Review Round 8 2021 - GWS Giants v Essendon Bombers, 2.10 pm @ Giants Stadium, Sat 8 May

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Reading the thread, it did prompt a memory - I'm so glad they didn't play Guelfi for the whole game. One thing we're really lacking is space and he could have destroyed us, and almost did in his cameo.

Essendon really does have some promising younger players. They've gotten rid of a lot of dead wood, they've suffered through some admittedly self-inflicted pain, but they could easily be quite a scary team in a year or two. Most of the guys that impressed me out there were newbies while guys like Heppell and Merrett didn't so much.

Couldn’t help but think the medical sub rule can heavily disadvantage a team if they don’t have an injury during the game. The dons didn’t do anything wrong but they get a fresh set of legs that mad a fair difference to the game

Happy to take the points.
Classic inexperienced team. Switch off at points, but we got the win so that is the main thing.
Sam Taylor is a ripper, is an amazing player.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
He turned it over an awful lot early.
His stats show 82% efficiency - 23 out of 28 effective, only 3 clangers of which 1 was a free against (a debatable incorrect disposal) and I can't actually recall too many going astray. I think the description of ''an awful lot'' is a little colourful.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Couldn’t help but think the medical sub rule can heavily disadvantage a team if they don’t have an injury during the game. The dons didn’t do anything wrong but they get a fresh set of legs that mad a fair difference to the game
I think it should be a medical sub only for first 3 qtrs, after that whenever you like. It means the 23rd man is definitely getting some game time, a good way to give young players are taste of the game up against tired players, rather than them having to play a full game. The bulldogs for example would probably have already played jamarra Ugle-Hagan in this role.

Last edited:
His stats show 82% efficiency - 23 out of 28 effective, only 3 clangers of which 1 was a free against (a debatable incorrect disposal) and I can't actually recall too many going astray. I think the description of ''an awful lot'' is a little colourful.
My memory might be playing tricks. Those stats don't match how I felt. But it felt a number of times he took the wrong option and turned it over.
One turned our attack to their goal
When I rewatch, less emotional I may change my mind.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
My memory might be playing tricks. Those stats don't match how I felt. But it felt a number of times he took the wrong option and turned it over.
One turned our attack to their goal
When I rewatch, less emotional I may change my mind.
I am going to have to rewatch it (or at least his highlights on AFL stats), because I thought he was his usual composed self. Occasional errors, sure, but generally better choices than most of the more experienced mids.

I am going to have to rewatch it (or at least his highlights on AFL stats), because I thought he was his usual composed self. Occasional errors, sure, but generally better choices than most of the more experienced mids.
On reflection, it'll Probably end being in the middle of how we saw it first time up.

Surely the trade off is having the 23rd choice player in the game instead of (on average) the 11th. Surely, fresh legs might be handy, but Essendon would've rathered a full game of Springer I'm sure.

Surely the trade off is having the 23rd choice player in the game instead of (on average) the 11th. Surely, fresh legs might be handy, but Essendon would've rathered a full game of Springer I'm sure.
The sub feels like an advantage when they enter the game late.
Fresh legs seem to outweigh the ability gap.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
A couple of weeks after a shoulder dislocation, the trainers also left XOH's shoulder taping flapping around for a good half quarter (his shocking 2nd quarter) before finally getting him off to retape it - they would really have copped it if he redislocated that shoulder during that time
It wasn’t a shoulder dislocation

X ran almost 16ks today

seriously undervalued player imo
His effort is absolutely there. Could definitely be a good wing.

Yesterday just about every decision and execution was poor though. :(

Hard to argue with.
The "if he played for a Victorian club" is the biggest concession that all clubs aren't equal in the eyes of the media there is

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Trust me it cuts both ways when we watch NRL 360 and the likes of Paul Kent and their (openly voiced) disdain of the Storm

Yep, but the AFL talks up how national it is and I couldn’t care less how the NRL treat their clubs as this shouldn’t be about “what aboutism”.
This is about how the Australian game that is the true national (mainland) competition has a media that is Victorian centric.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
360 and The Couch are simply begging for generational and geographic change.

It reminds me of the final days of Channel 9 cricket commentary with Bill Larry banging on about the good old days and pitching at a retirees audience.

Just unwatchable and increasingly irrelevant to anyone who’s not over 60 and living within 10 kms of Flinders St station.

In 3 years time is should be a national panel show with Nick Riewoldt, our Phil and their equivalents from each of the other states.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back