Unofficial Preview Round 8, 2021: North Melbourne vs Collingwood @ Marvel Stadium | Saturday, May 8 @ 4:35pm

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s fine
We are already getting thumped - losing by 50 vs say 80 could care less

Just take in the losses
Pump the games into the kids

And hell if it makes you feel better if we go winless we’ll get a PP for sure which will also fast track the rebuild

But at least come years end we hopefully have 20 more games into Xerri, Phillips, Lazzaro, Powell, LDU etc

Instead of ******* Tom Campbell and Shaun Atley as an example
Kids don't simply develop because the number next to their games played count goes up.

There's a difference in terms of development between playing a competitive game where you take it up to a better team versus getting absolutely spanked and losing possession counts by nearing triple figures.

If the difference between losing by an 5 extra goals and every player getting a handful less possessions is that we play one or two more senior bodies then so be it. You can't just play every kid on the list, be a bottomless pit of uncompetitive drivel, and expect players to actual develop well.

Kids don't simply develop because the number next to their games played count goes up.

There's a difference in terms of development between playing a competitive game where you take it up to a better team versus getting absolutely spanked and losing possession counts by nearing triple figures.

If the difference between losing by an 5 extra goals and every player getting a handful less possessions is that we play one or two more senior bodies then so be it. You can't just play every kid on the list, be a bottomless pit of uncompetitive drivel, and expect players to actual develop well.
And I’m not saying play every kid

I’m saying play Xerri over campbell

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My argument is Xerri would do just as well if not better

And I’d rather he get the chance to prove it as the long term benefits are huge for us
I'm eager to have him in the team and see what he can do too, but he's come off an interrupted pre season only to cop several minor injuries/niggles in VFL games vs Campbell who is as fit as a fiddle and playing to the level. At least with Xerri, unlike almost every other younger player, he can gain something from the VFL. Performance and development in the ruck can be very independent from how the rest of the team travels, not to mention that if we want him to be Goldy's long term replacement he might very well be better served playing 90% TOG ruck in the VFL vs 20% in the AFL.

Must have been fun times for the supporters back then. I seem to be getting an inkling of how they were feeling. Who did we beat to end the dreaded loss curse?

Footscray.

We had 3 losses by less than a goal before that and another 2 losses by less than 2 goals.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Game at 4.35 on a Saturday the AFL just can't give us a a good time slot can they lol. Looking forward to our 3.37 sometime, somewhere.
Doesn’t help when our supporters don’t even turn up For home games like yesterday more ground noise for Melbourne when they kicked goals then us could hear it clearly over the TV.
Start attending games and start winning games we might get some better time slots.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Doesn’t help when our supporters don’t even turn up For home games like yesterday more ground noise for Melbourne when they kicked goals then us could hear it clearly over the TV.
Start attending games and start winning games we might get some better time slots.
Every club has their bandwagon supporters. People find it hard to turn up and watch the slop we’ve been putting out. Collingwood had 23,000 at the game, which is more a concern than what’s happening with us.

I'll attend home games when the club does...

Every club has their bandwagon supporters. People find it hard to turn up and watch the slop we’ve been putting out. Collingwood had 23,000 at the game, which is more a concern than what’s happening with us.
There you go time slots do matter and also who you play. We get poor time slots often whether we do well or not and it has a compound effect over time. These entitled teams will get one or 2 a year .

Its a Process

All Australian
Mar 28, 2011
Nsw
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I watched most of Gold Coast vs Pies and they are well and truly there for the taking at the moment. JdG looks injured, was getting pushed off the ball far to easily and they are very slow when taking the ball forward which should suit us. Unfortunately I am sure the Moore playing forward experiment is over as he was unsighted on the weekend and Bucks will push him back as he should have done at qtr time of the Gold Coast game.

If we move the ball with intent, whether it';s going forward or switching we can catch them out. Be lovely to put the final nail in Bucks' coffin after all of history with him.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm eager to have him in the team and see what he can do too, but he's come off an interrupted pre season only to cop several minor injuries/niggles in VFL games vs Campbell who is as fit as a fiddle and playing to the level. At least with Xerri, unlike almost every other younger player, he can gain something from the VFL. Performance and development in the ruck can be very independent from how the rest of the team travels, not to mention that if we want him to be Goldy's long term replacement he might very well be better served playing 90% TOG ruck in the VFL vs 20% in the AFL.
Well reasoned, respectful of other opinions; spot on

Aug 24, 2006
THE BIG V
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Roo4Life Member
SPOT ON

Back