Preview Round 8, 2021: Hawthorn v West Coast, Sunday 9th May @ 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitchell is constantly pumping up Nash's tyres. Sounds like a classic case of being good at VFL level, but can never make the step up. Had 5 touches against the Dees 3 weeks ago, 1 tackle.

TBH this can be explained pretty rationally rather than resorting to conspiracy theories on favouritism.

I'd argue that Nash played poorly at AFL level in the previous week this season because he was played in a vastly different role to that in the VFL. It was kind of confusing why Clarko would throw him completely out of the role that he built up form in, in the VFL.

But its Clarko's team at the end of the day, and he has a history of bringing in players from Box Hill and sliding them into different roles, some successfully, others not so.

You only have to look at Finn last week. He hit form in VFL as a tagger, but rarely played the tag role at AFL. Slightly strange decisions having a disconnect, especially using young players like that who should really focus on one or two roles at AFL level to get consistency.

Clarko isn't dropping a new recuit. They need time to learn our system.

Don't judge Phillips based on this year.

We've seen what Phillips can do at his best, and that's get 25 touches a game and kick goals from the wing.

The issue is getting him back to being that player. Our game plan and the fact we're rather crap at the moment are two things don't help a hard running wingman.

Gunston is horrible as a one on one defender. He plays the lose man well, but is not a defender.
Like it or not, TOB, Hartigan and Frost are our three best options for their talls. Probably the worst trio of KPDs in the league.

Allan will play back. So Gunston won't need to play as a key defender, but hopefully can provide support in the air.

I just don't see any value trying Jeka, Kosi and Lewis for one week and that's it. We need to find out.

We've seen what Phillips can do at his best, and that's get 25 touches a game and kick goals from the wing.

The issue is getting him back to being that player. Our game plan and the fact we're rather crap at the moment are two things don't help a hard running wingman.

I also think that people who keep clamouring for Downie to come into the first team, are also people not watching Box Hill. He needs a bit of time and development Downie. He's pretty class on the ball, but seems to still be adapting to the system, so goes missing during parts of the game.

He ain't getting back to that if he's playing at BHH.

Just keep him in the side.

i doubt its a coincidence he's done pretty much exactly that in our 2 wins

The bigger bodied players such as howe and Nash have a reasonable advantage at box hill but this disappears at AFL level. The slower pace also allows nash to take advantage of his athletic ability to offset his game sense - again this doesn’t translate. Nash can be doing reasonably well at box hill level but still be a way off afl standard.
Conversely someone like downie may hold his performance or improve at afl level as his smarts and skills translate and teammates may find him the ball more if he continues to get to the right spots.

Mitchell is constantly pumping up Nash's tyres. Sounds like a classic case of being good at VFL level, but can never make the step up. Had 5 touches against the Dees 3 weeks ago, 1 tackle.

5 touches, 3 marks, 1 tackle
5 touches, 1 mark, 0 tackles
11 touches, 1 mark, 0 tackles, 1 behind

These are his last three games he's played at AFL level. So much for "crash and bash."

His athleticism allows him to play well at VFL level. It helps cover the deficiencies in his game. But it means nothing at AFL level if he isn't able to utilise those athletic traits.

He ain't getting back to that if he's playing at BHH.

Just keep him in the side.

If he was 28/29 then I'd be all for him being binned. But he's not even touching his prime yet, so I want to see him get used to whatever game plan we are trying to employ, or at least just find his feet in the side.

It doesn't help new recruits that there is a smelly feeling around the club at the moment with how things are going. It's going to be hard for him.

I also think that people who keep clamouring for Downie to come into the first team, are also people not watching Box Hill. He needs a bit of time and development Downie. He's pretty class on the ball, but seems to still be adapting to the system, so goes missing during parts of the game.

I'm keener than anyone to see Downie in the side. I hope we drop someone else for him though.

5 touches, 3 marks, 1 tackle
5 touches, 1 mark, 0 tackles
11 touches, 1 mark, 0 tackles, 1 behind

These are his last three games he's played at AFL level. So much for "crash and bash."

