Autopsy Round 8, 2021: Hawks stretched by Eagles

You’re not that same poster who creates a new account every so often just to post about how bad you think Chad is are you?

Rhetorical question, btw.
I had the same thought. Prompted that famous riddle, what has no brains and hates chads?

I actually think for some reason the club are burning chad. So many times he is clear and running and they ignore him. Hanrahan kicked a behind today on his wrong foot when chad was in the clear running towards goal on his left. He was completely ignored. Tis has been a feature all year. (got sick of not posting.)

Thread title should say Hawks beaten by WAFL side they had that many out.
Last year was not an anomaly and just us not coping with Hub life.

We are actually a really poor side.

We are having a Bulldogs style hangover, Hawthorn has hub life hang over! :p

Last edited:

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree but then the cats have been up for 15 years so not always the case
I just think we have made some really crap decisions
Hard to compare. Cats have had some lean periods over those 15 years as well but certainly not as low as what we’re experiencing now. But they didn’t play 4 GFs in a row and 3 peat either, which resulted in slim pickings across draft and targeting top up players which worked remarkably well for us. So which team made better decisions? I’m sure we’d agree which team we’d rather be. Now we need to show some patience and let Hawthorn do what they do best and that is winning premierships. Our time will come again.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So the players are doing what they are asked to do and Clarko is screaming about it in the coaches box? Yeah, nah, sounds like bullshit. Players stop taking risks when the players upfield are static and not giving them something to kick to. Have you seen our forward line? A handful of games between them and they regularly get caught out of position.

We got the ball out of defence cleanly time and time again and when we did that the forwards were playing behind or late to the party. We are clearly trying to open up the ground by switching and then go in board to a runner. We get runners going by regularly but often they have an opponent or the timing is off and it is too soon or too late. Why would we have runners going past at all if the desire is to chip our way forward?

We haven’t had a leading forward in a long time so let’s call it honestly

our game style for years has been about slow ball movement grind and slog and then bomb it on a players head. For a couple of years that player was a 5ft 6 Poppy.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now thats laughable the players are doing what clarko wants and because they were Clarko was going apeshit in the coaches box. Its really funny. I am still laughing as i type this

What part are you struggling with?

The game plan is appalling. The first 45 minutes today was diabolical. Backwards, sideways, backwards chip chip chip chip.

If we are coaching that rubbish or that is our game style we need some changes fast.

The Cats are a special embrassé sur la bite case. First they ended up with Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins as father sons.

Then they had Dangerfield wanting to come home which led to there come home strategy (Rohan, Henderson, Dalhaus, Higgins)

Finally the BS of getting Tim Kelly at pick 24 and him becoming an all Australian in his first year then wanting to go home and them demanding two firsts - allowing them to get Cameron.

with all that they haven't won a flag in a decade - and they have never been as complete as they were 2009-2011 with those great draft years where they loaded up with talent and developed it themselves.

But you are right we have botched picks in the early 20's (Lovell, Hartung) - we just have to absolutely nail those picks in the 20's this year and at some stage gamble we are going to get better and trade in a first round pick for a future first. But the most important thing is making sure those picks are guns. Sydney and Melbourne both show the value of nailing those picks with players good enough to make an impact off the bat (if they take time to develop then you are going to be at the bottom end of the ladder for longer but the payout will still be worth it - its just no one here has any patience). We also badly need a ruckman who at least stands up in games. I love McEvoy's leadership but I worry about him from next year on - I you look at Nankervis and Hickey these are journeymen rucks who go in hard, give their midfield the best opportunity and who physically hurt players (which is hard to do in this day and age but I reckon you would be weary of Nankervis in particular) This will be a crucial draft period coming up and it will be just as important that we keep the right players some of those guys everyone bangs on about delisting are going to make it and some aren't - need to keep the right ones

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now thats laughable the players are doing what clarko wants and because they were Clarko was going apeshit in the coaches box. Its really funny. I am still laughing as i type this

We are top 6 for average possessions per game, yet bottom 2 for scoring and inside 50s...

Eight round sample, that's a coaching directive with how we want to move the ball. Mostly so we can set up behind the ball when it rebounds. Somewhat honourable losses, brutal on the eyes.

The only time our players are allowed to take the game on is when we are pushing s**t up hill. So they can do it... when allowed.

Last edited:

The game plan is appalling. The first 45 minutes today was diabolical. Backwards, sideways, backwards chip chip chip chip.

If we are coaching that rubbish or that is our game style we need some changes fast.
Um... I maybe completely misreading his post, but... and I will try and explain my thinking here.... follow along and sing the words when you think you have them...

People were saying the playing group were playing along to Clarkson's game plan, ie it is Clarkson's game plan that sucks.

