Review Round 8, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than his shots at goal, I don't recall one kick from Tom that didn't go straight to an Eagle.
I was disappointed for Tommy - he wasn't happy with his own performance either. So much pressure to perform in a difficult role and no real opportunity to adjust to the heightened tempo of AFL. He really needs a run of games to get some continuity otherwise it will be a recurring pattern of a game here and there and no real opportunity to develop into the decent AFL footballer that he can be.

I was disappointed for Tommy - he wasn't happy with his own performance either. So much pressure to perform in a difficult role and no real opportunity to adjust to the heightened tempo of AFL. He really needs a run of games to get some continuity otherwise it will be a recurring pattern of a game here and there and no real opportunity to develop into the decent AFL footballer that he can be.
Indeed....we wouldn't want another Keays situation.

Other than his shots at goal, I don't recall one kick from Tom that didn't go straight to an Eagle.
I remember specifically two go to Eagles defenders, but both were 'only just' cut off, and 0.1 second difference and it was a brilliant kick that opened up play. Fages always said he wanted players to take that kick. For a guy on the fringes, it was good to see him have the confidence to try them. Wasn't a perfect game by any stretch, but a lot of promise. He's improved, and I'd love for them to give him a couple of weeks in the 1s.

Not one dissent free/50m paid on Saturday night despite numerous examples of the very things that were getting penalised a few weeks ago. Has the pendulum swung back to some sort of common sense normalcy?
I predict it will randomly be pulled out in two rounds and be a major talking point again

Yep, very difficult to get into the groove of senior footy without a decent run of games, Tom and Dev are both OOC at the end of the season, IMO really important that we keep them and Ashcroft on as long term replacements for Zorko(32), Robbo(33 next month), Lyons(30 next year) and Neale(29 in 2 weeks), whether they want to stick around waiting for an opportunity here or move elsewhere is the question.

Indeed....we wouldn't want another Keays situation.

In incredibly happy Keays is a shining star of our game. He's a great footballer not just in his team but across the entire AFL.

The only caveat to that is he is a great footballer, playing as a star on a team that is not playing selfless, team first brand of football. It's taken years for our similar players to become great team players -

example Charlie. He has been a champion player for years, across different teams but it's only now that he has taken his game to the next level by putting the team first and focusing just as much effort on selfless plays.

Example wing players whose job is to run up and down the wing all day, and who will never accumulate touches.

McStay whose job has mostly been to feed the ball down to the small forwards who get the glory of the goal.

Lachie whose quick thinking is constantly feeding the ball to players in better positions

Keays doesn't need those skills yet because he is doing a lot of heavy lifting (brilliantly) for a team with a lot of underperforming players. Jury is still out on whether he can develop into the type of player that can sacrifice his own game for the team. It's a tough change for players but has to happen to get a flag.

Players have to override their lifelong developed instinct to get in and get the ball. Especially hard for inside mids where it's been see ball, get ball, be the game winner.

The culture in Aus sports commentary is to keep talking and try to appear smarter than the morons watching.

It's totally unnecessary in footy on TV where the action is fluid and changeable and what you're really looking for is an explanation to the chaos which is plain to see to all eyes. Not a description of the chaos. You need a Richie Benaud or a John Arlott who could sum up what just happened and why ,or why it's beyond reason, in a few lucid words.

The nutjobs they have on Channe 7 and Foxtel are pretty much disgusting to listen to , hard on the ear, butcher the English language , and roll out every bogan cliche as if they're reciting Shakespeare.

The truth is they're just not talented enough to do it justice. You can't produce a Bill Collins or a Phil Liggett out of thin air. They're rare . Bruce Mcavaney who was the most researched person I'd ever seen in the racing industry went nuts once he got on commercial television pandering to what he thought the mob wanted. And drove everyone as silly as he drove himself.

It's actually not an easy gig but most of them don't have the talent so they just keep talking with excessive hyperbole to cover up their lack of insight .
Volume rather than substance is pretty much the rule for anyone with a voice in AFL™️-world. Match-day emcees just shade TV commentators as the most unbearable.

Volume rather than substance is pretty much the rule for anyone with a voice in AFL™️-world. Match-day emcees just shade TV commentators as the most unbearable.
Its really bad at the Gabba nowdays. Just incessant noise and echo chambers thinking we need noise and girly shrills of screams which reminds me of this seen from a classic where most people around me including all the kids have similar reactions-

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In incredibly happy Keays is a shining star of our game. He's a great footballer not just in his team but across the entire AFL.

