Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

After the last 18 months.

Martin Dangerfield Bont Fyfe Petracca

Maybe Neale, Boak, Cripps over there careers.

But Steele would be probably the 6th or 7th best mid in the Comp for me. Genuine star now.
Absolutely agree with you here, even ahead of Cripps I believe. Just wondering if anyone read Mark Robinsons article in the herald sun today about Mitchell from Hawthorn? He mentioned that Nathan Buckley said he accumulates a lot of the ball but doesn't hurt teams. Robinson then went on to mention about 8 to 10 other mids that are better and hurt teams more... Jack Steele never got a mention?? Is he still that underrated outside the St.Kilda bubble? Or is Slobbo just a clueless flog?

Absolutely agree with you here, even ahead of Cripps I believe. Just wondering if anyone read Mark Robinsons article in the herald sun today about Mitchell from Hawthorn? He mentioned that Nathan Buckley said he accumulates a lot of the ball but doesn't hurt teams. Robinson then went on to mention about 8 to 10 other mids that are better and hurt teams more... Jack Steele never got a mention?? Is he still that underrated outside the St.Kilda bubble? Or is Slobbo just a clueless flog?
I'd say both.

Very underrated in the media because - despite being captain - is a low profile person and didnt have the same hype behind him before he started playing at a high level. Steele does everything they say the modern A grade midfielder should do, and does it on a consistent basis.

And Slobbo is also a clueless flog.

I'd say both.

Very underrated in the media because - despite being captain - is a low profile person and didnt have the same hype behind him before he started playing at a high level. Steele does everything they say the modern A grade midfielder should do, and does it on a consistent basis.

And Slobbo is also a clueless flog.
They've been banging on about this 'striker' rubbish all year with mids who kick goals, and haven't noticed that Steele is actually doing exactly what they're talking about. Going at close to a goal a game, racking up footy on the inside and outside, tackling like a machine and leading the team. He genuinely does it all.

They've been banging on about this 'striker' rubbish all year with mids who kick goals, and haven't noticed that Steele is actually doing exactly what they're talking about. Going at close to a goal a game, racking up footy on the inside and outside, tackling like a machine and leading the team. He genuinely does it all.
He's the perfect modern midfielder. And is exactly what the media wish Cripps was.

Well to be fair to him the 12 he named have all arguably been better than Jack this year, as evidenced by the fact they all have more coaches votes:

Dusty
Bont
Petracca
Oliver
Boak
Wines
McCluggage
Macrae
Walsh
Miller
Mundy
Zerrett

Well to be fair to him the 12 he named have all arguably been better than Jack this year, as evidenced by the fact they all have more coaches votes:

Dusty
Bont
Petracca
Oliver
Boak
Wines
McCluggage
Macrae
Walsh
Miller
Mundy
Zerrett
GREAT POINT...They're a pretty cool group of players! STEELE's not lost in there by any means..by the end of the year could be easily amongst the rare air.

Dusty
Bont
Petracca
Oliver
Boak
Wines
McCluggage
Macrae
Walsh
Miller
Mundy
Zerrett

You forgot the great modern midfielder - Tom Hickey.

We've got quite a few blokes who seem to run faster when we've got the ball than when the oppo has.

Hopefully that's an age thing and that will change. We seem to need individuals to provide the spark to get the bulk of the list to put in.

tenor.gif

Dusty
Bont
Petracca
Oliver
Boak
Wines
McCluggage
Macrae
Walsh
Miller
Mundy
Zerrett

If we start winning more games and he holds his current form he's near the top and AA again

Dusty
Bont
Petracca
Oliver
Boak
Wines
McCluggage
Macrae
Walsh
Miller
Mundy
Zerrett
Simple test - which of those named would you do a DIRECT swap for Steele based solely on this years form.

Very few on that list have shown the all round capability of Steele which see's high posessions matched with marking, contested ball winning, high tackling and goal kicking capability.

Top 3 mid this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relton Roberts would be a lock at F1 if available

Dusty
Bont
Petracca
Oliver
Boak
Wines
McCluggage
Macrae
Walsh
Miller
Mundy
Zerrett

If we were 6-2 I can assure you Steele would be up there with these guys in terms of coaches votes

Simple test - which of those named would you do a DIRECT swap for Steele based solely on this years form.

Very few on that list have shown the all round capability of Steele which see's high posessions matched with marking, contested ball winning, high tackling and goal kicking capability.

Top 3 mid this year.

They are all playing amazing footy except maybe Dusty who is just about the best player in history. Nearly very one of them is having an outstanding season. Bont is playing like he wants a pay rise in his next contract. He just won that game last week when they were gone. I think that's the difference with Steel and the absolute cream of that list, when a game is there to be won guys like Bont and Petracca grab the game by the balls and give it a squeeze.

Every other aspect he's amazing at. He did it early against the GC but those memorable moments when the game is nearly done and everyone is out on their legs those alpha dogs seem to find a way. It's the champion factor that he has in him but hasn't quite got there yet.

Dusty
Bont
Petracca
Oliver
Boak
Wines
McCluggage
Macrae
Walsh
Miller
Mundy
Zerrett
I am sure if you to ask any of the coaches if they would swap the players mentioned for Steele, I am tipping that nearly half would swap. Anyway my point was I believe Steele is still underrated. The other thing to note is he plays under the pressure of being the captain unlike 95% of the others mentioned. Just my view and opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back