Review Round 8, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't get too wet - BONUS!!!!!

Tried to play a little bit too cute in the first half - second half was way better

Happy for T Bez first goal

McStay didn't look too impressed with his ankle

The Suitcase is a damn ****** great footballer and why Dodo didn't draft him ahead of McGrath I'll never know - a **** stud Hugh!!!!!

And no offence to Eleni but her confidence is shot - she was horrendous

The Suitcase is a damn ****** great footballer and why Dodo didn't draft him ahead of McGrath I'll never know - a **** stud Hugh!!!!!

McGrath is a good footballer but isn't in the same class as Clug.

Seems quite incredible now that both the Bombers and GWS passed up on Hugh in his draft year as he was considered the consensus #1 pick since at least the U18 champs and possibly before.

The trade we did with GWS to let go our pick 2 for 3 (and 16?) was a masterstroke, snagging Hugh at 3 and Berry (eventually at 17 I think)

The Lions drafting team was reported as rating Hugh as easily the standout #1 pick of that draft and couldn't believe their luck at picking him up at 3

Win-win....for us:D

Last edited:

McGrath is a good footballer but isn't in the same class as Clug.

Seems quite incredible now that both the Bombers and GWS passed up on Hugh in his draft year as he was considered the consensus #1 pick since at least the U18 champs and possibly before.

The trade we did with GWS to let go our pick 2 for 3 (and 16?) was a masterstroke, snagging Hugh at 3 and Berry (eventually at 17 I think)

The Lions drafting team was reported as rating Hugh as easily the standout #1 pick of that draft and couldn't believe their luck at picking him up at 3

Win-win....for us:D
From memory, I thought we knew GWS wanted McGrath then Taranto. We weren't sure on Essendon. We rated Clug then McGrath but if we missed Clug, were happy to slip to 3.

If Essendon took Clug, GWS got McGrath before us.
If Essendon took McGrath, GWS got Taranto and we still got our number 1 pick.

This is just my memory of the rumours at the time - couple of ways I could be wrong.

Job done - let's move on.

Hope McStay is not too bad although it may have been Xrays he was going for as well as a scan, it sure looked very tender. Hippy will have to come straight back in now and work with Payne for a few weeks.

pretty ugly game to watch with how hard west coast flooded their backline but you take wins like that anyday of the week. clug, adams and neale were standouts for me, but was super impressed with ah chee whenever he got the pill as well.

only real negatives are dan going down and having to listen to underwood and derm for 2 hours. hope its not too bad of an injury
Underwood's voice has taken commentator grating to a whole new level - back to mute for me.

The good: McCluggage a class above took control when things were drifting.

Liked Adams and Answerths games too.

The bad: the fwd line selection next week will be interesting

The ugly: the umpiring both ways was atrocious. The guy, the girl and the one transitioning all need some education in the word consistency.

The really fn annoying: Please never, ever put Kelli Underwood on our games again. She spoke about Rugby League on more than one occasion and i swear a couple of times she forgot which team was which. Why do we have to ENDURE her and i mean endure.

Haven't watched the replay yet but at the game it was a very lacklustre uninspiring spectacle, even the the crowd wasn't up and about as usual, comes with the pre game expectation of an easy win I suppose.. you can't complain about a 1st gear 75 point win though.

McCluggage was silk, must be AA this year and hopefully a Norm Smith in late September.
Answerth and Starcevich were rocks down back.
That bloke Ah Chee is a very good footballer.

Move on to the Crows next week and lets keep banking those wins.

As long as Dan's not out for too long injuries force changes and these can be beneficial in the long term. Payne now gets a longer run up forward, He has looked a prospect down back and now we will see what he can do up forward.

Remember Bradshaw who was very good at either end.

I did forget to mention how much I enjoyed the commentary team explaining how the Lion's rejigged their forward setup to compensate for McStay's departure and how well it performed ... I only wish they could have spent a bit more time explaining Darling's role on the wing :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was glaringly obvious at the game that West Coast’s whole mindset was to simply not be blown away, to avoid humiliation. That club can deal with the cultural consequences that follow when that mindset becomes engrained. We did what we had to do.

Their defensive setup and the weather made for an uninspiring game but we were never going to be too troubled, despite the early score line seeming to make it look close. They simply held back the tide for a while.

McCluggage was outstanding, Rayner continues to grow, Ah Chee had some exceptionally important touches. I liked Lester’s game - unshowy, calm and self-sacrificing for the team as always. Just good to know he can be called up through the season like this when needed.

I think Payne will require patience with the loss of McStay. Interesting that people now anguishing over the loss of McStay were critical of him three or four years ago, myself included. I think Payne might now be where McStay was then. It reinforces the notion that player development is not linear, they take time to reach their potential and it is not all smooth steady progression.

Special mentions to the following three players for their work defensively last night -

• McCluggage 10 tackles
  • Answerth 8 tackles
  • Zorko 8 tackles

Hasn't been talked about in great depth thus far this season, however, Answerth has an outstanding work rate defensively. Works his backside off to chase, pressure and tackle when the opposition are moving forward.

Zorko looks back to his best, I forgot how elite he is at balancing between offensive and defensive mode in the midfield, 26 damaging possessions and 8 tackles the other way. Brilliant.

McCluggage played the perfect game. 26 possessions and 4 goals on the offensive side and 10 tackles on the defensive side.

