Preview Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 8th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to give the utmost respect to their tall forwards - we know how good King is but we have to watch out for Corbett too. He was excellent on the weekend. I think Webster takes Rankine and Doogs gets Kingy and Wilkie for Corbett. Let’s leave Battle to try and offer assistance in the contest and Coffield as the intercept. If we play the same team with the same structure as we did against hawthorn we should win this.

We have to give the utmost respect to their tall forwards - we know how good King is but we have to watch out for Corbett too. He was excellent on the weekend. I think Webster takes Rankine and Doogs gets Kingy and Wilkie for Corbett. Let’s leave Battle to try and offer assistance in the contest and Coffield as the intercept. If we play the same team with the same structure as we did against hawthorn we should win this.
If fit. Has to be Frawley for Joyce. He desperately needs AFL touch before the geelong game.

Irregardless of vfl form yesterday.

If fit. Has to be Frawley for Joyce. He desperately needs AFL touch before the geelong game.

I think Frawley should play one more week in the twos. i don’t think he’s back to full fitness.

Gold Coast only have one big key forward - King - the rest are around the 190cm mark so would be a good match up for Highmore.

That said, I agree it would be good for Frawley to have a proper run before we come up against Hawkins and Cameron.

I think battle is overrated on here to be fair. If he was a gun key forward we would of left him there and king would have to be fighting for his spot, but he’s not. He’s shown glimpses but never really put it all together consistently. He’s not quick enough to play on a wing even though the coaches have a weird fascination about it. I personally thinks he plays his best footy down back but once again if the coaches had full faith in him there would be no need to be playing Joyce etc. I still have high hopes for him but how much longer do we persist before he runs out of time to nail down a spot?

Gold Coast only have one big key forward - King - the rest are around the 190cm mark so would be a good match up for Highmore.

That said, I agree it would be good for Frawley to have a proper run before we come up against Hawkins and Cameron.
The kings don’t have the aerobic capacity to roam the arcs for a whole game - Frawley is also a big body which they tend to struggle with. So he should be able to get through the game comfortably. My worry is he comes in and gets shown up from lacking AFL touch against probably the 2 best key forwards in the last 5 years if he comes in against the cats.

It also allows us to see what Howard’s taking right foot can do offensively from Half back - hopefully to good effect like goose gave us 15 years ago.

i thought battle was showing sides of absolutely ripping the game apart up fwd on the weekend then he fell into a hole and seemed to disappear.

he looks great when he gets on his bike and starts crashing packs. he's a brave player and knows where the goals are.

personally I hope he stays. i think he could go past membrey at CHF.

I only managed to catch a bit of the game but it looked like the suns were doing the old fashioned flood against the pies? Need quick ball movement to prevent the same happening to us.
Play like last week and we'll win this comfortably imo.
I kind of agree. It’s really down to intent and effort on our part. I highly doubt we go into this thinking this should be an easy win because they are really good up at home - their one loss there this year was a narrow one to Carlton. So bring the same intensity and effort and most importantly respect our opposition. I’d actually prefer this to be a more workmanlike performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree to a point but DMac has been good this year. Couldn't do much more than he's doing. He's probably the only player in the side that could claim to be playing at 100% capacity with both work rate and skills. His kicking has improved out of sight as has his composure. DMac is probably a depth player that has earned his spot in the current side, Battle is a developing tall that is struggling to cement his spot at the moment but has time on his side. There is something very Geary like about DMac, nice bloke, hard worker, lacks skills but you know he'll try his arse off and eventually will earn some respect for it.

I tend to agree, Think he has improved this year. He was fantastic v WCE, was caught a couple of times v Tiger but he had lots of mates, and at least out the physical stuff up against Port when they were bullying us.

I reckon he is a better kick than Geary and is as hard at it as anyone in the team. He reminds me of Powell the way he goes in and under, just burrows in. An athlete more than footballer and must use that as his strength. Can be a proficient bottom 6 player.

On the 29th???
Yessssss that’ll fit in perfectly with my Saints themed 60th birthday.
which makes it a must win.
Yeah 29th May. I’m going with my mate and my son who I’m pretty sure is yet to attend a St Kilda win (as we rarely go to St Kilda games) we were at the G for Carlton Essendon and he said “I wish we could go see the saints” so I told him I’d take him to see a game. I’ll buy him a little st Kilda flag so he can wave it. He used to hate the footy but he’s been getting into it a bit more lately.

He got his hands to a lot of them, just couldn't bring them down but at least wasn't out marked either. But he was getting to the right spots so keep that up and he will hit the scoreboard over the next few weeks.

Always seemed to be in a 2 on 1 as well, so if two defenders are following him then someone else is free so he would be doing his job.
This is the one that seems to be escaping his critics. He created the room for the others to get some clean possession and ping at the goals.
It was selfless footy and I suspect it was exactly the roll he was given.
I reckon watching actual games must be too stimulating for some people, so they just watch the stats feed instead.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but while it may be in Battles interest to play him in a set position, its clearly not in the teams best interest.

If he was the teams 2nd/3rd tall defender/forward option, that's where he would be playing. Can't play as a permanent forward in a line up that includes King Marshall and Membrey.

Struggles to find a spot in defence because its Howard, Wilkie and then one of Carlisle/Battle/Frawley/Joyce/Clavarino.

I'd stick with Darragh for a few games because of his additional height and mobility.
Height and mobility don't mean much when you are no good at football.

Dmac is a better player than he is supposedly

i remember people were ropeable on geary and wanted him gone because of his ball use when he was absolutely butchering it for a couple of seasons. he turned that around and turned into a very handy player.

dmac looks to have fixed his disposal, it's not elite like say JB or Clark, but its getting the job done. he's now got a good size, similar to Sinclair, and can run out games.

the thing we haven't seen, is his overhead game which was a bit of a highlight of his early when he started with us. i'd like to see him really get that back.

i think people are a bit too harsh on him and don't see the potential anymore that we all saw in him early on. I'm hopeful he can continue to grow and improve.

Just quietly, Battle is ~18 months younger than Joyce so if it's a question of development, scope for improvement I'd stick with Battle.

No issue with the idea of letting someone play a bunch of games strung together to see if they can nail down a spot, but to my mind it's Joyce who needs to establish himself in a hurry, not Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back