Preview Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 8th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will not be an easy game at all. They've always been hard for us to beat, & they seem to be gelling even better this year (though they always fall off a cliff come mid-season, so jury is still out...but it's only a matter of time before they're one of the best teams in the comp. Too much talent for it not to happen) I'm tipping an unconfident win. Saints by 3.

Interesting article in the Hun today about (oh wait is that racist or derogatory? Should I perhaps edit this post? Meh)

Interesting article in the paper today about the draw.

apparently from here on in we have the third hardest draw (makes sense -we still have to play one game against four of the top five and two of those teams we have to play twice. But yeah - should be a fun few months.

must beat the Suns or its back to square season f’ed.

View attachment 1119233
Oh la la Demons, here comes reality! From easiest draw to hardest straight away.

Now Fatracca's got his juicy contract watch him fulfil Trout's flog prophecy as the rest of the team turn to water.

Dis gon be gooood
EDIT: a bit dubious that their first 6 weeks were the easiest draw, being that that included Geelong & Richmond. They start the hardest draw in the AFL with a game against... Carlton, so I can only assume the rest is going to be an absolute ballbreaker.

Last edited:
Interesting article in the Hun today about (oh wait is that racist or derogatory? Should I perhaps edit this post? Meh)

apparently from here on in we have the third hardest draw (makes sense -we still have to play one game against four of the top five and two of those teams we have to play twice. But yeah - should be a fun few months.

View attachment 1119233

A big part of our draw is how good Sydney turn out to be. We’ve got them twice still, if they end up being s**t as originally predicted then that helps us a lot.

I've voted for the Saints win, but so far I have one match prediction right this year! Who knows, but it would be very nice to get two consecutive good performances. It's definitely winnable, so I'm quietly confident. We just need to see which Saints team turns up on the day.

Yeah, I'm hoping the win based on 4 quarters of high energy, high effort team football will have flipped the switch. Gold Coast won't have them scared but the bigger issue is that they might not take the match seriously enough. Gold Coast are a year or two off being a serious side, they are good enough now to take down sides around them but I think in 2 years they should be a serious finals threat. If they play one of their glimpse into the future games it might not matter how well we play.

A big part of our draw is how good Sydney turn out to be. We’ve got them twice still, if they end up being sh*t as originally predicted then that helps us a lot.

I don't think they'll be s**t but I think it will be hard for them to sustain that form. So much of their quality is young, they usually start running out of steam the longer the season goes.

It will be amazingly good if that’s the case, and even the article on the AFL website tipped that they would be no change for the 3rd straight week, but surely they’ll bring Zac Smith in, after he got through a game in the ressies last weekend.

Imagine Ryder in particular against those other two tho if they don’t!

It can work when you just give up the ruck and shark the taps but that generally requires really high level ball winning mids. They were obviously good enough to do that last week, hopefully we will have done a review and worked on some strategy to free our guys from being stood on. We don't seem to like working accountably in the midfield. In the Melbourne match they stood all our mids and gave no room to run into and it was like we just stopped even trying.

Gordon Fode?? What a blast from the past 😆 Didn't he have a 40-50 goal year in the late 80's. I remember him booting consistent 4 goal bags a few weeks in a row. He disappeared quickly though...

I remember that he looked really good for a minute then just evaporated out of the game. Guys like him and Ralphsmith seemed like hope but for what ever reason they just disappeared from footy. Heater was the same, came in to footy like a comet and burned up just as they came into view.

Oh la la Demons, here comes reality! From easiest draw to hardest straight away.

Now Fatracca's got his juicy contract watch him fulfil Trout's flog prophecy as the rest of the team turn to water.

Dis gon be gooood
EDIT: a bit dubious that their first 6 weeks were the easiest draw, being that that included Geelong & Richmond. They start the hardest draw in the AFL with a game against... Carlton, so I can only assume the rest is going to be an absolute ballbreaker.

And we should have been a hard side to play as well after winning a final. It looks like a load of s**t to be honest. An article to fire up the fans in a quiet week.

I remember that he looked really good for a minute then just evaporated out of the game. Guys like him and Ralphsmith seemed like hope but for what ever reason they just disappeared from footy. Heater was the same, came in to footy like a comet and burned up just as they came into view.
Fodey had a lot of injuries. Started as a back then played forward with sometimes spectacular results but as you say, disappeared for long stretches. Good all round sportsman and I think he went back to soccer after he finished.

NB -I just checked (and double checked because I didn't believe the stats) He kicked 5.9 in a game against Geelong in 1993!!!

