Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I don’t think most posters are being too harsh on Ming.

My expectations are fairly modest, I want him to lead and use his pace. I want him to mark the ball when he should for example dropping uncontested marks is just not good enough. I want him to have a goal kicking routine and to stick with it and kick for goal like he wants the ball in his hands.

Imo that’s a pretty reasonable list of expectations, if he can meet those the rest of his game will follow.

I thonk 2 of those 3 things should be easy to fix but im unsure leading comes naturally to King. He seems to fing it hard to find space. Probably never had to lead in his life until AFL footy. I think that could be a longer term project. Im pretty sure that is why Marshall leads out more. Seems to come much more naturally to him.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t think most posters are being too harsh on Ming.

My expectations are fairly modest, I want him to lead and use his pace. I want him to mark the ball when he should for example dropping uncontested marks is just not good enough. I want him to have a goal kicking routine and to stick with it and kick for goal like he wants the ball in his hands.

Imo that’s a pretty reasonable list of expectations, if he can meet those the rest of his game will follow.
No doubt he should be holding more marks and kicking those easy goals. Especially his kicking because that has nothing to do with his opponents being stronger or more experienced than him.

More so, I mean calls for him to be dropped if he doesn't dominate or saying he is a disappointment compared to his brother or his peers are a bit premature at this stage. He is still a young, developing key forward who at this stage of his career is going to have more down games than he has dominate games.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
First things first next week.

Geelong will do the keepings off slow ball thing again.

Reckon we will do a damn thing different?

Yes definitely.
To me it is very obvious in the last 2 weeks we are now playing a totally different game style to what we have been last year and this year (up until a fortnight ago.)

We are now playing keepings off too.

The hawks put us under no pressure, so our skills looked great.
The suns put us under decent pressure and our skills looked average.

The cats will put us under high pressure, so it will be a good test.

Been told today won’t play next game

Mckernan won't be terrible as second banana to ryder.

Roma out is a big loss, but not terminal to our chances as mckernan isn't totally useless so long as he isn't being played as a number 1 ruck.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
some of our skills- particularly the dropped marks were bad, but I am very happy we won this game. we have had a terrible start to the season and the team is down on confidence so a win interstate against an ok team is hopefully a big confidence booster for them

good to see Jones and Hill back up their good games last week.

Looked like Wilkie's best game of the year as well.

What a star captain Jack Steele is. Just gets it done every week and hitting the scoreboard as well.

fairly good team effort. Butler is still in some bad form tho, may be good for him to find some form in the 2s. Not too many options to come in for him tho,

King just needs to get out of his own head. He should have had 2 or 3 yesterday. Will be a star.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Yes definitely.
To me it is very obvious in the last 2 weeks we are now playing a totally different game style to what we have been last year and this year (up until a fortnight ago.)

We are now playing keepings off too.

The hawks put us under no pressure, so our skills looked great.
The suns put us under decent pressure and our skills looked average.

The cats will put us under high pressure, so it will be a good test.

Mckernan won't be terrible as second banana to ryder.

Roma out is a big loss, but not terminal to our chances as mckernan isn't totally useless so long as he isn't being played as a number 1 ruck.
Why is Marshall out? Limping after a game would mean 8 injuries a week. I had players live with me that were in moon boots until the Wednesday before a game. Marshall was doing weights today.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why is Marshall out? Limping after a game would mean 8 injuries a week. I had players live with me that were in moon boots until the Wednesday before a game. Marshall was doing weights today.
Did you say hi?

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Coaches Votes

8 - Jack Steele (STK)
8 - Jack Billings (STK)
6 - Touk Miller (GCFC)
5 - Brad Crouch (STK)
2 - David Swallow (GCFC)
1 - Wil Powell (GCFC)

Interesting mix here.

Guessing it breaks down something like this
5 - Steele
4 - Miller
3 - Billings
2 - Swallow
1 - Crouch

5 - Billings
4 - Crouch
3 - Steele
2 - Miller
1 - Powell

LiterallyNobody

30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Coaches votes have been released - Steele and Billings sharing the honours for St Kilda. Gunna have a crack like I always do at who went what.

Steele 8
Billings 8
Miller 6
Crouch 5
Swallow 2
Powell 1

This says that one coach gave Powell one vote and the other had to have given Swallow 2 - think it's more likely that Ratts gave four St Kilda players a vote and one Sun than three and two. Both obviously gave votes to Steele Billings and Miller.

My take:

Ratts
5 - Billings
4 - Crouch
3 - Steele
2 Miller
1 Powell

Dew
5 - Steele
4 - Miller
3 - Billings
2 - Swallow
1 - Crouch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel like Ratts would've given more to Billings because he understands the importance of the role he played and Dew would've given more to Miller because you always have a bit more of an understanding of your own players. The rest is just basic logic and mathematics.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm impressed we both gave the votes out the exact same way considering there is a few iterations they go could.