I'm not a fan of Payne playing fwd. Have said so on many occasions. I've believed he should just play and focus on his back craft. Last night changed my mind. He offers much more than Fullerton I think. Can jump, crash a pack, get the ball to ground, is very mobile, adds great fwd defensive pressure. Well worth sticking with, working on. Someone mentioned Bradshaw earlier in this thread and his ability to play both ends of the ground and do both very well. Last night showed a real possibility that Payne could be the same. I am converted to the idea of a Bradshaw like role for Jack. He will eventually settle as a back I think, where Bradshaw settled as a fwd. From last night he has certainly jumped Fullerton in the fwd cue.

Good win by the boys, hope McStay is ok. I thought the eagles put up a spirited performance but a couple of those eagles should have hung em up a while ago. Payne looked promising, just needs some coaching from Robo about desperation. Great to see Lester playing his usual solid game

I liked Payne's game last night. In terms of goals scored it does not look enchanting. However looks can be deceiving. He showed promise and potential and for a first game playing a tall forward role he did not disappoint and look out of his depth. In fact quite the opposite. From my perspective it alleviated the pressure on the club re: Dan McStay's contract status. Should Dan decide to take the free agency option and leave we may have just found ourselves a perfect replacement. It may turn out to be a smooth transition without too much fuss from Dan to Jack.

I'm not a fan of Payne playing fwd. Have said so on many occasions. I've believed he should just play and focus on his back craft. Last night changed my mind. He offers much more than Fullerton I think. Can jump, crash a pack, get the ball to ground, is very mobile, adds great fwd defensive pressure. Well worth sticking with, working on. Someone mentioned Bradshaw earlier in this thread and his ability to play both ends of the ground and do both very well. Last night showed a real possibility that Payne could be the same. I am converted to the idea of a Bradshaw like role for Jack. He will eventually settle as a back I think, where Bradshaw settled as a fwd. From last night he has certainly jumped Fullerton in the fwd cue.
I think the same. Fullarton nowhere in Paynes class and Payne not afraid to contacting opposition. I thought Paynes defnesive at ground was really good to particularly when he was outpositioned by the very experienced Eagles tall defenders and he spoiled a niumber of times etc. Watched the ressies yesterday and Fullarton I thought didnt do anything outstanding at that level.

Cant forget the umpiring; atrocious. For both sides. a few of our players were caught with obvious HTB's or incorrect disposal and no free to WCE; same for us to. Seriously why are they persisting with that lady ump? She just does not have a clue, appears to guess a lot of the time, is terrinbly inconsistentnd you can go on. At different stages, frees were not paid to our boys at times that a WCE players actions were dangerous, Payne being pushed under ball, Rich having his head taken off. I honestly think both teams should be aggrived at the sub standard umpiring the afl is offering up and yet they keep saying to respect them. For what? If players make mistakes, which they do they can be dropped or discipleined. Nothing happens to the umps. Ive seen a few games where this lady ump is on and its the same every game, just terrible and not up to it so why keep flogging a dead horse and protecting her. TO be fair, you could say the same about the male umps last night - clueless for both teams and no idea what HTB is - Charlie cleraly handballs the ball is HTB.

Also at the ground, why was Charlie freed against for throwing a shoe away. I mean what is that free?

On another note we got some beautiful flowers - very nice touch from the club xo

Eagles played everyone apart from Darling (Commenters only just picked that up :) ) in our forward 50
They had 3 premiership backs and we were missing all our best 22 talls for basically all the game.
Which meant they marked or we brought the ball to ground to the scrum.
I think Payne did well bringing the ball down happy for him another week. So too Fort.
People might say we needed to lower the eyes and hit a target..
When there are 17 players in your forward line not many gaps. Although we did have a Clugg who can find a gap where none are :)
Should I mention again how great a game Darling did running between both sides of the ground for 10 touches :)
Was really bad listening to the game.

Nup. The main thing we want from the umpires is consistency. I find 'consistently terrible' better than 'inconsistently applying the rules differently to different teams'. At least tonight if you saw a free, you know it wasn't going to be paid, and when the whistle went, it was a 50/50 who was receiving it.
IMO you are never going to get umpire consistency because we have 3 umpires controlling the game.
I have given up on consistency in the game with the umpires because you will always get different interpretations with 3 of them.
How on earth do we get the inconsistency with the MRO ( Michael Christian) when he is the person doing it.
Got buckleys getting consistency with 3 umpires then.

I do feel Eleni gets unfairly targeted because of obvious reasons - the most ‘obvious’ of course is that she stands out so each and every decision she makes or doesn’t make gets scrutinised.

Razor Ray and Leigh Fisher also suffer from this as they are more recognisable. The same with Dean Margetts in the west - although he was just openly corrupt and used to wear his Eagles pyjamas to bed.

At the end of the day though Eleni is just not up to standard. It’s almost as if she needs to find a free kick in every confrontation between two opposing players and just makes incorrect calls. But then she’ll miss the most blatant HtB, holding, blocking calls.

She’s certainly not on her own though. The number 5 from last night (Leigh Haussen) also made some howlers.

It was a sub standard group of umpires, with a sub standard commentary team, for a sub standard game of football.

Special mentions to the following three players for their work defensively last night -

• McCluggage 10 tackles
  • Answerth 8 tackles
  • Zorko 8 tackles

Hasn't been talked about in great depth thus far this season, however, Answerth has an outstanding work rate defensively. Works his backside off to chase, pressure and tackle when the opposition are moving forward.

Zorko looks back to his best, I forgot how elite he is at balancing between offensive and defensive mode in the midfield, 26 damaging possessions and 8 tackles the other way. Brilliant.

McCluggage played the perfect game. 26 possessions and 4 goals on the offensive side and 10 tackles on the defensive side.
Tom berry 5 tackles in 53% game time

Back