Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Today was his 24th game 😂

I'm not writing him off, just suggesting he needs to pick up his work rate to match his brother. It's the clubs fault for not developing him and possibly by deifying him before he's done anything. Making him our prime target up front hasn't exactly worked so far. He either doesn't lead or we tell him not to. Today they were saying that the Kings are athletes who's greatest strength is speed.....so we make him stand still and drop it on his head when he struggles to mark overhead. Regardless he'll be a good player, just hoped for him to be more than just good.

Well we play the Swans twice and WCE once more, so those three games may be vital and especially the two against the Swans.

I’m not chucking the towel in and don’t even feel pessimistic - at this stage I just have no expectations and think the realistic thing is that we miss finals from here. The bulk of our list is young and pretty inexperienced and I think this year will be massive in the teams’ development whatever happens.

If we’re sitting 6-4 this time in 2 weeks I’ll be happy to re-evaluate!

Hope you’re right
Would love to win both cats and dogs
But it’s not happening

I'm not writing them off yet, they have to get a few unexpected wins which they did last year but if they keep on winning the 50/50s for now it's a good start. Sydney could get shaky as their kids start to get banged up, WCE seem less driven these days. Heaps could change.

Not sure if he'll keep his spot though if Carlisle or Frawley are available, I'd prefer to see one of them back to take on out Hawkins and Cameron.

Suspect this is closer to what we require ... take one for the team sort of deal ...

Very happy to see Billings play so well today . He is a good outside player for guys like Crouch , Steele and even Clark to pass to . He also leads well to give our defence someone to kick to .

Well we play the Swans twice and WCE once more, so those three games may be vital and especially the two against the Swans. However as a whole our season form to date has not been top 8 form.

When I did my ladder predictor I had us beating the Swans twice, but we still don't make the top 8 and the Swans still do.

Sorry folks, I conked out and missed the game; just couldn't keep my eyes open. I will watch the highlights later.

Back to back wins, now four and four. A bit of hope for the year.
it will be a 2minute package, seriously low highlight game

Very happy to see Billings play so well today . He is a good outside player for guys like Crouch , Steele and even Clark to pass to . He also leads well to give our defence someone to kick to .

He was our best player today, apart from that one down game against Richmond when he had a foot injury he has been our best player this year.

He's the frontrunner for the Trevor Barker medal at this stage, crazy that people are talking about trading him, we need to keep him at all costs.

Next week we have two problems. One I think we need Battle to play a role on Tom Stewart. Lead him away from King. Will also keep it simple for him. The other issue who takes Cameron, I’m thinking it’ll be Wilkie which isn’t ideal. I don’t think Frawley is ready/can go with him.

Positives; Crouch and Hill had terrific games again. Bytel and in particular Byrnes are developing well.

Negatives: The bloke we seem to rely on above all others is 34 years old. King appears to have temporarily lost his mojo.

Discuss.
Most concerning thing with King is his hands. For a kid with bucket hands he drops a lot of simple marks.
The flip side of that is he still generates 4-5 shots at goal a game, so if/when he starts clunking them then look out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Credit to Billings this year, I've been pretty critical of him in the past, his mistakes have outshined his hard work at times, but this year he seems to have cut out many of those mistakes and wow he is looking good. It's so good to see him make tackles, run hard after opposition players without wasting it with a poor kick straight to opposition. He looks like a completely different player sofar this year.

Hope you’re right
Would love to win both cats and dogs
But it’s not happening

Beating the cats would be something else. I'm so tired of them making us look stupid. If we can keep a loss to Geelong by under 25 points, and at least make them earn it, I'll see it as a token measure of progress.

I reckon before the season most of us would of had us sitting at 4-4, possibly 5-3 after eight rounds. As shocking as we have looked at times we aren't too far off record wise which is a minor miracle but a good base to build off for the rest of the season! Percentage the obvious issue, can't afford a thumping on Friday night!
We have such a tough draw though, that we have to snatch a couple of wins against the top teams to play into September. So lets set our sights on Geelong.

From here on we play Geelong, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Richmond, Collingwood, Lions (at the gabba), Port Adelaide, West Coast (at Optus), Carlton, Sydney (at the SCG), Geelong (at Kardinya) & Fremantle.

I'm finding it hard enough to pencil in 6 more wins on our current form, and 10 wins won't get us in to the top 8, especially with our current percentage.

We need to sneak in a win against Geelong this week, smack the Dogs in the elimination final rematch, pinch a win against the Tigers when we are coming off the bye and they're flying back from Perth, and beat Sydney twice.

Agree with this, I look at the ladder and don’t see which out of these sides we can replace:

View attachment 1121992

Maybe if Sydney capitulate or WCE keep stuffing up (but I think they have too good a list to stay inconsistent).

Then it takes one of these things AND us being in good enough form consistently to win enough games with a tough draw.

We play Sydney twice, if we beat them both times and win a good share of other games then we’ll be in for them.

Surely a lot of our shitness today was due to the conditions. Dropped mark after mark early, and fumbled a heap, which you’d think must have had something to do with sweaty hands from the heat.

We don’t normally drop regulation mark after regulation mark like that.

Conditions were absolutely perfect 24C, blue sky, dry conditions After the game the hundreds of kids on the ground were marking cleanly and seemed to have no trouble with the conditions

I was at the ground and we were lucky they weren’t clean enough to put us away.

Happy to get the win but we have work to do on consistent effort.

Coffield isnt AfL standard at the moment. Looks unfit and slow. Was 5-10m from where he needed to be to often.

Coffield was shockingly slow He may not be a speedster, but surely there is something wrong with him Chasing he did not make up ground on anyone including the girls carrying the water bottles

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back