Preview Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 8th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good separate thread topic. Saints we thought would provide us years of joy who just disappeared with a fizz.
Darren Bourke comes to mind. Such a beautiful kick. My old schoolmate Johnny Georgiou, brilliant hands.
Heatley, Luke Penny, Cadyn Beatham, Tom Ledger 😜😜😜

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
We were lumped with a nightmare fixture. Adding to that injury confidence and form and it’s going to be a tough year.
I must be a bit brain damaged when it comes to this stuff, because I love a hard fixture and a low %.
If you're a proper chance to win, then you need to be knocking off the top teams during the season. Richmond for example will always have the easiest draw because they sit atop the rankings. Where as if Norff had an identical draw it will be deemed harder because they sit at the bottom of the rankings. I think everyone knows this already but people get sucked into believing the number, whereas is't actually a sliding scale that basically means the more you win the easier it gets. Bring good form and your fixture gets easier..

The other is poor percentage. If you're good enough you make finals on premiership points, but if you don't make finals and sit in the middling group, a bad percentage will get you pick 6 rather than pick 9.
It's a small consolation, but I think this closely represents where our season is poised at the moment.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hard to believe a team that wasn't Top 4,would cop a brutal fixture like we have.

Swings and roundabouts.

We had an easy fixture last year and probably wouldn't have made finals at all, let alone win one, had our draw been even a little tougher.

I want us to win a FLAG in the next few years- I'm not interested in us merely being competitive and peaking with this group at ~6th place and the occasional finals appearance and win.

We've been rebuilding for a decade and our best 22 are mostly all entering (or in) their prime years- now is the time in the next few years for us to be up challenging for top 4 and a flag.

We should be in the 2009 mindset of expecting to win regardless of who or where we play.

Any team, anywhere.

If we are still needing to hide behind fixturing excuses after a decade in the wilderness then we are wasting our time.
May as well bottom out again and tank.

So I actually think a tough draw this year could be a very good thing for us.
If we can prove to ourselves that we can regularly best good teams this year, that will almost certainly get us closer to a flag with this group.

If we can't and have a lousy year, well it shows we have a soft underbelly that isn't anywhere near flag contention- so we need to make more big changes in the offseason.

Last edited:
Swings and roundabouts.

We had an easy fixture last year and probably wouldn't have made finals at all, let alone win one, had our draw been even a little tougher.

I want us to win a FLAG in the next few years- I'm not interested in us merely being competitive and peaking with this group at ~6th place and the occasional finals appearance and win.

We've been rebuilding for a decade and our best 22 are mostly all entering (or in) their prime years- now is the time in the next few years for us to be up challenging for top 4 and a flag.

We should be in the 2009 mindset of expecting to win regardless of who or where we play.

Any team, anywhere.

If we are still needing to hide behind fixturing excuses after a decade in the wilderness then we are wasting our time.
Yep , about time the poor us syndrome stopped , if you listen to some on here everyone from Scomo to janitor at the AFL is out to get us , time to stand up saints and earn some respect , not keep asking for it

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Swings and roundabouts.

Any team, anywhere.

Every team played each other once last season,so how was it an easy fixture.
My point was that teams 1,2,3 and 4 were the best teams in 2020 thus should have the harder fixture

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Fodey had a lot of injuries. Started as a back then played forward with sometimes spectacular results but as you say, disappeared for long stretches. Good all round sportsman and I think he went back to soccer after he finished.

NB -I just checked (and double checked because I didn't believe the stats) He kicked 5.9 in a game against Geelong in 1993!!!
He was a talent but injuries hampered his career including a dislocated shoulder against the swans from memory.

He also had the bad luck to be behind some incredible talent in our forward line and then made a very poor decision imo when he chose the hawks over collingwood. The hawks had a stacked forward line and collingwood had nothing so 1 year at the hawks and he gave it away. He spent some time at Lorne and collegians did a knee from memory then had a crack at playing soccer again.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Every team played each other once last season,so how was it an easy fixture.
My point was that teams 1,2,3 and 4 were the best teams in 2020 thus should have the harder fixture

Oh yeah i forgot about that, i was thinking of the precovid fixture.

