Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I have mentioned it before, Clark reminds me of Stephen Powell in the way that he goes at one pace that is not electric but quick enough, at minute one of the first qtr to the last minute of the 4th.

This is the reason he seems to step up in last quarters, the pressure is a bit down due to fatigue and he has even more space than usual to work his magic.

Like Lenny is an endurance beast.

Hunts is as slow as an iceberg but seems to lumber to the right spot every time. It goes to show how smart he is that he's rarely exposed in defence despite moving like a glacier. Yes nerds, I know that climate change is melting them quickly and that it's a s**t analogy.

They took a guy who is a rebound back man to use as a prime mover mid to help Cripps, Walsh has stepped up and made him a confusion of sorts. Carlton doing weird trade deals is just what they do. He's going okay at times just injury and lack of a defined role hold him back IMO.

Crouch has been an injury plagued inconsistent mid most of his career who when he gets it right is a ball magnet. At the moment Crouch looks way out in front and he was ideal for what we wanted.
Even though he has been a half back for most of his career, he still has been below what I expected as a midfielder. His form in the second half of 2019 as a midfielder was well above what he's putting out now. As you say, Crouch has been ideal for us. The load on Steele is reduced if Crouch can get plenty of footy every week. It is very nice to be on the right end of a free agency move.

Hunts is as slow as an iceberg but seems to lumber to the right spot every time. It goes to show how smart he is that he's rarely exposed in defence despite moving like a glacier. Yes nerds, I know that climate change is melting them quickly and that it's a sh*t analogy.
Why do you always bag our players? Clark is not quick but far from a plodder like you make out.
Go back and look at his last goal v Hawks, and get off his back. One of our shining stars and all you can do is throw shade.

He was drafted as a full forward and looks like a full forward to me. I’ve seen nothing of skills need to be better up the ground.
Probably versatile enough to play chf and ruck eventually but ff is the best spot for him at present.

I wouldn’t imagine he’ll be asked to play anywhere else if he comes on as expected.

Even though he has been a half back for most of his career, he still has been below what I expected as a midfielder. His form in the second half of 2019 as a midfielder was well above what he's putting out now. As you say, Crouch has been ideal for us. The load on Steele is reduced if Crouch can get plenty of footy every week. It is very nice to be on the right end of a free agency move.
Plus Crouch is tough and we need tough

Blood & guts win!!1, is that rude???
Now for next week.
Ins: Carlisle & Frawley, depending on how they go in the magoo's. Ross in for Bytel, who is stiff, but coming along nicely.
Battle stays in the team forever.
Outs: Bytel, Joyce, Wood
Oh just realised, Sandy had a bye, makes selection this week difficult. Ins: Freeman & Ross

Coaches Votes

8 - Jack Steele (STK)
8 - Jack Billings (STK)
6 - Touk Miller (GCFC)
5 - Brad Crouch (STK)
2 - David Swallow (GCFC)
1 - Wil Powell (GCFC)

Takes it to:

20 - Steele (4)
13 - Billings (2)
12 - Crouch (3)
10 - Jones, Membrey
7 - Hill
6 - Gresham, Sinclair
4 - King, Ross (2)
3 - Clark (2)
2 - Marshall

Steele getting votes in half the games so far is probably expected but also good.

Why do you always bag our players? Clark is not quick but far from a plodder like you make out.
Go back and look at his last goal v Hawks, and get off his back. One of our shining stars and all you can do is throw shade.

I watch him, he's slower than most.......but I think he's a future superstar. It's a limitation but not a liability, I'm not bagging him. I reckon Sam Mitchell was just about my favourite Hawk, the guy moved like treacle but had a footy brain. He was elite because of it. Hunter has the best hands of anyone at St Kilda for 20+ years and disposal not far behind that. I couldn't rate him any higher as a player and think he's probably our next elite talent, I just think he moves really slowly when he runs, he has a flat footed gait and seems to thump across the park. It hasn't limited his effectiveness at all. Like a blind man with exceptional taste buds, Hunts has super touch.

I watch him, he's slower than most.......but I think he's a future superstar. It's a limitation but not a liability, I'm not bagging him. I reckon Sam Mitchell was just about my favourite Hawk, the guy moved like treacle but had a footy brain. He was elite because of it. Hunter has the best hands of anyone at St Kilda for 20+ years and disposal not far behind that. I couldn't rate him any higher as a player and think he's probably our next elite talent, I just think he moves really slowly when he runs, he has a flat footed gait and seems to thump across the park. It hasn't limited his effectiveness at all. Like a blind man with exceptional taste buds, Hunts has super touch.

I’ve seen Hunter move quicker at times.

He seems to be like a variable speed drill. With his high footy IQ and exquisite skill set he only ever seems to move as fast as he needs to in any particular situation.

Smart footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark glides like Pendlebury. Not overly quick by feet but quick by mind. Matrix.
Watched the last half this afternoon with my daughter and both were amazed in the last quarter how Clark looked like he was walking and everyone else was going at 1000miles but couldn't touch him. He knows what they are going to do before they know what they are going to do

I think we need to stop comparing Max to Ben - and we are all guilty of it - especially since they are at different points of their development right now. Max essentially missed 2 years of football with his injuries while Ben was developing and improving his game that entire time. And it is always said that it takes around 50 games for young players to find consistency in their games - Max is only half way to that mark while Ben should hit it this year.

Naughton looks really good but he is still developing and having bad moments in games too, we just don't dwell on them as opposition supporters the way we do with King. He's also someone 60 games into his career and played senior football in the WAFL before being drafted so naturally he's going to be more confident at AFL level.

As much as we all want Max to come out and be the most dominant young player in the comp right now, we just need to keep be patient with him and stop judging him so harshly.
Why did we take max over ben though? Knowing he had missed a year and would miss most of another?

Hunts is as slow as an iceberg but seems to lumber to the right spot every time. It goes to show how smart he is that he's rarely exposed in defence despite moving like a glacier. Yes nerds, I know that climate change is melting them quickly and that it's a sh*t analogy.
That's almost as dumb as someone saying a player is slower than a moving planet.

Clark is very deceptive looking.

He looks slow but he’s so good at sending opponents the wrong way.
He looks skinny, but he stands up in a tackle and usually gets the ball out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back