Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Hawks stretched by Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is concerning when you look at the shower of sh*te in the seniors.
You would only be playing them on talent and not performance. Brockman starved of opportunities but did well otherwise. He will be back. And I’d bring in Downie because we absolutely need his speed and skill and he will be better off in the ones. But as I said, this was one week and given the best talent we drafted in both drafts is injured I don’t know why it is such a concern.

Hawk of ages

Debutant
Jan 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From 04-06 we brought in 17 players via the national draft. The other draft that was a big contributor was 01 when we took 6 players. That’s 23 players in 4 drafts, including 9 first rounders and 7 second rounders. We hit the draft hard to maximise our chances of a successful rebuild. That is how we rebuilt the list. Not by simply taking the 3 or 4 picks we are dealt each year by way of our finishing position. We were bold at the trade table and it reaped the richest of dividends.

whilst I agree we need to bring in high end young talent, hitting the draft big time isn’t neccessarily the answer. The example you’ve given talks about the 04-06 drafts being responsible for our golden run. We won 08 in spite of the 05/06 drafts, not because of them.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
whilst I agree we need to bring in high end young talent, hitting the draft big time isn’t neccessarily the answer. The example you’ve given talks about the 04-06 drafts being responsible for our golden run. We won 08 in spite of the 05/06 drafts, not because of them.

Yeah we butchered a bit with the picks we had in those drafts, although Ellis and Birchall were still both big parts of a back 6 that won the flag in 2008.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn

In spite of is definitely the wrong term mate. We don't win in 08 without Buddy and Rough and Lewis and Birchall.

The more high picks you have the more you can handle missing on some. And miss we will. That's the reality to it. History tells us that.

We have hit with Day, we don't yet know with Grainger-Barrass. If we continue to just take our draft hand each year, one first round pick, we simply cannot miss any. If we miss one or two, it simply prolongs our rebuild.

Hitting the draft is critical. Yes there were other ingredients to success, trades and free agency, but the dynasties of us, Geelong and now Richmond were built on early picks. Having top end, elite, talent is probably going to be a factor in free agency moving forward for us.

It's just super important. I hope we are bold and get another top 10 pick this year.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In spite of is definitely the wrong term mate. We don't win in 08 without Buddy and Rough and Lewis and Birchall.

The more high picks you have the more you can handle missing on some. And miss we will. That's the reality to it. History tells us that.

We have hit with Day, we don't yet know with Grainger-Barrass. If we continue to just take our draft hand each year, one first round pick, we simply cannot miss any. If we miss one or two, it simply prolongs our rebuild.

Hitting the draft is critical. Yes there were other ingredients to success, trades and free agency, but the dynasties of us, Geelong and now Richmond were built on early picks. Having top end, elite, talent is probably going to be a factor in free agency moving forward for us.

It's just super important. I hope we are bold and get another top 10 pick this year.
We only took one of the players you mentioned in the 05/06 drafts 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back