Status
Not open for further replies.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
maybe im wrong, but i thought that was the situation when he did his knee and that was 5 weeks ago, maybe it hasnt healed as quickly as expected?
Could be a blessing in disguise. I know that sounds strange but the temptation to throw an 18 yr old body into a key defensive furnace may have been too great based on the sides current performance. The upside is that he is getting the chance to build his body as well as absorbing professional environment at such a young age. I'm sure Sicily and Gunners have been mentoring him on the side lines ....

I am dropping Shiels before Finn at this stage. Going backwards if we continue to play Shiels over players such as Finn.
I posted along the same lines above.

But if you're bringing in BOTH Chad and O'Meara, you need to drop another player. Does Cousins keep his spot after having 27 disp and his best game of the year? Doubt it. Can't think of any other mids, prob has to be a winger or HHF.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is it worth trying to turn Nash into a backman? From memory he is around 197cm and would have great closing speed. And all of his learning around the fwd craft would be of benefit ....
Absolutely, tbh I can't believe Nash hasn't been played exclusively as a lockdown defender

SammyC

Team Captain
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is it worth trying to turn Nash into a backman? From memory he is around 197cm and would have great closing speed. And all of his learning around the fwd craft would be of benefit ....

My view is the modern defender needs to be rock solid with ball in hand and probably be home to best ball users. Nash is one of our worst kicks.

He is a pressure fwd or nothing. If he can meet the basic pressure obligations, his height could make him a rare weapon. He’s not doing the basics yet and time is running out.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree that BB needs a break and would be on a hiding to nothing against West Coast. I remember watching Nic Nat against Sandilands and he wasn't as dominant against the skyscraper. Noting Reeves is taller and can jump a bit I'd like to see him get a run this week. The alternatives are that we get smashed in the ruck anyway so why not give the young guy a run in the knowledge that he is up against the best for his development.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My view is the modern defender needs to be rock solid with ball in hand and probably be home to best ball users. Nash is one of our worst kicks.

He is a pressure fwd or nothing. If he can meet the basic pressure obligations, his height could make him a rare weapon. He’s not doing the basics yet and time is running out.
I take your point. The problem I see is that we are already too tall in the fwd line, yet we cant really deny any of the three that are there in favour of a giant pressure forward. This leaves Nash in no-mans land. My thoughts are that we either develop him down back or move him on. Just mindful that we have put some effort into him so hate to see it wasted.

You want to play Reeves in his foist game against NicNat?
Baptism of fire.
Round 5: We can't debut Reeves against Gawn
Round 6: We can't debut Reeves against O'Brien
Round 7: We can't debut Reeves against Marshall/Ryder
Round 8: We can't debut Reeves against Naitanui

Round 9: We won't be able to debut Reeves against Goldstein

Who can we debut him against? If we're worried about size (I mean, the bloke is light yes but he's 211cms), he'll be up against it forever.

I am just going to leave you with this thought about playing the kids and getting more kids into the side.

What do you think Jeka got out of the game he just played?

It would have been better if we were more competitive and we were actually able to have him compete for the ball more.
Yes he led a lot of the game but the way we were struggling in the middle of the ground and with our structures especially early in the game meant it was going to be a real up hill battle.

Unfortunately we did not have the cattle on the field to do anything about it. The best way for kids to learn is to have them come into a system that allows them to be useful participant. Playing all the kids just won't allow that. You end having players who go backwards in their development.

The older players that are playing in our side are there for a reason. They may not be part of the side going forward but they fulfil a role for the kids in the side that will be. Some kids need more development than others. Hence Will day is a walk up start. We just do not have the talent of Will Days on our list.

If you are ready you will come in

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I posted along the same lines above.

But if you're bringing in BOTH Chad and O'Meara, you need to drop another player. Does Cousins keep his spot after having 27 disp and his best game of the year? Doubt it. Can't think of any other mids, prob has to be a winger or HHF.
Cousins stays, Shiels and Hanrahan go out for Wingard And Omeara. Hanrahan just way too inconsistent and soft. Dont see him as part of the future.. Brockman also in front of him.

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Who can we debut him against? If we're worried about size (I mean, the bloke is light yes but he's 211cms), he'll be up against it forever.
Would be playing him now for sure. McEvoy is cooked.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Gold Coast - they have no rucks!

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons

I just hope people have reasonable expectations. He was fairly well matched by Paul Hunter at ruck contests against Sandy (admittedly I only saw a bit over half the game, in spurts after the first quarter). And Hunter was monstered by Flynn, Gawn and Nankervis. Unless McEvoy is injured, you're pushing out a key defender or key forward. It would make us perform worse in the short term so I think it should only happen if McEvoy really needs a rest.

Flamin Joe

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood

I'm noticing lately that it seems football selection is becoming very much about feelings, don't want to play so and so now because it will hurt his confidence etc. Whatever happened to playing someone on merit or because you need to find out if they have what it takes to go to the next level?

Sooner or later he needs to come in and we need to find out if he can take it to the next level because as others have noted many times before McEvoy is on his last legs and Ceglar is not the answer, we need a better option going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back