His athleticism allows him to play well at VFL level. It helps cover the deficiencies in his game. But it means nothing at AFL level if he isn't able to utilise those athletic traits.

How far apart are those games? It seems he's always in for 1, max 2, and out.

If the selection committee think he can make it, then pick him for 5 or 6 games and let's see... otherwise, don't bother picking him.

Clearly doing nothing for him thinking he's going to get dropped each time he steps up to AFL...

To be honest mate, it can't be easy stepping up and being coached to the level of what brand hair product you will bring to the game... id love us to bring these guys up and let them play with some more freedom, excitement... let's get as many kids confident at the level, and then focus on our game plan...

Last edited:
When we play slow and slow teams down Morrison is fine as he can get to position and link up. When we try to play quick or teams transition fast Harry is exposed as he’s not damaging enough on the attack or quick enough to shut down the fast wingers.
I honestly feel it's almost the opposite. Harry is super damaging when the ball is being moved quickly as that's when his creativity by foot can flourish. Last week against the saints when we looked more aggressive in moving the ball forward and he was involved we had marks inside 50 or close to it, but when we went into the more defensive playstyle he was almost a nonfactor around the ball at all.

TBH this can be explained pretty rationally rather than resorting to conspiracy theories on favouritism.

I'd argue that Nash played poorly at AFL level in the previous week this season because he was played in a vastly different role to that in the VFL. It was kind of confusing why Clarko would throw him completely out of the role that he built up form in, in the VFL.

But its Clarko's team at the end of the day, and he has a history of bringing in players from Box Hill and sliding them into different roles, some successfully, others not so.

You only have to look at Finn last week. He hit form in VFL as a tagger, but rarely played the tag role at AFL. Slightly strange decisions having a disconnect, especially using young players like that who should really focus on one or two roles at AFL level to get consistency.
Wasn't resorting to anything. You're putting words in my mouth.
Just said, like many players, he struggles to make the step up. Unfortunately, some players never can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The announcement comes as the AFL has also advised Victorian clubs that reserve seat members can return to their reserved seats at the MCG, Marvel Stadium from Round Nine and GMHBA Stadium from Round 10.

To comply with government approved COVID Safe measures Reserve Seat Members will be able to download a digital membership card from their club to use on their smart phone – much adding an airplane ticket or debit card to the phone’s digital wallet.

Once they arrive at the match, members will enter through the designated gate on their digital membership cards, scan in and head to their normal reserved seat/s.

In the coming days each club will communicate with their members as to their preferred approach.

If members don’t have a smart phone they can work directly with their club on an alternative arrangement.

The announcement comes as the AFL has also advised Victorian clubs that reserve seat members can return to their reserved seats at the MCG, Marvel Stadium from Round Nine and GMHBA Stadium from Round 10.

To comply with government approved COVID Safe measures Reserve Seat Members will be able to download a digital membership card from their club to use on their smart phone – much adding an airplane ticket or debit card to the phone’s digital wallet.

Once they arrive at the match, members will enter through the designated gate on their digital membership cards, scan in and head to their normal reserved seat/s.

In the coming days each club will communicate with their members as to their preferred approach.

If members don’t have a smart phone they can work directly with their club on an alternative arrangement.
Yay!
Regardless of where your reserved seats are located, when you see the same faces year in year out, you become a bit like family and 18months is a long time to go without touching base. It's also another incentive to keep rocking up when the weather starts to turn, games are at unfavourable times and the team isn't tracking all too well also.

Shame we don't have a home game until round 14!!!

Reckon this week's crowd will be lower than the GWS Mother's day game in 2019 (14,636) and could challenge the Port game (11,682) in 2004 as our lowest MCG crowd.

West Coast has a strong following in Melbourne. Plus this game is a 1.10pm start. I think 25,000 is possible.

West Coast has a strong following in Melbourne. Plus this game is a 1.10pm start. I think 25,000 is possible.
i have a mother's day lunch on at 12.30 to difficult for many members combined with the allocated seats. 20k fair guess

I think West Coast are panels better than Saints.

We’re going to get beat to a pulp in the middle unless there's a big change from last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back