Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Hawks stretched by Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

it was a better showing than last week but about as expected

the most disappointing part for me was the inability to lock it in the fwd line, our setup from kick-ins was particularly woeful. For an Alastair Clarkson-coached team that is quite odd and he will be very upset about that I'm sure

our skill with ball in hand is bad as it has been all year. Not much else to say there. Few blokes nearing the end of their tenure in the team.

We had 20 shots on goal so that was a positive. Worpel good. Tom Mitchell was using the ball the best I've seen since 2018, and Impey probably BOG. Always good things you gotta look out for in games like these or else it's just gonna be a painful, painful year.

Lewis was quite promising too today, impacted a lot of contests and took a couple of great marks. I can see why they wanted to give Moore a rest, was uninvolved for most of the game, unfortunately.

BUT my favourite part of the day was Scrimshaw's last quarter. He was put in the mids, and wasn't just in for the sake of ithe looked quite good

Probably went as good as I thought they would. Too many players have poor football iq, bad disposal skills and low strength (see it every week - can’t stick a tackle and the opposition just cruise through masses of Hawthorn players).

Thread title should say Hawks beaten by WAFL side they had that many out.
Last year was not an anomaly and just us not coping with Hub life.

We are actually a really poor side.

We’re bereft of confidence and the skill level has completely fallen away..

West Coast looked pretty average but still dealt with us easily... if we played anyone decent would have been a 10 goal loss..

Just about as bad as it gets right now, we’re not competitive and need to find a way to turn it around, simple as that

Kelly, Nic Nat, Darling, Gaff, Kennedy... They are still a good team even with the outs.

We know where we are at

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same old stuff. Lack skills badly in the midfield. Lack pressure forward. There’s currently too much variance in the performance of our young tall forwards.

The thing that’s worrying is the cupboard is bare. Nobody at BH except arguably Brockman is performing. With our senior players declining badly and our youth underperforming it’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Comfortably beaten by a side that is a lot better than us. I don’t even think the Eagles’ effort was great but it didn’t need to be.

We will have plenty of games like this. Not much to like. Mitchell was good. CJ, Impey Worpel, Lewis ok.

On what I saw of Box Hill yesterday the cupboard is bare. Brockman the only player there who looked AFL standard.

8 goals in the perfect sunshine....2 of which were Worps late ones when the game was just fizzing out to its conclusion.

Not going to put ourselves in many winning positions despite how respectable we keep the final margins if we can't find a way to apply some scoreboard pressure.

We didnt have that many out ???

Day and Sicily are our best defenders, Gunston is our best forward, JOM is our best midfielder.

Last year was a completely different side to be honest. Smith, Henderson, Scully, Gunston, Sicily, Day would all makes us a much better side right now.

Eagles can cover there outs because they still have class on every line, that we don't.

They're gunning for Top 4, we're trying to get out of the bottom 4.

A side with Frost, Hartigan and Hartley as the final line of defense is always going to be troubled.

When we get some class and composure back in Sicily and Day, hopefully DGB comes good, and we'll turn the ball over less and suffer fewer blowouts

Thought Chad and Ollie put in some big efforts early, and Worpel looked great at times, and wasn't alone with some bad kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back