The only caveat to that is he is a great footballer, playing as a star on a team that is not playing selfless, team first brand of football. It's taken years for our similar players to become great team players -

example Charlie. He has been a champion player for years, across different teams but it's only now that he has taken his game to the next level by putting the team first and focusing just as much effort on selfless plays.

Example wing players whose job is to run up and down the wing all day, and who will never accumulate touches.

McStay whose job has mostly been to feed the ball down to the small forwards who get the glory of the goal.

Lachie whose quick thinking is constantly feeding the ball to players in better positions

Keays doesn't need those skills yet because he is doing a lot of heavy lifting (brilliantly) for a team with a lot of underperforming players. Jury is still out on whether he can develop into the type of player that can sacrifice his own game for the team. It's a tough change for players but has to happen to get a flag.

Players have to override their lifelong developed instinct to get in and get the ball. Especially hard for inside mids where it's been see ball, get ball, be the game winner.
He has improved I agree but still does not put the team first often. He does my head in the way to takes a mark in kickable spots and turns his back on whats closer or even a better option and struts back to take his shot at goal regardless. In the 80's you would have been dragged doing just that.

I do kind of agree but at the same time, have you been to the Gold Coast for games at all.
That is the most dull and dreary, atmospheric ground I have ever endured.

There are many global sporting moments that have benefited from having good play-by-play calling attached.

I generally believe Australian sports have by far the worst play-by-play callers on national TV, while also having some great talent on radio. It's the Australian schtick that "good" play-by-play calling is more for radio and TV calling is more about on-air personality, which is a shame.

It's a skill like any other and if you perfect it, it rightfully has its place. If you're half-ass with it, you get Derwayne and co.
Huddo is the only current play by play commentator that I actually enjoy listening to, his commentary is varied and versatile enough thats it's not stale and he doesn't have an annoying personality.

He has improved I agree but still does not put the team first often. He does my head in the way to takes a mark in kickable spots and turns his back on whats closer or even a better option and struts back to take his shot at goal regardless. In the 80's you would have been dragged doing just that.
I don't remember him doing that once in recent games MightyLions.

We must be watching a different player.

Its really bad at the Gabba nowdays. Just incessant noise and echo chambers thinking we need noise and girly shrills of screams which reminds me of this seen from a classic where most people around me including all the kids have similar reactions-

Stop it!

Or I'll launch into another tirade about the match day screaming banshees that hurt my ears and my head

Without a doubt , there was a bit of gentleman class about him , fantastic caller of the game, very easy to listen to.
I might be in the minority but I kind of like BT , he's not as bad as some say imo.

Agree.

He's the loveable class clown in the commentary ranks.

I really think he goes out of his way to ham it up and doesn't take himself too seriously.

He often makes a dour, uninteresting game quite enjoyable with his over the top style.

You never get...... "Andrews, Zorko, Coleman, handball to Neale, kicks it to Robinson......McCluggage, Lyons, back to Neale.....handball to Bailey.....kicks it to Mcstay.....long in to the forward line......Can someone take a mark?......YOU BETCHA.....DANIHER!!!!!.......awesome!!!!!!

There are a lot more dire callers than BT

Agree.

I really think he goes out of his way to ham it up and doesn't take himself too seriously.

He often makes a dour, uninteresting game quite enjoyable with his over the top style.

You never get...... "Andrews, Zorko, Coleman, handball to Neale, kicks it to Robinson......McCluggage, Lyons, back to Neale.....handball to Bailey.....kicks it to Mcstay.....long in to the forward line......Can someone take a mark?......YOU BETCHA.....DANIHER!!!!!.......awesome!!!!!!

I dislike him for many aspects of his commentary, but the fact that he uses the self-coined term "chiseller" as if it were common footy vernacular and then proceeds to misuse it for a well-weighted kick should be reason enough.

Huddo is the only current play by play commentator that I actually enjoy listening to, his commentary is varied and versatile enough thats it's not stale and he doesn't have an annoying personality.
It helps that he actually likes the Lions.

Agree.

Exactly, that was a pretty good randition of BT by the way.
Richo and co love to take the mickey with him and he loves it, has a sense of humour and as you say hams it up.
Bit of fun at the end of the day.

Back