He responded by saying, (and I do believe that other posters have also pointed out the flaw in the logic...) that Clarkson was become quite the agitated one in the coaches' box, suggesting that perhaps his agitation maybe a sign that the things the player were doing on the field weren't, in fact, part of the plan he had evinced probably only hours before in a team meeting.

So you see, while people are heaping large quantities of defecant on Clarko's game plan, becauee it was readily apparent to all watching, that it wasn't working, it only takes a couple of microjoules/second of brain power to elucidate from Clarkson's reaction that it wasn't Clarkson's game plan at all.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
The cats are freaks, plus haven’t won a flag in a decade.
North of the mid-late 90s: fell off the mountain and have never returned.
Crows of the late 90s: fell off and have never returned.
Lions of the early-mid 2000s: fell off and have never returned.
Even count us of 71-91: fell off the mountain (and almost fell out of existence) and took 17 years to return.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Um... I maybe completely misreading his post, but... and I will try and explain my thinking here.... follow along and sing the words when you think you have them...

People were saying the playing group were playing along to Clarkson's game plan, ie it is Clarkson's game plan that sucks.

He responded by saying, (and I do believe that other posters have also pointed out the flaw in the logic...) that Clarkson was become quite the agitated one in the coaches' box, suggesting that perhaps his agitation maybe a sign that the things the player were doing on the field weren't, in fact, part of the plan he had evinced probably only hours before in a team meeting.

So you see, while people are heaping large quantities of defecant on Clarko's game plan, becauee it was readily apparent to all watching, that it wasn't working, it only takes a couple of microjoules/second of brain power to elucidate from Clarkson's reaction that it wasn't Clarkson's game plan at all.

Ahhh so the fit farting around with the ball for the first 45 minutes of the game wasn’t a coaching directive at all. That’s a pretty big call from you.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Id argue it was the execution Clarko was angry with.

He does not want us to move the ball quickly. Its undeniable.

Did anyone listen to Gerrad Healy after we scored 100 against the crows?

Ahhh so the fit farting around with the ball for the first 45 minutes of the game wasn’t a coaching directive at all. That’s a pretty big call from you.
So we train all week with a quick, direct, run and play on game style, and then what, Clarko says behind closed doors to play the opposite? And then swears all day as we do that?

You need to give the opposition more credit and accept we are just no good.

WOW!! You STILL can't understand can you?

I was explaining the post you responded to. It wasn't my post.

Just wow!

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So we train all week with a quick, direct, run and play on game style, and then what, Clarko says behind closed doors to play the opposite? And then swears all day as we do that?

You need to give the opposition more credit and accept we are just no good.

Blind Freddy can see we are no good.

Blind Freddy would also play with a bit more flare and excitement than we do .

Don't forget Patton. With all that talent back in the side we would be headed for a great finish like last year, when they were all in the team.
Exactly the point. We had them all last year and were still crap because the Hubs combined with our fixture cooked us.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exactly the point. We had them all last year and were still crap because the Hubs combined with our fixture cooked us.
Do I really need to tell you how poor those excuses are? Why not mention injuries and the umpires as well, they’re always good ones.

The team has come up well short this year, and misfortune has nothing to do with it.

Do I really need to tell you how poor those excuses are? Why not mention injuries and the umpires as well, they’re always good ones.

The team has come up well short this year, and misfortune has nothing to do with it.
Excuses or reasons?

Our fixture was far and away the worst of any side in the comp, and with the form of our senior players once we were sapped of our confidence it was a downward spiral on the road that we couldn't counter.

2020.jpeg

DGB I believe. Day is still our favourite status ‘indefinite’
Currently a Box Hill hawks assistant and message taker on the bench.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
its not a coincidence that the two times we were able to score, get our run and carry going and look to 'take the game on' and 'play fast' were against the two most inexperienced sides we've played against

we are absolutely trying to, but we're not good enough at it (or its overall not good enough of a gameplan, too early to tell) and the older, better teams have defensive zones and setups that stifles our ball movement

its not rocket science

that clarko could be angry at people doing what he's asked them to do is literally one of the most ridiculous things ive ever heard. that would be like repeatedly poking a snake with a stick and getting upset when it bites u. so unless u think our quadruple premiership coach has taken to putting his nose into wasp's nests and pulling the hair of tigers its probably more likely that the players were actually NOT doing what was asked of them

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Excuses or reasons?

Our fixture was far and away the worst of any side in the comp, and with the form of our senior players once we were sapped of our confidence it was a downward spiral on the road that we couldn't counter.

View attachment 1123137
There is one over-arching reason to our failures over the past two years: our side wasn’t good enough to meet the challenges. That’s the end of the story.

The fact you’re pretending we’ve been dealt insurmountable misfortune is just making excuses.

Back