Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
IN: O'Meara, Wingard, Burgoyne, Hartley (we need more talls down back against Kennedy, Darling and Allan)
OUT: Morrison (sub), Jeka (not his fault), Hanrahan, Shiels (managed)

Not easy. I'd rather persist with Jeka but this is all match up related. We need more height down back and we can't add more with the super tall forward line we played with today.
Harry hasn't done much wrong but shouldn't be too harmed by playing as the 23rd man. Ditto Hanrahan, but Wingard is more required.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jeez, I didn't think the whole thing was that bad. Just what can happen if you have "honorable" losses for most of your games. The victory against Crows was more a get out of jail free card.

Changes.... hmmm... has to start in the midfield.

IN: JOM, Wingard

OUTS: I really don't know. Want to keep the kids going. Jeka has to stay, for mine, led well to few entries... and what were coming down was garbage.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Fingers crossed for Chad and Jaegar. Clarko said in the presser that Burgoyne is unlikely. We have one tall forward too many so I'd guess Lewis (less likely) or Jeka (more likely) will come out based on today's performances.

Hartley, Greaves, Downie, Howe, Nash, Brockman and Reeves named for Box Hill tomorrow and I hope Brocky can get a good run. Any of them could make a case with a standout performance given how many areas we were beaten in (although it would be cruel to debut Reeves against NicNat).

Early thoughts:

In: O'Meara, Wingard, Brockman
Out
: Jeka (harsh in the circumstances but Lewis and Kosi have decent AFL form and he got 2 touches), Hanrahan (Hanrahan made better attacking contributions when he has the ball but worse with pressure and Moore has better season form so could go either tbh), Maginness (again harsh, but Cousins at least found the ball a fair bit, and he would be next out from the mid rotation)

FB: Hardwick - Hartigan - Frost
HB: Scrimshaw - Jiath - Impey
C: Phillips - Mitchell - Shiels
HF: Worpel - Koschitzke - Gunston
FF: Brockman - Lewis - Breust
R: McEvoy - O'Meara - Wingard
IC: O'Brien - Cousins - Morrison - Moore

Could bring Hartley in for the O'Brien role (too focused on finding the body, not the ball, as most players new to defense are), or bring Howe into a wing for Harry (if he isn't finding the ball, then his size can become a liability) if either of them play well tomorrow but that's mostly shuffling deck chairs.

Last edited:

Hodginator

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IN: O'Meara, Wingard, Burgoyne, Hartley (we need more talls down back against Kennedy, Darling and Allan)
OUT: Morrison (sub), Jeka (not his fault), Hanrahan, Shiels (managed)

Not easy. I'd rather persist with Jeka but this is all match up related. We need more height down back and we can't add more with the super tall forward line we played with today.
Harry hasn't done much wrong but shouldn't be too harmed by playing as the 23rd man. Ditto Hanrahan, but Wingard is more required.
Burgoyne unlikely. Wouldn’t be dropping Jeka for the exact reason you mention. Would be a real kick in the guts. Let him have more time in the 1s with hopefully some better delivery out on the G.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fingers crossed for Chad and Jaegar. Clarko said in the presser that Burgoyne is unlikely. We have one tall forward too many so I'd guess Lewis (less likely) or Jeka (more likely) will come out based on today's performances.

Hartley, Greaves, Downie, Howe, Nash, Brockman and Reeves named for Box Hill tomorrow and I hope Brocky can get a good run. Any of them could make a case with a standout performance given how many areas we were beaten in (although it would be cruel to debut Reeves against NicNat).

Early thoughts:

In: O'Meara, Wingard, Brockman
Out: Jeka, Moore, Maginness

FB: Hardwick - Hartigan - Frost
HB: Scrimshaw - Jiath - Impey
C: Phillips - Mitchell - Shiels
HF: Worpel - Koschitzke - Gunston
FF: Brockman - Lewis - Breust
R: McEvoy - O'Meara - Wingard
IC: O'Brien - Cousins - Morrison - Hanrahan

Could bring Hartley in for the O'Brien role (too focused on finding the body, not the ball, as most players new to defense are), or bring Howe into a wing for Harry (if he isn't finding the ball, then his size can become a liability) if either of them play well tomorrow but that's mostly shuffling deck chairs.

Why are you dropping Moore before Hanrahan after today out of curiosity?

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Burgoyne unlikely. Wouldn’t be dropping Jeka for the exact reason you mention. Would be a real kick in the guts. Let him have more time in the 1s with hopefully some better delivery out on the G.

Dropping Jeka would be a crap decision. Looked the part, though barely got a touch. Looked far more dangerous than Lewis Mitchell.

Liking the cut of Jeka's jib.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Why are you dropping Moore before Hanrahan after today out of curiosity?
Added a little extra info in the post. I felt Hanrahan has been more likely to make a positive contribution when he gets the ball in recent matches, but has been a bigger defensive liability. Moore pressures more often but his pressure isn't often effective. I feel both are down on form and don't see much difference in who would come out.