Forget swings and roundabouts then- other point still stands.
Ie- the training wheels are off- either we're good enough with this group or we're not.

Getting a decent fixture is what flag pretenders use to look closer to real success than they really are.

I'd rather us be bottom 4 rebuilding again than flag pretenders with training wheels on.
I'm glad we've got a tough draw.

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am not solely talking about St.Kilda,in regards to difficult fixtures,if the AFL is going to have 18 teams and a 22 Round Season,then the higher you finish the tougher the fixture should be the following season.
We only have ourselves to blame for being in the situation we are currently in and not the fixture,as 2 of our losses have been against bottom 8 sides from 2020 season.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
then the higher you finish the tougher the fixture should be the following season.

This is what already happens.

But only after corporate interests are taken care of.... eg big money drawing teams like carlton and collingwood playing eachother twice etc etc.

The money side of the equation is always going to take precedent over football performance 'fairness', all the more so now the league has no cash reserves post covid.

You're better off arguing for a permanent change to a 17 week season.
So long as things remain beyond 17 rounds- the money is always going to win.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
I am not solely talking about St.Kilda,in regards to difficult fixtures,if the AFL is going to have 18 teams and a 22 Round Season,then the higher you finish the tougher the fixture should be the following season.
We only have ourselves to blame for being in the situation we are currently in and not the fixture,as 2 of our losses have been against bottom 8 sides from 2020 season.
Strength of the fixture based on ladder position is a flawed analysis considering it changes from week to week.

they should look at incorporating an aspect of % in it. Would probably make it more accurate and protect the clubs that maybe over achieve and properly inline those that under achieve due to injuries.

flyingmagic

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

We have lost against Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond and Essendon.

Not sure we have ourselves to blame as Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Richmond have the three best betting odds for the flag. Obviously the loss against Essendon was a shocker, but we have been unlucky with the fixture in my opinion and it's not going to get any easier. Gold Coast is a must win if we are to have any chance of getting our season back on track.

bennymc7

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Screenshot_20210506-125318.png

Strength of the fixture based on ladder position is a flawed analysis considering it changes from week to week.

they should look at incorporating an aspect of % in it. Would probably make it more accurate and protect the clubs that maybe over achieve and properly inline those that under achieve due to injuries.
Yeah there has to be a more even way , Myself and a few others had a lunch with Hardwick and co at punt road through work back in 2016 and were allowed to ask questions,
They were not traveling well at the time and i asked him did they over achieve in 2015 ending up 5th and his blunt reply was yes , he said everything went right for them that year , the draw , injuries , ect ect and he didn't think they deserved to make the finals , hence the next year with a tougher draw they ended up 13th on the ladder.

Good to hear Max is doing some extra set shot work after the main session. Hopefully Ben has been sending him texts all week saying how many more goals hes gonna kick than Max - get a bit of the old sibling rivalry going.

get austin robertson down there and he'll be kicking 10 straight soon

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
We are coming in this game after having beaten the Suns the last 5 times we have played them, the last 4 times by under a goal.
Of the 8 games played at Metricon between the sides we are ahead 5-3.

I think we win this in the middle of the ground with Ryder and Marshall giving us first use all day and like the Hawks game, if we can overpower them there then we should be able to move the ball well to our advantage and win the game fairly comfortably.

I am expecting a lot of resistance from them, they are not a bad team and will be desperate to win given that we have had the edge by the finest of margins for the last 4 years. I'm thinking that it will be fairly even until the 3rd quarter and we'll start to edge ahead and run out winners.

Saints by 30 points.

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
Lmao, hope Zak Jones gets into a fight at training every week if it means he plays like he did against Hawthorn

I feel like Jones fighting with Alabakis would be similar to an adult holding back a child with one arm stretched out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back