Preview Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 8th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With 15seconds remaining, Max has gone to the backline to help defend our lead and the inevitable happens.
Saints in a close one.

View attachment 1118916
Perhaps after the Sandy game Lones comes back in 😉

zZpuK91.jpg

Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think battle is overrated on here to be fair. If he was a gun key forward we would of left him there and king would have to be fighting for his spot, but he’s not. He’s shown glimpses but never really put it all together consistently. He’s not quick enough to play on a wing even though the coaches have a weird fascination about it. I personally thinks he plays his best footy down back but once again if the coaches had full faith in him there would be no need to be playing Joyce etc. I still have high hopes for him but how much longer do we persist before he runs out of time to nail down a spot?

I tend to agree.

I think he could be an excellent intercept defender. One of the best even.

I'd switch him to permanent half back and move Coffield to a wing.

Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
For whatever reason, Coffield seems reluctant to run and carry at AFL level. I don’t know if the wing would be good for him.

He has all the tools required to be a devastating weapon on the wing and now has enough experience to be pushed outside his comfort zone. Sink or swim time I think. For he and Battle.

Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Hmm, coming off our best game of the season with no injuries seems like the perfect time to f*** with the lineup:think:

It's more about tinkering for the long term. The discussion is probably for another thread, not particularly this game, but something mid to long term we need to look into.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
For whatever reason, Coffield seems reluctant to run and carry at AFL level. I don’t know if the wing would be good for him.
Big step on the weekend to see him inside forward 50 taking a mark and then goaling. It was a very unusual spot to find the Coff.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Big step on the weekend to see him inside forward 50 taking a mark and then goaling. It was a very unusual spot to find the Coff.
It helps when the opposition kick it straight to you coming out of defence.

It would be great if he could push down and kick the odd goal though.

I'd love to see him start taking the game on. We rarely see his break away speed that he showed in his draft year.

He's already a terrific intercept mark and kick, if he could add that to his game he's an AA player IMO. Perfectly suited to half back

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's more about tinkering for the long term. The discussion is probably for another thread, not particularly this game, but something mid to long term we need to look into.
I'd prefer they try and salvage the season first. If we hit the bye and we're not a chance, then by all means tinker. Or tank like all f*** if we can..

I cant believe that 70% of the people on here think we will win , the suns are getting a bit of Mojo ATM , we have struggled to get over them at the last few matches and they are playing better than they have for years , its a massive danger game i think.
Also not sure the Hawthorn win means anything , they were hats

I cant believe that 70% of the people on here think we will win , the suns are getting a bit of Mojo ATM , we have struggled to get over them at the last few matches and they are playing better than they have for years , its a massive danger game i think.

They are and you are right but if you don't pick your own side in a close to 50/50 contest then you're a bigger a-hole than me even. It's a week for getting ahead of ourselves again, we haven't had one of those for ages, just enjoy it Risky.

They are and you are right but if you don't pick your own side in a close to 50/50 contest then you're a bigger a-hole than me even. It's a week for getting ahead of ourselves again, we haven't had one of those for ages, just enjoy it Risky.
No , im happy to be an A Hole , i dont trust them and until they can prove that they can do it week after week im going to be that A Hole .

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a Saints thread so not really surprising people are leaning towards the team they barracks for. Happens every week.

I think it's a genuine 50/50 game depending on which St Kilda side turns up.

Having Paddy and Marshall most likely up against an underdone Zac Smith is a bonus for us.

We should be able to win the midfield battle IF our midfield play near their best.

They have some terrific players around the ground though and their pace is a worry.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes when we beat the Suns I’m ripping the lid off (again) and going full blown premiership threat like I was during our preseason wins

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a Saints thread so not really surprising people are leaning towards the team they barracks for. Happens every week.

Having Paddy and Marshall most likely up against an underdone Zac Smith is a bonus for us.

We should be able to win the midfield battle IF our midfield play near their best.

They have some terrific players around the ground though and their pace is a worry.
I can see them running right over the top of us if we aren't job prepared!

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
You could say the same thing about their win over Collingwood who were awful.

I've heard a few Gold Coast fans say this new 190cm forward from the VFL who kicked 4 last week cant be matched up on and why they will win. Callum Wilkie would disagree with this.

With Marshall and Ryder back, this is a game we should be 100% winning.

They had 3 blokes get over 30 possessions on the weekend , its going to be tight

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
They had 3 blokes get over 30 possessions on the weekend , its going to be tight
Agree it's going to be tight That's why I said I think it's a 50-50 game.

Hawthorn also had 3 players with 30 plus possessions on the weekend so that doesn't really say a lot about who wins and loses.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda

Well every game is now a danger game for us this year as we do not know which St Kilda will turn up to play. Effort seems random, rather than all game, every game.

However last two times we played GC we did not have Paddy, but the Suns had Witts.

Paddy makes such a big difference for our mids.

For this game we will have one of the best balanced St Kilda teams we have had in recent years. While we do lack a true second tall key defender, the Suns only have one tall forward in King and no true ruck at all to push forward.

I hope that we keep both Bytel and Byrnes in as like playing the deeper group of mids.

Webster is now match fit and in form, and so the loss of Paton/Geary is not as severe as it was early in the season.

So yes the Suns will test us and a win will probably not be easy. But it is crucial that we win.

Our season of being based in Qld should help us to play better in Qld this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back