Unofficial Preview Round 8, 2021: North Melbourne vs Collingwood @ Marvel Stadium | Saturday, May 8 @ 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

DrZaius

I hate every ape I see from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
We have lost 7 games with our forward line being the worst I've seen in 30 odd years supporting the club. Reckon we should be able to fit in any forward who is in any semblance of form in the VFL, even if it's both Garner and Ford.
We had no problems scoring in the first half against Melbourne when our MIDFIELD actually had legs. Throwing in extra forwards will solve precisely fu** all and will just put more of a burden on our running capacity, as Garner & Ford aren't exactly endurance beasts.

Event Horizon

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Victory
We had no problems scoring in the first half against Melbourne when our MIDFIELD actually had legs. Throwing in extra forwards will solve precisely fu** all and will just put more of a burden on our running capacity, as Garner & Ford aren't exactly endurance beasts.
Our inside 50 dominance in the 2nd quarter was something like 18:8. Yes we did kick 5 goals, but it's hardly reflected our dominance. The same thing happened against Adelaide when we dominated for large periods, without much reward, and were only up by a few points at 3/4 time, when we should have been up by 4-5 goals. I would say forward line is a bigger problem than midfield at the moment.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our inside 50 dominance in the 2nd quarter was something like 18:8. Yes we did kick 5 goals, but it's hardly reflected our dominance. The same thing happened against Adelaide when we dominated for large periods, without much reward, and were only up by a few points at 3/4 time, when we should have been up by 4-5 goals. I would say forward line is a bigger problem than midfield at the moment.
it's the delivery into the f50 that's the issue! often against adelaide and other sides when we dominated we got it to the half forward area and slowed down the delivery (yes maybe due to no one being inside 50) and that only brings about a low % long bomb. in the first half against melbourne we got it fast to the half forward, then were able to stretch melbournes defense and put it across the other side of the ground.

Event Horizon

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Victory
it's the delivery into the f50 that's the issue! often against adelaide and other sides when we dominated we got it to the half forward area and slowed down the delivery (yes maybe due to no one being inside 50) and that only brings about a low % long bomb. in the first half against melbourne we got it fast to the half forward, then were able to stretch melbournes defense and put it across the other side of the ground.
We all have a different opinion. I am not saying delivery is great, but I haven't seen anyone present or get any separation at all. Our forwards aren't leading towards the kicker. They are leading the other way, if anything. And once it hits the ground, we have had no crumbling options or ability to hold it in there. Unless we fix the forward line setup, we will struggle to win with any midfield dominance.

DrZaius

I hate every ape I see from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
We all have a different opinion. I am not saying delivery is great, but I haven't seen anyone present or get any separation at all. Our forwards aren't leading towards the kicker. They are leading the other way, if anything. And once it hits the ground, we have had no crumbling options or ability to hold it in there. Unless we fix the forward line setup, we will struggle to win with any midfield dominance.
Have a look at the first half against Melbourne again, the forwards are leading and getting plenty of separation. The reason we had such a huge disparity in our i50s was because of our midfield dominance.
It's not basketball where it's only a matter of making your shots count, we actually have to get the ball there in the first place.

Our forward line is absolutely a list need, but bringing in another forward this weekend isn't going to make us a 5 goal better team IMO.

Absolute lunacy...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

andana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Be worthwhile keeping Larkey in the forward 50 all game with a small forward so Lazzaro has someone to kick to instead of an empty Pagans paddock.
Keeps Moore out of the game also.

the Ziebull

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mahony was more effective in the AFL last week than Garner was in the VFL.
Disagree
Garner Was a clear target up forward despite limited supply and in a team that got done by 100

He’s a much better player than Mahony and he’s finally fully fit

Remove this Banner Ad