Preview Round 8, 2021: Hawthorn v West Coast, Sunday 9th May @ 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listing preferred outs is easy. Finding the ins is very difficult. That’s what happens with a weak list - you are forced to play some very ordinary players every week (and overpay them to meet the salary cap).

West Coast are so flaky this could be anything from a win to a 100 point loss depending on what West Coast turns up. If they are firing, Kennedy, Darling and Allen could kick 15 between them

If the aim is to win or compete in this game:

IN: JOM Wingard Burgoyne Brockman
OUT: Cousins Maginness Hanrahan Lewis

We were too inexperienced against Saints. That said if we are going development as priority, I could handle seeing Shiels omitted instead of Finn (though I think he’s just not ready to impact at AFL). Hartigan has to stay in for the west coast monsters, but that’s the only reason. He’s not good

I understand that Nash was very poor against Melbourne, but i think Hanrahan and Moore get judged lightly in comparison.
- Hanrahan has a pattern of playing one outstanding AFL game followed by two poor games, being dropped, not excelling at Box Hill, getting recalled and repeating the pattern. His defensive preassure is poor.

- Moore - inconsistent from quarter to quarter, and is very average at applying forward pressure. He was going to be cut from the list in 2020 but his performance against GC in the last round saved him.

Nash, who Sydney tried to poach at the end of 2018, has barely played an AFL game since then (mainly due to injury, and covid and visas - and team balance). He certainly hasn't been afforded a string of games. During that time Nash has shown that he has improved as a player - he has shown at VFL level that he can excel as part of a functioning forward line.
This year he got to play about two quarters of game time against MFC in a dysfunctional forward line and he was very poor - but he was often outnumbered at the ball. But that was one game. Nash is headed for the chopping block. It is a shame we have so many talls - because Nash deserves to play and be tested as much or more than Hanrahan and Moore (imo).

Ideally we bring in Brockman, but his form has been off in the VFL.

I really hope at some stage this year we give Nash 5 games in a row - otherwise I think we shouldn't have wasted a list spot on him this year in the first place.

I can't dispute the Hanrahan call. Was voted the fan MVP against Melbourne but unfortunately has dropped off again since then.

Moore vs Nash i'd dispute though.

High half forward is literally referred to as death valley amongst AFL players. It's such a difficult position to play because generally it's for smaller players who aren't key marking targets and you're playing directly against the best ball users in the opposition.

Moorey is doing it as well as we could hope for this season. Averaging 14 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles and over a goal a game. Currently equal second in our goal kicking. Remember he is less than 20 games into his career at this point in time as well.

Nash has strung together some decent performances in patches through late 2018 and early 2019, but since then has gone backwards horrifically. When Dylan got his chance last season he scored a Brownloe vote, then kicked 3 goals in a 14 disposal third quarter in round 1 this season. That's grabbing your opportunity. He's currently on track for a 25 goal season which, for comparisons sake, Paul Puopolo only bested twice in his career.

The development of Brockman and Mitchell will be the telling factor.

Our next generation Cyril and Poppy could be a combo of Brocky and Moorey, or Brocky and Smitchell. We just need to hope that it ends up being one of those combinations.

I wonder if those calling for Hartley’s promotion have watched him much. I confess that I haven’t so I don’t have strong opinions either way. However our coaches obviously have some reservations about some aspects of his game as he is rarely selected. I have been told that he may be a bit suspect one on one but it would be interesting to hear from our regular Box Hill watchers if they rate him.

To everyone dropping Jeka, what is his instructions when he goes back to Box Hill?

Is it:

"Work on making your teammates less terrible and mind control them kick it to you when your open on the lead rather than hack it to the pocket!"

FWIW I liked his intensity at the contest and if he got some decent delivery he would have looked much better.

agree, but who comes out?
Do we drop Jeka/Lewis?
Or another mid, making us slower?
Manage BB or manage Hartigan, so the Tobby bashers can really go to town.

I wouldn't be against bringing in Booksby rather then risk Kosi in the ruck again - that had to be a mistake - if it wasn't ....Wow.

Manage BB or manage Hartigan, so the Tobby bashers can really go to town.

I wouldn't be against bringing in Booksby rather then risk Kosi in the ruck again - that had to be a mistake - if it wasn't ....Wow.
Yeah, Kosi should be no where near the ruck. Ever.

other option is to drop Lewis, and play Reeves as second ruck. Has merit, the kid is huge so would be difficult to match up on for,the regular high balls that come in. But I like what Lewis could potentially be, and I think he needs a bank of games to find some confidence

Hartigan out makes sense, but not this week. Frost on Kennedy, TOB on Allen,but we’d lack a match up on Darling, Scrimmers showed against Adelaide he can’t play man on man,Hardwick will take their small forwards, whilst CJ is our rebounder. Sadly, we need Hartigan.

geez it’s frustrating DGB got injured

Aim should be to keep 10-12 young guys in side at any one time. So if senior guys come back they replace other experienced players. Dropping say 4 kids and replacing with JOM, wingard, silk and howe is a path to nowhere.