The pressure issue is a big enough deal, now that I see Hanrahan didn't lay a tackle and was last in pressure acts for us off 80% game time that I'd probably switch them and keep Moore.

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
1. we need to improve our midfield, are JOM and Wingard available? because im not sure Cousins or Maginness are the answer
2. Hartigan moves like Fat Albert
3. Phillips needs to play more like he did in preseason, get dirty
4. TOB and Hanrahan - i would like them dropped, but they seem to be immune from responsibility
5. Lewis or Jeka, theres only room for 1
6. i cant wait for Brockman, Day, DGB and Sicily to come back in
7. at least Ceglar, Howe and Nash arent playing, be thankful for small blessings

IN: JOM, Wingard, Hartley, Greaves, Downie, Bramble
OUT: TOB, Hanrahan, Jeka, Maginness, Cousins, Hartigan

but thats me.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. we need to improve our midfield, are JOM and Wingard available? because im not sure Cousins or Maginness are the answer
2. Hartigan moves like Fat Albert
3. Phillips needs to play more like he did in preseason, get dirty
4. TOB and Hanrahan - i would like them dropped, but they seem to be immune from responsibility
5. Lewis or Jeka, theres only room for 1
6. i cant wait for Brockman, Day, DGB and Sicily to come back in
7. at least Ceglar, Howe and Nash arent playing, be thankful for small blessings

IN: JOM, Wingard, Hartley, Greaves, Downie, Bramble
OUT: TOB, Hanrahan, Jeka, Maginness, Cousins, Hartigan

but thats me.

I actually thought Maginness was one of our better performers. He's definitely not the answer but in his second proper game (last week didn't count) did a reasonable tagging job, got more involved as the game progressed and had two or three impressive moments. He didn't have any howler moments either like Cuz who after working hard butchered the ball three times in one passage of play.

I think Reeves has to play. McEvoy is getting destroyed as the solo ruck and needs assistance badly but none of our tall forwards are really second rucks. And Ceglar is not the answer. One of our talls has to make way either Lewis or Jeka.

I also think we need a heap more forward pressure but who do we have on the list that can do that? I think we need to give Brockman, Morris and when he's ready Seamus as much opportunity as possible. Moore is handy but he's not a pressure forward, Hanrahan is disappointing & Bruest - while still skilled - has a very disappointing tendency to jog near his direct opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute certainty is Burgoyne pending his health test. He's being played to 400.

JOM will come in and will do his thing. Going to be tough with an old man in McEvoy now struggling to break even up against one of the most athletic players in the league.

Would like to see more variety around the stoppages, using inexperienced players like McGuiness, in around the stoppages and see if they can help break even and provide some inside and outside run. Give them the knowledge that they'll be in there a lot regardless of the score and see if they can respond when challenged.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would like to see Finn and Jeka get another go at it. Both showed promising signs. Give them time to adjust to the level. Nothing gained dropping them without giving them a good crack first. Let them find their feet. Finn really improved as the game went on.

Kosi looks he took a lot of confidence out of that Adelaide game. Here’s hoping he can have this 3rd really good game in a row.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IN: Wingard, JOM, Brockman/Downie*

Out:Hanrahan, Cousins, Maginness *

*Only if either one put up a really good game tomorrow.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Added a little extra info in the post. I felt Hanrahan has been more likely to make a positive contribution when he gets the ball in recent matches, but has been a bigger defensive liability. Moore pressures more often but his pressure isn't often effective. I feel both are down on form and don't see much difference in who would come out.

The pressure issue is a big enough deal, now that I see Hanrahan didn't lay a tackle and was last in pressure acts for us off 80% game time that I'd probably switch them and keep Moore.

That's cool. At least you thought it out.

Was just wondering because I knew Moorey had a far greater impact on today's game in particular.

Ollie probably better the two weeks before though.

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Shiels is cooked - time for a spell.
Hartigan - replace with a brick on some rope.
Frost - coax Tony Woods out of retirement (at least he had better disposal).
Gunston - replace with a cardboard cut out of Gunston.

bring back omeara and Burgers immediately. We also need all the goals Wingard gives us- wait what?

Cousins and Moore were very good in the second half and should hold their spots.

Koschitzke was our best tall forward despite the limited opportunities.

Maginness will benefit with another game.

IN: Wingard, O’Meara

OUT: Jeka (omitted), Hanrahan (omitted)

B: Hardwick, Hartigan, O’Brien

HB: Scrimshaw, Frost, Jiath

C: Morrison, Mitchell, Phillips

HF: Wingard, Lewis, Gunston

F: Breust, Koschitzke, Moore

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Impey, Maginness, Shiels, Cousins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad