Preview Round 8, 2021: Hawthorn v West Coast, Sunday 9th May @ 1:10pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I won’t pretend to know the context of the decision, the reason or the communication that Finn himself has received, but I would assume that there are things he is both doing and not doing that the coaches would point to from his senior appearance last week and that they’ve told him he needs to either limit or increase before he will be considered to be ahead of a couple of the more seasoned fringe players, forcing his way into the side.

I thought he was ok against the Saints, but that’s purely from an “I want him to succeed” position, and I can see why the club might feel that he has things to work on that he can do at Box Hill, without perhaps weakening the midfield’s chances of winning the battle and subsequently increasing the chances of a win, which even in this period of development and “wins don’t matter” is still hugely important to the continued development of players like CJ, Kosi, Moore, Scrim, Jeka, Ollie, Morrison and anyone else who’s closer to the start than the end who has been sold the dream and needs to feel that we’re on the right path with a newer group.
I agree with the above and reckon that may have played out, I just disagree with the handling of some of the current youth. My opinion here on some select cases;

Finn - would like him to have kept his spot and worked on the issues from the saints game and turn a negative into a positive (he goes back to vfl and drops his head after being dropped - I’d say that s a confidence sapper)

Brockman - looks a class above but lacking conditioning, he should
Still be in the team as we are developing and his upside is huge (instead he goes back to vfl and plays okay against weaker opposition - we would not have done that in 05)

Downie - gets names sub for game 1 then dropped to work on running patterns in the vfl that don’t seem to be working (looking at the vfl form you would think his not ready but he still should not have been dropped for a proper game - we had nothing to loose by playing him and could actually see upside at AFL level with cleaner disposal - also purely my perception but seems the senior box hill
Players and hawks AFL listed players arnt working together well but happy to be corrected here)

In isolation each could be an outlier but we are starting to create (my opinion) issues in confidence with ability at AFL by dropping players in a games notice without any ability to work on issues picked up in previous game, even in 04/05/06/07 I rarely remember players going in and out of the side from
Game to game, they would have stints.

and on top of this I am still genuinely optimistic about the talent that is emerging for us but concerned the way we are handling some is detrimental.

And becoming bemused with team selection week to week because I don’t see 2021 playing out like this if the period were reversed to 2004/05

2021 draft is so important for the midfield just hope the strategy moving forward is clear because based on how the mids are working together it is getting uglier every week.

hawka32

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reasonable changes I think, watching Box Hill today on tv it is quite clear how bare the cupboard really is so not sure you can have anymore youth than we’ve already gone with.

Hopefully Wingard and Howe in will even up the midfield battle a bit and it’d be great to see Worpel find the footy again like last week.

Mainly I just want to see a response after last week.

I agree with the above and reckon that may have played out, I just disagree with the handling of some of the current youth. My opinion here on some select cases;

Finn - would like him to have kept his spot and worked on the issues from the saints game and turn a negative into a positive (he goes back to vfl and drops his head after being dropped - I’d say that s a confidence sapper)

Brockman - looks a class above but lacking conditioning, he should
Still be in the team as we are developing and his upside is huge (instead he goes back to vfl and plays okay against weaker opposition - we would not have done that in 05)

Downie - gets names sub for game 1 then dropped to work on running patterns in the vfl that don’t seem to be working (looking at the vfl form you would think his not ready but he still should not have been dropped for a proper game - we had nothing to loose by playing him and could actually see upside at AFL level with cleaner disposal - also purely my perception but seems the senior box hill
Players and hawks AFL listed players arnt working together well but happy to be corrected here)

In isolation each could be an outlier but we are starting to create (my opinion) issues in confidence with ability at AFL by dropping players in a games notice without any ability to work on issues picked up in previous game, even in 04/05/06/07 I rarely remember players going in and out of the side from
Game to game, they would have stints.

and on top of this I am still genuinely optimistic about the talent that is emerging for us but concerned the way we are handling some is detrimental.

And becoming bemused with team selection week to week because I don’t see 2021 playing out like this if the period were reversed to 2004/05

2021 draft is so important for the midfield just hope the strategy moving forward is clear because based on how the mids are working together it is getting uglier every week.
Finn and Downie might favorites amongst this board, but they’re both not exactly banging the door down at Box Hill.
Finns selection last week was a bit of a surprise, and without the injuries to JOM and Wingard, I would assume he’d have not been named.

Brockman has the tools to be a good senior level player, but he’s also had some pretty ordinary moments before he went back to Box Hill, so if an extended period there helps him really start to feel like he’s above that level and he can put it together consistently, that would be great.

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Downie, Day(unfortunately injured) and Brockman are the classy outside players the senior side need desperately. We have lots of grunt but lack pace and polish on the outside. That weagles backline looks completely undermanned. Perfect opportunity for our 3 young tall forwards to have a day out!

More whinging in here than a mother's club.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
stuffed.jpg

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So Hartley and Howe hey... * that's inspiring.

Que the, he's not ready crew... but hey, we will still lose playing known guys that aren't taking us forward... which is important im told.

Love our rebuild concept.

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
So Hartley and Howe hey... fu** that's inspiring.

Que the, he's not ready crew... but hey, we will still lose playing known guys that aren't taking us forward... which is important im told.

Love our rebuild concept.

when is Minchington getting a game? we still dont know if he is good enough?

but in all seriousness, the match committee are only focussed on this week, they have no desire to develop for the future, i dont agree with it, but thats what they are doing anyway..... frustrating isnt it? oh and expect the "we are too young, we're developing the kids ect ect ect" yea 1 or 2 at a time, MEANWHILE at Port, StKilda, Melbourne, Richmond, Fremantle, Sydney..... they know how to recruit and have faith in their future.

but then again our list is not inspiring many people atm, only Brockman is putting his hand up for more AFL games.

Last edited:

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
when is Minchington getting a game? we still dont know if he is good enough?

but in all seriousness, the match committee are only focussed on this week, they have no desire to develop for the future, i dont agree with it, but thats what they are doing anyway..... frustrating isnt it? oh and expect the "we are too young, we're developing the kids ect ect ect" yea 1 or 2 at a time, MEANWHILE at Port, StKilda, Melbourne, Richmond, Fremantle, Sydney..... they know how to recruit and have faith in their future.

but then again our list is not inspiring many people atm, only Brockman is putting his hand up for more AFL games.

Bang on mate. It's frustrating hey.

It seems our kids are looked at in the lens of, not ready, not doing this, don't know the game plan. But so many other teams just bring them in and develop them. Look at their strengths.

I ******* hate watching Essendon this year. They are doing everything I would want to see us do with our youth. Blerg.

I can stomach us losing most weeks, but not with the sides we are rolling out.

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reasonable changes I think, watching Box Hill today on tv it is quite clear how bare the cupboard really is so not sure you can have anymore youth than we’ve already gone with.

Hopefully Wingard and Howe in will even up the midfield battle a bit and it’d be great to see Worpel find the footy again like last week.

Mainly I just want to see a response after last week.

Box hill looked awful and the hawks players offered no compelling reason to be elevated. We are all going to need patience. Learning in the vfl ...has worked before. No instant saviours like Cyril. Settle in for the long haul.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
The upside is,that pick 2 beckons come years end.
Or perhaps even pick 1.

Nah it won't get pick 1 as North are 2 games and percentage behind, that's a lot of ground for a s**t team to make up.

It's scary how bare the cupboard is at Box Hill that we're forced to play Howe and Hartley types in what is a rebuilding team, it's a pretty bad cliff we've fallen off.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nah it won't get pick 1 as North are 2 games and percentage behind, that's a lot of ground for a sh*t team to make up.

It's scary how bare the cupboard is at Box Hill that we're forced to play Howe and Hartley types in what is a rebuilding team, it's a pretty bad cliff we've fallen off.
Young players can improve rapidly though. We are thin on now and a few injuries hasnt helped that because our depth isnt great.
Which I think most of us were pretty aware of.

Fast forward another pre season another draft and things could look very different next season.

Last season people had CJ as a delist, now he is possible one of our most important players.
If we have 2-3 get a spike in performance and development , the team dynamic and or depth looks very different. Could be more you never know.

A few want us to play 'kids' but also want results and unfortunately they dont usually go hand in hand.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Young players can improve rapidly though. We are thin on now and a few injuries hasnt helped that because our depth isnt great.
Which I think most of us were pretty aware of.

Fast forward another pre season another draft and things could look very different next season.

Last season people had CJ as a delist, now he is possible one of our most important players.
If we have 2-3 get a spike in performance and development , the team dynamic and or depth looks very different. Could be more you never know.

A few want us to play 'kids' but also want results and unfortunately they dont usually go hand in hand.

Fingers crossed mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back