Our midfield was poor even with JOM and wingard in it. We may have seen a similar result with them in the side. Have to keep investing in some new players and hope they come on as the midfield mix we rolled out in first few weeks isn’t good enough and had limited improvement. We spent all our tickets on building a midfield yet somehow our kpp stocks seem better?

Really need to find some small forwards who can chase and apply actual pressure on. Moore works hard but lacks speed - I think saints put hill on him and hill just did what he wanted. Ollies defensive side is poor. Not sure brockman is answer at this stage of his career. Maybe Morris needs a shot? Or maybe pepper needs to be trialed forward at bh?

In players who can hit a target out those who cant
Unfortunately we would be replacing most our midfield if that was the case.

We really need to draft/trade for some good users of the pill and eventually our side will transform. Will take time.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

To everyone dropping Jeka, what is his instructions when he goes back to Box Hill?

Is it:

"Work on making your teammates less terrible and mind control them kick it to you when your open on the lead rather than hack it to the pocket!"

FWIW I liked his intensity at the contest and if he got some decent delivery he would have looked much better.
When you can kick goals at vfl level with how scrappy Vfl can be I hold high hopes for this young fella when we actually have a player in the middle who can get the ball somewhere near a leading a forward.
Yeah, Kosi should be no where near the ruck. Ever.

other option is to drop Lewis, and play Reeves as second ruck. Has merit, the kid is huge so would be difficult to match up on for,the regular high balls that come in. But I like what Lewis could potentially be, and I think he needs a bank of games to find some confidence

Hartigan out makes sense, but not this week. Frost on Kennedy, TOB on Allen,but we’d lack a match up on Darling, Scrimmers showed against Adelaide he can’t play man on man,Hardwick will take their small forwards, whilst CJ is our rebounder. Sadly, we need Hartigan.

geez it’s frustrating DGB got injured
Yeah it is what it is - just don't want a kosi or even Lewis doing a medial in the ruck - throw Broobsy to wolfs it's why we put him on the list, if for what ever reason Reeves isn't ready. Or god forbid bring back Cegs.........anything rather then risk our young tall forwards in the ruck....I still can't believe we did that. I wonder if it would have happened if Clarko was in the box, not the boundary, but if it happens again even my faith will be tested.

Phillips and Hartigan aren’t going anywhere.
But they should given recent performance. I'd replace with Howe and Hartley.

West Coast have a mobile big forward line that doesn't suit Hartigan so Hartley would be a better inclusion. Phillips needs to go back and earn his position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aim should be to keep 10-12 young guys in side at any one time. So if senior guys come back they replace other experienced players. Dropping say 4 kids and replacing with JOM, wingard, silk and howe is a path to nowhere.

Our midfield was poor even with JOM and wingard in it. We may have seen a similar result with them in the side. Have to keep investing in some new players and hope they come on as the midfield mix we rolled out in first few weeks isn’t good enough and had limited improvement. We spent all our tickets on building a midfield yet somehow our kpp stocks seem better?

Really need to find some small forwards who can chase and apply actual pressure on. Moore works hard but lacks speed - I think saints put hill on him and hill just did what he wanted. Ollies defensive side is poor. Not sure brockman is answer at this stage of his career. Maybe Morris needs a shot? Or maybe pepper needs to be trialed forward at bh?
I hear what you're saying, but a slightly different perspective would be to bring back those experienced guys at the expense of Ollie, Moore and Cus because these types are available at every draft pick - what isn't available is tall forwards - this is our future that needs games and time together with our best experienced midfield to give them half a chance to grow their games. Get these young forwards up and about then worry about the other issues.

But they should given recent performance. I'd replace with Howe and Hartley.

West Coast have a mobile big forward line that doesn't suit Hartigan so Hartley would be a better inclusion. Phillips needs to go back and earn his position.

Howe butchers the ball as bad as Phillips - Plus his decision making is soooo telegraphed/far too slow. NO THANKS.

Howe butchers the ball as bad as Phillips - Plus his decision making is soooo telegraphed/far too slow. NO THANKS.
So Howe and Philips are equal in your mind but you'd rather not go with the guy who gives 110%. I'd rather go with Howe and tell Philips "you want it? then you earn it!"

So Howe and Philips are equal in your mind but you'd rather not go with the guy who gives 110%. I'd rather go with Howe and tell Philips "you want it? then you earn it!"
Nothing wrong with Phillips’ effort. His work rate is great. But yes his disposal sucks.

Listing preferred outs is easy. Finding the ins is very difficult. That’s what happens with a weak list - you are forced to play some very ordinary players every week (and overpay them to meet the salary cap).

West Coast are so flaky this could be anything from a win to a 100 point loss depending on what West Coast turns up. If they are firing, Kennedy, Darling and Allen could kick 15 between them

If the aim is to win or compete in this game:

IN: JOM Wingard Burgoyne Brockman
OUT: Cousins Maginness Hanrahan Lewis

We were too inexperienced against Saints. That said if we are going development as priority, I could handle seeing Shiels omitted instead of Finn (though I think he’s just not ready to impact at AFL). Hartigan has to stay in for the west coast monsters, but that’s the only reason. He’s not good

Were we though ? The data had us and similar at a similar demographic, we did have 3 more players under 50 games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back