Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Done like a man who's been in contested situations millions of times, almost looks bored lol

His kicking on both sides of the body is such a weapon, not just his deisposal and ability to open up the ground but because the opposition knows he is two sided, so they try to cover off the left foot so he can feign a disposal on that and move on to his right, obviously this gives him more time and space on situations like this.

Dal was also quite quick tho. Unlike Pendles who is slow but just bends time around him like a black hole or something.
I don’t think Clark is slow and I wouldn’t say Pendlebury is either.

I think they both exhibit traits that make them exceptional players, it’s like watching a great five eight in rugby or Connor McGregor fight. I couldn’t tell you if they were born with it, developed it or more likely a combination of both but they have it.

It‘s great vision and quick reflexes, an understanding that even one additional stimuli slows reaction time. It’s understanding that when a player commits his body weight and moves he‘s out of the contest as effectively as if he’d fallen over. That’s what these players have and it’s why they make it look like time slows down and it’s fascinating to watch.

I‘m very impressed with Clark and he’s the classic example of why recruiting staff need to watch games not just look at stats and testing times.

I think they both exhibit traits that make them exceptional players, it’s like watching a great five eight in rugby or Connor McGregor fight. I couldn’t tell you if they were born with it, developed it or more likely a combination of both but they have it.

It‘s great vision and quick reflexes, an understanding that even one additional stimuli slows reaction time. It’s understanding that when a player commits his body weight and moves he‘s out of the contest as effectively as if he’d fallen over. That’s what these players have and it’s why they make it look like time slows down and it’s fascinating to watch.

I‘m very impressed with Clark and he’s the classic example of why recruiting staff need to watch games not just look at stats and testing times.
Yep all of everyone's love for the Hunter and Collector.......I hope he's reproducing right now....no blanks, no protection just more Hunter Cl. baby boys! A sextuplet of HC.... should do the trick for 2039/2040 draft.
Actually now you come to mention it a Connor McGregor wouldn't go down badly in the midfield either

Last edited:

Joey Johns looked slow as a wet week, but was a monumental five eight, one pass off the ruck his body positioning and use of his passing ability broke up many a defensive formation and pattern. Always thought Laurie Daly would have made a great mid in our game.

it is an optical allusion with this types of players. Think it was yabby who used to say these players were good drivers in heavy traffic.

He's kind of not quick enough for an outside winger where he could use his elite distribution and too adaptable to use as an inside mid when we have a few guys who are one position players despite his better ball winning abilities. He's good in defence because he cuts open the field but sort of wasted there as well. We basically need to clone him.

I think you're overstating Hunts' lack of pace.

He just goes as quickly as he needs to go.

No but like anything it gives you something to work with. I could do some other teams to see how we stack up. I might do the dees, dogs and tigers and see what I get. But later. Cbf now
Okay here’s some more:

Richmond

1 - 1

2 - 4

3 - 9

4 - 4

5 - 2

6 - 5

7 - 2

8 - 8

Total - 35 (ave 4.38)

Melbourne

1 - 3

2 - 3

3 - 3

4 - 3

5 - 4

6 - 1

7 - 4

8 - 3

Total - 24 (ave 3)

Bulldogs

1 - 2

2 - 8

3 - 1

4 - 3

5 - 4

6 - 4

7 - 5

8 - 4

Total - 31 (3.88)

And one to make us feel a bit better:

Carlton

1 - 9

2 - 6

3 - 4

4 - 2

5 - 7

6 - 6

7 - 8

8 - 6

48 - ave 6

Done like a man who's been in contested situations millions of times, almost looks bored lol

The reason he is able to do this so effortlessly is because of how natural he is on both feet. A lot of players these days can kick very well on both feet, but it usually takes a lot more concerted effort to kick on the non-preferred, like they have to very deliberately tell their brain that it needs to switch hands, switch feet, etc. Clark though looks to be just as comfortable on both sides in such a way (like in that video) that he can go from foot to foot off one tiny step while in cruise control.

Yep all of everyone's love for the Hunter and Collector.......I hope he's reproducing right now....no blanks, no protection just more Hunter Cl. baby boys! A sextuplet of HC.... should do the trick for 2039/2040 draft.
Actually now you come to mention it a Connor McGregor wouldn't go down badly in the midfield either
Incredible reaction times and long arms, the guy is 173cm and has a 188cm wingspam.

Often something usual about the really great ones, Michael Phelps long torso and short legs with double jointed ankles and half the lactic acid of most of his competitors.

Yeah that would be nice a few mini hunter Clark’s, the AFL will probably change the rules if nick Riewoldt‘s boys are any good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're overstating Hunts' lack of pace.

He just goes as quickly as he needs to go.

Watching live if there is a race to get back to defence he looks the slowest defender we have. It could be fitness and he just blows up and slows down to save himself for next time but I've noticed it regularly. He can't cover ground quickly but in traffic his mind is quicker than anyone else in his vicinity and he seems to know which way players will go before they do. He's not incapable of bursts of pace but doesn't seem to sustain it. As I said it's not something that seems like a liability, he seems to be able to use other tricks.

Watching live if there is a race to get back to defence he looks the slowest defender we have. It could be fitness and he just blows up and slows down to save himself for next time but I've noticed it regularly. He can't cover ground quickly but in traffic his mind is quicker than anyone else in his vicinity and he seems to know which way players will go before they do. He's not incapable of bursts of pace but doesn't seem to sustain it. As I said it's not something that seems like a liability, he seems to be able to use other tricks.
Yeah, spud, delist. Lets recruit Ushain Bolt.

Funny how you infer Clark is lazy and unfit but shines in 4th quarters. Must not try the first three.

I’m probably starting to bang on about this a bit now but watch him with the ball rather than without it. I agree he’s super slow when he has to chase someone but if he’s got the ball he can accelerate away.

I agree he’s super slow when he has to chase someone
We must have different interpretations of ‘super slow’

E6chYJm.gif

Good example was the Port game where i think Motlop burnt him off running hard back into the 50. He is young and his tank will get better as will his defensive running. All the top midfielders run hard both ways

Maybe not him, but most likely Battle (who would then request a trade) and of course we almost certainly wouldn’t have Jones. And our current midfield would be treacle-slow as a result.

Yep. I’m not getting stuck with “what if’s” because in the short term Bruce appears to be doing well for the dogs.

Any chance we could just focus on the positives of the things he CAN and DOES do and the star he is going to be with a couple more years under the belt?
You and the “dude” are doing my head in at the moment.

The doom and gloom twins.

Yeah, spud, delist. Lets recruit Ushain Bolt.

Funny how you infer Clark is lazy and unfit but shines in 4th quarters. Must not try the first three.

Sorry, where did I say lazy or unfit? You must really miss Twitter, you can get properly outraged over there. He's a great player but I don't have to pretend he's the second coming of Jesus do I? Surely we're allowed to have a grown up discussion about players.

Any chance we could just focus on the positives of the things he CAN and DOES do and the star he is going to be with a couple more years under the belt?
You and the “dude” are doing my head in at the moment.

The doom and gloom twins.

WTF? What am I doing, I was being positive about him and people have tried to make a drama out of nothing. Alright, he's super fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back