Preview Round 8 2021, Fremantle vs Brisbane Lions, GABBA!, Sunday 9th May 4:40pm AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm nervous about this "should win" one. One of the first ones we've come up against this season. Hope the boys are switched on from the first bounce.
We will win this by at least 4 goals. We are extremely hard to beat at the GABBA. I think the fast deck means we give Madden another game, thought he was OK for his debut and therefore Lester or Birchall should miss out.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Personally I think Lester is just a better player than Gardiner, and has been for a couple of years.

I don't really agree that Gardiner is tougher or more dependable. He's physically stronger, and he probably still has a bit more upside. That's about all I can think of in Darcy's favour.

One moment in our season that doesn't get recalled as often as it should is Lester's mark at half back in the last minute against Collingwood, that eventually led to Bailey's goal. That was a flat, tumbling kick from Grundy. It had to be marked, and the only way that was going to happen is if a defender got their positioning absolutely perfect. That's Lester and not Gardiner. Being exactly where you need to be doing exactly what you need to do isn't exciting, but it wins games.
I've been on the Lester bandwagon for years but can't agree with this at all. Gardiner is more valuable with his ability to play tall, small or on quicks which is where Lester gets exposed. To me he is a jack of all trades, master of none whilst Gardiner is an elite lockdown/hybrid defender.

I miss Thursday team reveals. Waiting for Saturday night is just too long.

soon

Fremantle's defence is ravaged by injuries, our forwards are going to monster them.

Yw9ZzjR0vOBn2HaEGLbOAqBnwcQ=.gif

Until it happens STFU my man.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
After musing it over all week I think the out for Darcy Gardiner will be either Ryan Lester(omitted) or Grant Birchall(managed).... James Madden to be given another crack.:clapping:

After musing it over all week I think the out for Darcy Gardiner will be either Ryan Lester(omitted) or Grant Birchall(managed).... James Madden to be given another crack.:clapping:

Madden out will probably happen. Love Lester but doesn't have Birch's kicking and I think Gardiner is a better lockdown defender. Lester has become a super solid defender though and has as much flexibility as anyone on our list. Who's omitted tonight will be interesting.

Ditto for Lester.

I'm very much on the record as a Froggy fan, but they are different flavours of defender. But if you had to choose one or the other it'd be Dizzy every day of the week.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm very much on the record as a Froggy fan, but they are different flavours of defender. But if you had to choose one or the other it'd be Dizzy every day of the week.

One of them takes Buddy or Jeremy Cameron or a gun small forward, the other tends to play on much less threatening forwards.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
andrews + lester or andrews + gardiner.

not even close

though I also like lester up forward at times, gardiner as a forward scares me :'(

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty sure Madden will be replaced by Dizzy. Dont agree with it as I think the match ups would be better with him in & Lester out but the coach's know more than any of us dont they? ;)

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Kiddy as med for me ........hopefully the ability to take on Walters if injury to a back.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm happy with the team. It looks strong across the board. Devrob n Prior holding their spots comfortably atm, is it too early to declare a breakout year for both? I like matho, love what he brings to the club, but he needs a better game than last week. Hopefully he picks the pace of the game up better and racks up some good numbers. He's got B1, CEY and Ely breathing down his neck, all a week or two from coming back from injury, so he needs to string a few good games together. B2 to get the sub spot for mine. Although I would be happy for Madden to get the job.

Hope we do a job on freo, really rack up a score, and defend and pressure them out of the game. Keep them to 40 and beat em by 100. The teamwork, grit and pressure we have been playing with recently makes me feel like we're due to roll over someone comfortably. Remind the rest of the comp that we're a force to be reckoned with, even without Neale.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dizzy for Madden unfortunately
Apart from Taberner who has kicked a few this year, and Schultz and the dangerous Waters, Freemantle are not that damaging even with Fye going forward, this would have been a perfect game on a hard fast GABBA deck to play Madden instead of Lester or Birchall. Lester and Birchall will no doubt look like superstars against an ordinary Dockers outfit. I feel a little disappointed for Madden as I don't think the team is considerably weaken with him given another opportunity.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty sure Madden will be replaced by Dizzy. Dont agree with it as I think the match ups would be better with him in & Lester out but the coach's know more than any of us dont they? ;)
You would hope so, but then again their only human and I think can be bias. Many examples in sport and life generally where persons have been denied opportunities only to thrive in another environment. I think we missed an opportunity to give a young guy who was OK on his debut another game at home on a fast track.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One of them takes Buddy or Jeremy Cameron or a gun small forward, the other tends to play on much less threatening forwards.
100% This Sunday Lester won't get Taberner, he won't get Schultz, he won't get Walters so absolutely agree, no comparison with Dizzy.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apart from Taberner who has kicked a few this year, and Schultz and the dangerous Waters, Freemantle are not that damaging even with Fye going forward, this would have been a perfect game on a hard fast GABBA deck to play Madden instead of Lester or Birchall. Lester and Birchall will no doubt look like superstars against an ordinary Dockers outfit. I feel a little disappointed for Madden as I don't think the team is considerably weaken with him given another opportunity.
I think Madden out was always going to happen, at least once the game got moved to the Gabba. There's less of an incentive to rest a veteran in a home game. I'm sure there will be more chances for Madden in future, he made a good account of himself last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back