starcevic
1:Fyfe

Or they could have voted the other way around,

There are lots of other combinations that make sense

Irrespective, both coaches allocated their 5, 4 and 3 between Clug, Lyons and Cameron AND their 2 and 1 between Rich, Darcy, Starcevic and Fyfe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attended the game at The Gabba and have just finished watching the replay
As everyone has mentioned we did not have a great 2nd half.
We won the 1st half by 34 but lost the 2nd half by 10 so a net 24 point win against an opponent equal with us on the ladder.
The best players have been mentioned by others

However i want to mention Charlie Cameron's 11 marks
Charlie has been grappling with defenders for some time with mixed results especially free kick wise.
The new man on the mark rule is tailor made for Charlie to lead up to the ball carrier together with any quick ball movement up the field
Charlie took 9 of his marks v Dockers leading up to the ball carrier with 3 out the back
Hope he continues this trend at least in a 70/30% split for future games

I think McStay has made a big difference on this one. Once McStay returned from injury, if feels like Joe Daniher has split his time more to just outside F50 arc, ruck and all over the ground. It's leaving the usual forwards McStay, Hipwood and Charlie deeper who understand each other better. Charlie is getting more space around F50 as well.

We haven't dropped a game since McStay got back. All Hail King McStay !! :D

Can i have a guess and say he is the one in red because the one in black is nearly as tall as Dayne

True, but the one in the red appears to be looking up before kicking the footy, which is nothing like Dayne.

True, but the one in the red appears to be looking up before kicking the footy, which is nothing like Dayne.

Neither are gesturing at an umpire. Are we sure it's actually his?

I prefer Roaming Joe to Roaming Brian :)

Joe looks happy he has license to leave forward 50.. Also seems happy rucking as well.
There was quite an audible laugh in my section of the stand when Joe picked up I think it was Walters in a bear hug when the ump blew for a ball up. I dunno if Walters appreciated it much but Joe had a pretty clear grin on his face :)

Jaxon Prior would be up there as one of the better pick 50's+ we've gotten. Youve just got to play him and Dev I reckon.

Was looking at the outs that weren't playing and there aren't many that replace Prior in the position he's playing. He just looks a real find. Love that pic someone posted of him and Dev as kids. Prior looks a man-child lol.
Might have been mention previously but prior has a J Brown look about his shape. Looks like he is similar height as Gardiner when they stood next to each other. Going to end up being a solid unit.

His movement when having a shot at goal reminds me alot of one J Brown.

I think McStay has made a big difference on this one. Once McStay returned from injury, if feels like Joe Daniher has split his time more to just outside F50 arc, ruck and all over the ground. It's leaving the usual forwards McStay, Hipwood and Charlie deeper who understand each other better. Charlie is getting more space around F50 as well.

3KZ where r u? The silence is deafeninggggggggggggggggggg.

Have we dropped a game since Adams came in ? Maybe one.

Haven't dropped one since Neal was injured . Or Prior came back in.
3KZ where r u? The silence is deafeninggggggggggggggggggg.
I'll step in.

He's playing ok . He can do more.

Our gradual improvement in form is due to the following imo.

Daniher, no explanation needed.

McCarthy and Ah Chee putting a lot of pressure on up forward helping our guns.

If he's not there already Lyons is about to become an A grader. MCluggage has graduated. Zorko has his pace back.

A fit Adams has added strength and versatility to the backline. Starcevich is growing in confidence every week. We look a lot more solid down back.

I think we're a better team than last year . Overall stronger down forward and down back. If we can get Neale back and Berry can get anywhere near what we expected we've got a very strong team.

Just read a fair selection of the comments. Jeez we're marking ourselves pretty hard these days.
About a minute ago on the clock of football fortune we were a pretty uninspiring team and had been
for a decade. A four goal win against a half decent side would be the cause of wild celebration, libations
and euphoria that could last a week and a half. If you followed the Roys in the mid-nineties, it would be
so good everyone would be crying. You'd wear your Fitzroy jumper to work all week and people would give you a
seat on the tram.
Even now that we're at the very least a good chance every single game, i still get that surge of joy and pride whenever
we get the points. Doesn't matter who against or by how much. It's a kind of love. I just love watching our boys, (and,
every bit as much, the women's team), having a crack and kicking some goals, whether they make a few blues
and get beaten in certain areas, or whether they're purring like a Rolls. And we have a coach who is
not only not a dickhead, but is a footy wizard and a terrific bloke. We're swimming in nectar.
Some gems from the game: Linc's handball. A thing of beauty.
Saint Hughie orchestrating a car crash and waltzing away with the booty.
Lyons' return of serve tackle on Fyffe in the centre. Wouldn't surprise if he has martial arts chops.
Fages' smile just after wishing Sarah jones a happy mothers' day. Could bottle that.

Carn'a'Lions

Back