I feel like Ratts would've given more to Billings because he understands the importance of the role he played and Dew would've given more to Miller because you always have a bit more of an understanding of your own players. The rest is just basic logic and mathematics.
Agreed. Ratts also singled out JB in either his press conference or coaches video (cant remember which) which implies he gave him best on rather than Steele.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
No doubt he should be holding more marks and kicking those easy goals. Especially his kicking because that has nothing to do with his opponents being stronger or more experienced than him.

More so, I mean calls for him to be dropped if he doesn't dominate or saying he is a disappointment compared to his brother or his peers are a bit premature at this stage. He is still a young, developing key forward who at this stage of his career is going to have more down games than he has dominate games.
He’s already shown glimpses of what he hopefully will be a bit like Clark in his first year, that should get people excited.

I do think that the key to unlocking his potential is getting the basics right. He seems to be the type who can’t let go of the last mistake, it gets in his head. I don’t see any point in dropping him or comparing him to others, he’ll get better every game we just need to relax and enjoy the ride.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’s already shown glimpses of what he hopefully will be a bit like Clark in his first year, that should get people excited.

I do think that the key to unlocking his potential is getting the basics right. He seems to be the type who can’t let go of the last mistake, it gets in his head. I don’t see any point in dropping him or comparing him to others, he’ll get better every game we just need to relax and enjoy the ride.
I don't think he is playing any better this year. He is not a FF and needs to be played up the ground as he has agility and can be a better marking option while is in space.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clark reminds me of Hodge a bit, in the way he stands up in big games/quarters. Unless we decide to play him as a permanent midfielder, I don't see him winning a bunch of B&Fs, but he's the type of player that will win us games. He is just so incredibly composed. Playing some really good footy.

Membrey had a poor day mostly, but his last quarter was outstanding. Five important marks. Looking forward to seeing him kick his 200th.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I don't think he is playing any better this year. He is not a FF and needs to be played up the ground as he has agility and can be a better marking option while is in space.
He was drafted as a full forward and looks like a full forward to me. I’ve seen nothing of skills need to be better up the ground.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm impressed we both gave the votes out the exact same way considering there is a few iterations they go could.

Agreed. Ratts also singled out JB in either his press conference or coaches video (cant remember which) which implies he gave him best on rather than Steele.
Not to mention Dewy would have noticed Steele more than Billings because of the type of players they are.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Williams and Crouch were an interesting comparison last year as trading options. Crouch playing some really good footy and getting better each week. Williams on the other hand is playing garbage footy and the Blues seem confused about what position to play him in. Has an enormous contract so it'll be interesting to see how he goes. I thought he would be good as a permanent midfielder, but he is a mile off it at the moment.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Clark reminds me of Hodge a bit, in the way he stands up in big games/quarters. Unless we decide to play him as a permanent midfielder, I don't see him winning a bunch of B&Fs, but he's the type of player that will win us games. He is just so incredibly composed. Playing some really good footy.

Membrey had a poor day mostly, but his last quarter was outstanding. Five important marks. Looking forward to seeing him kick his 200th.

I have mentioned it before, Clark reminds me of Stephen Powell in the way that he goes at one pace that is not electric but quick enough, at minute one of the first qtr to the last minute of the 4th.

This is the reason he seems to step up in last quarters, the pressure is a bit down due to fatigue and he has even more space than usual to work his magic.

Like Lenny is an endurance beast.

Agree with this, I look at the ladder and don’t see which out of these sides we can replace:

View attachment 1121992

Maybe if Sydney capitulate or WCE keep stuffing up (but I think they have too good a list to stay inconsistent).

Then it takes one of these things AND us being in good enough form consistently to win enough games with a tough draw.

We don’t have to worry about who we replace. We win 13+ games and there won’t be 8 teams above us.

Williams and Crouch were an interesting comparison last year as trading options. Crouch playing some really good footy and getting better each week. Williams on the other hand is playing garbage footy and the Blues seem confused about what position to play him in. Has an enormous contract so it'll be interesting to see how he goes. I thought he would be good as a permanent midfielder, but he is a mile off it at the moment.

They took a guy who is a rebound back man to use as a prime mover mid to help Cripps, Walsh has stepped up and made him a confusion of sorts. Carlton doing weird trade deals is just what they do. He's going okay at times just injury and lack of a defined role hold him back IMO.

Crouch has been an injury plagued inconsistent mid most of his career who when he gets it right is a ball magnet. At the moment Crouch looks way out in front and he was ideal for what we wanted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back