Preview Round 8, 2021: Hawthorn v West Coast, Sunday 9th May @ 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hard to get the ball when you’ve already been labelled a tagger after four games of VFL.
I agree he needs to find the pill but they won’t even give him the chance to do it at Box Hill. The last thing Hawthorn needs is a tagger.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well the last thing Hawthorn’s midfield actually needs is someone who can’t even get the ball. He wouldn’t be given tagging roles if he were ripping up the VFL and dominating. He’s been struggling for impact in VFL as a midfielder so he’s been given defensive roles, which he’s stuck to and contributed well in. But he’s just not ready for AFL. Neither is Downie for similar reasons (can’t get the ball in the VFL

Its a bit of reoccurring theme here, but the idea that “I don’t know what the selection criteria is for young players” is equal to “the match committee don’t know what they are doing with young players” is one of the strangest things that pops up on Bigfooty.

The coaches and staff literally live and breathe the HFC day in, day out. They are not just making selections based on a feeling.

How does one literally breathe in a football club?

Why is 1 game good for young players development when he comes into AFL to play a different position?

Zero continuity or time to adjust to the speed of the game
There’s usually far more nuance to it. Sometimes a kid is coming in for an injured senior player who is ok the following, sometimes it’s a structural thing, we need more talls, more run, a tag, etc. Sometimes it’s not about the kid, it’s about the team as a whole, sometimes the kid literally is out of their depth and the club can see immediately they need to work on something at Box Hill, sometimes it’s about their personality, knowing that a quick taste will get the best out of them on the track end in the 2s, sometimes it’s a combination of many of these factors and sometimes it’s as simple as they copped a small niggle that they can still play out half a game at box hill but not in the seniors.

Ultimately, none of these decisions are made in a vacuum or on the fly.

the players not developing in the vfl is rubbish so I don't really mind if Jeka and Finn get dropped as harsh as it may be

it's the no Brockman that's confusing, wonder whats keeping him at box Hill

surely a quiet game from ollie tomorrow and he's gone
Brockmans issue is he's not quick enough for the small forward role. He isn't behind Ollie, he's behind Moore

Brockmans issue is he's not quick enough for the small forward role. He isn't behind Ollie, he's behind Moore

That’s not his issue at all. Brockman is more than quick enough for the pressure role even if his top end acceleration isn’t elite. I think his consistency is a bigger issue, in that he can’t currently do it for extended periods.

the players not developing in the vfl is rubbish so I don't really mind if Jeka and Finn get dropped as harsh as it may be

it's the no Brockman that's confusing, wonder whats keeping him at box Hill

surely a quiet game from ollie tomorrow and he's gone
I think it is nothing more than they managed him, played him back at box hill where hanrahan out performed him and then hanrahan had a good first game back. Why he isn’t in this week is a little harder to understand but possibly they wanted to give hanrahan a block of games or have just forgiven him last week due to the inept performance of the midfield in the first half.

Well the last thing Hawthorn’s midfield actually needs is someone who can’t even get the ball. He wouldn’t be given tagging roles if he were ripping up the VFL and dominating. He’s been struggling for impact in VFL as a midfielder so he’s been given defensive roles, which he’s stuck to and contributed well in. But he’s just not ready for AFL. Neither is Downie for similar reasons (can’t get the ball in the VFL

I don't think that's quite right. He was given tagging roles from game one this season, and this is the first chance he's had to play VFL. He hasn't had a chance to play his natural game as yet.

I don't think that's quite right. He was given tagging roles from game one this season, and this is the first chance he's had to play VFL. He hasn't had a chance to play his natural game as yet.

he's essentially in year one, most mids have problems finding the ball in their first years, not many of em avg 20+ before their third season

will just take time to see what we got with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under AFLs new rules, team are announced 45mins before the start of all games.

Wake up AFL.....Thursday night should be when team and/or extended list gets announced.....always tinkering but never for the better.

ROUND 8 TEAM
Hawthorn v West Coast
Sunday 9 May, 1.10pm
MCG

IN: Wingard, Howe, Hartley

OUT: O’Brien (Injured), Moore, Maginness

B: Blake Hardwick, Kyle Hartigan, Changkuoth Jiath
HB: Harry Morrison, Sam Frost, Jack Scrimshaw
C: James Cousins, James Worpel, Tom Phillips
HF: Jack Gunston, Mitch Lewis, Liam Shiels
F: Emerson Jeka, Jacob Koschitzke, Chad Wingard
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Tom Mitchell, Luke Breust
I/C: Oliver Hanrahan, Jarman Impey, Michael Hartley, Dan Howe

EMG: Dylan Moore, Conor Nash, Josh Morris, Damon Greaves

he's essentially in year one, most mids have problems finding the ball in their first years, not many of em avg 20+ before their third season

will just take time to see what we got with him
Agree, last year was a wasted year for him unfortunately because of Covid. He’s in the same boat as Downie - young player at start of career doing ok in the VFL but without a lot of impact. They both have some encouraging attributes (good size, good athletes, Downie’s a good kick). But they are playing at the level they belong at the moment. Both need time

Greaves and Nash played today, so Moore is either the sub or the emergency (with Morris). Which I find odd if he wasn't omitted. Surely the call is made that he's right to play or he isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back