And we should have been a hard side to play as well after winning a final. It looks like a load of sh*t to be honest. An article to fire up the fans in a quiet week.
I agree. When I said it was interesting I was more pointing to the fact that our draw has been one of the hardest so far and is still one of the hardest to come.

it was easy to say pre season that we had a tough draw but now part way through the season it turns out to still be tough even though we don’t play the current top two twice.

also interesting because if you add the two totals for toughness of draw We easily have the lowest score which is 9.

but looking at our injury list we are actually pretty healthy right now so it’s time to start winning and no more excuses. Line in the sand. 2021 begins now.

Remember reading similar comments before the Dees and Bombers games
Yes it would definitely seem the most reliable form guide for StKilda is the hopes of the supporters.

We should all just write off the whole season and not watch or listen to any games, then watch our premiership on replay.
Rinse and repeat the next year..

Yes it would definitely seem the most reliable form guide for StKilda is the hopes of the supporters.

We should all just write off the whole season and not watch or listen to any games, then watch our premiership on replay.
Rinse and repeat the next year..
The Saints way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to believe that we will win this and have confidence we will keep winning! It certainly aint easy!

Maybe it comes at a price........in the sense that faith is an investment and it is through all having faith and believing that we get stronger...I mean thats what the motto says ... a bit like Miracle on 34th Street and believing in Christmas Spirit and Santa. :D

Good separate thread topic. Saints we thought would provide us years of joy who just disappeared with a fizz.
Darren Bourke comes to mind. Such a beautiful kick. My old schoolmate Johnny Georgiou, brilliant hands.

AFL cite tipsters can't be split on Gold Coast and St Kilda. Twomey, Ewards, Pearce and Kornes all tipping Suns.,
Beveridge, Schmook, CLeary and Whiting tipping Saints. FWTWorth,

Clearly its thought to be tough game to pick....so important for both sides/ I'm inclined to feel we loose if we dont win easily! lol!

Last edited:
Good separate thread topic. Saints we thought would provide us years of joy who just disappeared with a fizz.
Darren Bourke comes to mind. Such a beautiful kick. My old schoolmate Johnny Georgiou, brilliant hands.
Bourke was a nice kick for sure , Johnny's claim to fame was playing as a school kid , wasn't much chop though

If you need a laugh go onto footywire and check out the list of past players , god we have been suckers for taking everyone's washed up hacks over the years

Yeah, I'm hoping the win based on 4 quarters of high energy, high effort team football will have flipped the switch. Gold Coast won't have them scared but the bigger issue is that they might not take the match seriously enough. Gold Coast are a year or two off being a serious side, they are good enough now to take down sides around them but I think in 2 years they should be a serious finals threat. If they play one of their glimpse into the future games it might not matter how well we play.
Can't see why we wiuldnt take this game or any other for that matter seriously,when the Club has won just 1Premiership in its history,and only participated in Finals once in the last 10 years.

View attachment 1119233

Pretty tough draw.

The only other team whose draw gets significantly harder is brisbane who go from 7th to 2nd hardest draw (west coast also go from 8th to 7th hardest).

When I saw that we had the 6th hardest draw so far I presumed that it would get easier. I guess not. We have a lot working against us this year.

Last edited:
If you need a laugh go onto footywire and check out the list of past players , god we have been suckers for taking everyone's washed up hacks over the years
We are always looking for an easy way out of the bottom rungs. Sometimes you just have to do it the hard way. GT and Butterss did it and gave us one of our few sustained peaks.

Can't see why we wiuldnt take this game or any other for that matter seriously,when the Club has won just 1Premiership in its history,and only participated in Finals once in the last 10 years.

You say that but history says otherwise.

Stress fractures in his foot wrecked Darren Bourke career

Pretty tough draw.

The only other team whose draw gets harder is brisbane who go from 7th to 2nd hardest draw.

When I saw that we had the 6th hardest draw so far I presumed that it would get easier. I guess not. We have a lot working against us this year.
We were lumped with a nightmare fixture. Adding to that injury confidence and form and it’s going to be a tough year.

We were lumped with a nightmare fixture. Adding to that injury confidence and form and it’s going to be a tough year.
But if we're good enough...

I see this like a panicky person who can't isolate their daily tasks. It feels worse when you think of EVERYTHING that needs to be done as one big list, but once you isolate each item individually, it becomes easier to break down. Same with our fixture, if our form improves, just break down it as one game a week and not 'a run of 4 hard games' etc. and all that stuff. Win this week, then we focus on Geelong and only Geelong.

How about teams begin to worry about us in their fixture as opposed to us worrying about who we have. That would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back