Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Hawks put in a stinker v Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone seen this stat before ?

Pretty weird. Doesn’t factor in the fact we’ve beaten North twice early in the last 3 seasons when the ladder hadn’t really set itself yet, and also the win against the Crows in Launceston last year after their hot start.

Would be nice to win those games tho fk me

I have more concerns about Gunston than Bruest.

The small forward role is one of an opportunist, they need to take their chances when they get them and Breust generally still does that.

Gunston is playing from behind a lot, he can’t get separation on a lead and he is missing easy shots on goal.
Fair enough but personally I would prefer Gunston in the side than Breust at present. Just my opinion but concede that both are missing easy set shots. My point on Breust was more on second efforts as in chasing, tackling so would like to see as an opportunist such as Brockman and / or Butler given a go at present.

I too noticed on kickins. For the most games this year there were terrible kick-ins and no plan as to how to do it. Yesterday at one time Impey was holding the ball and waiting for ages to kick-in as if he was on prayer. Luckily nobody came to tackle him. By the way why is he doing the kick ins?
Felt the team was coached poorly too esterday. 😢
Kickins do my head in. One of the rare times in a game when you know exactly who will have the footy and where and the best play you come up with is a short kick to a dead pocket. Achieving what? Next kick down the line to a pack or back across the goal to whence it came. Bombers kickouts were 50m to a free player and off they went.
I saw so much of Hawks 2020-21 and little of 2022 last night. Switching for switching sake and short kicks to a pocket from kickins

I have more concerns about Gunston than Bruest.

The small forward role is one of an opportunist, they need to take their chances when they get them and Breust generally still does that.

Gunston is playing from behind a lot, he can’t get separation on a lead and he is missing easy shots on goal.
Gunston's issue isn't anything bar his kicking atm, his field kicks have been elite, his kicking for goal has been too inconsistent.

You're not "not getting seperation, playing from behind" if you have 6 shots on goal.

He kicked 2.4 and 0.3 last week, very gettable ones too.

Looking to the box hill game today to see who is hungriest for a promotion. Brockman, Downey, Long, Phillips, Jeka, Butler, Serong - whoever has a standout game could be promoted.

My Takeaways
-Callow's hands look elite.
-CMac looks a million dollars
-Will Day will be dirty on himself when watching the game back
-the Poowong junior football development system should be studied in fine detail, amazing how good Jai is in hitting targets
-Finn looks more likely by the week
-mid season draft -> a ruckman is needed
-Mitch should consider moving Gunston and Callow to the backline; instead play Jeka and Serong forward
-Worpel and Breust MIA
-desperately missing one more elite decoy key positon forward
-amazed that Maurice Rioli jnr went at 51
Callows hands are good but geez his kicking needs some work .

Gunston's issue isn't anything bar his kicking atm, his field kicks have been elite, his kicking for goal has been too inconsistent.

You're not "not getting seperation, playing from behind" if you have 6 shots on goal.

He kicked 2.4 and 0.3 last week, very gettable ones too.
On who? Heppell? Zerk-Thatcher?

He’s been underwhelming for a few weeks now, more so than Breust.

He played alot on alot of different players, 6 shots which could've and should've been 5/6 because alot of gettable ones were missed.

He had 0.3 last week against May, Lever and the Melbourne Defense.

The most memorable thing about Gunston aside from some insane snaps that have gone through this year, has been his ability to get into scoring position, and blow a really gettable chance.

It's like someone reprogrammed his brain leg connection, which given his back injury and implications for nerve injury is actually a possibility.

But to your point - he's not the guy who breaks away on the lead anymore, and his kicking has declined substantially.

Can still find space, mark and win a contest and play smart though - the number of gettable misses kind of proves this.

I had Heppell in the votes last night. Was outstanding.
There experienced guys all seemed to have very good games Heppell, 2MP , Parish , Merrett .

Ours didnt ....JOM probably the best. Thats the game right there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve certainly moved on from relying on Tom and JOM in the middle.

View attachment 1395976
In the second half when Mitchell and Omeara moved into the middle is when * got on top of us in there. Up until that point it was 12 to 4 centre clearances.

Though Lynch fading didn’t help.

I think many people have been deluded as to where we are in a rebuild - at the start.

We have a long way to go, and this result clearly shows that. I do not understand how people are suprised, but we will have results like these until the old, awful midfield group is pushed out. They are inconsistent, one-way runners with little dynamism between them.

It's a long road, and a rough result, but we're still slowly building towards something. Hopefully this will give Mitchell a clear indicator of personnel no longer worthy of the Brown and Gold in the mid to long term ...
it was against essenden............... notwithstanding what you said we came close to beating the Dees and we lose to this rag tag bunch. I have no words as i ddidnt see or listen to the game.. my scedule had it on sunday arvo at 4.35.. perhaps a good thing

Breust and Gunston 4.11 between them in the last two weeks. Both gotta lift in this department and we win a lot more games. Accuracy when games are in balance is the most important stat imo.
Accuracy has been off. But they’re both averaging like 1 goal assist and 6-7 score involvements a game. They are massive to our forward line cohesion and potency.

Saw a headline about the baby bombers and thought what a crock, anyone know the average age and games played stats between the teams?
Very similar! Of course 5 changes to a team is disruptive. But it’s not like they were horrendously under strength like WCE have been.

Attachments

• 7418D7BE-0A31-42A4-A76D-31A4FA756526.jpeg
    7418D7BE-0A31-42A4-A76D-31A4FA756526.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 82
I have consigned this game to the deep dark memory where I keep the last quarter of the 1984 GF tucked away.
Not quite that deep, hopefully.

There's every other horrible football memory...and then theres 1984

Saw a headline about the baby bombers and thought what a crock, anyone know the average age and games played stats between the teams?

1652053645576.png

Both sides went in very young.

Game aside, I’am super pissed off. About 1 min to go in the game and I get right hooked standing in isle 37. Not gonna lie I’am shitty as. Police form and come around me like I’am the bad guy. Check id ect; I tell them what hopened and they say move along.
I don’t care about the hit because it was weak as piss.l but I was furious
View attachment 1396022

Both sides went in very young.
Of course if you discount our sub Shiels ,age 31 who did not get a run ,then the average age and games of our playing group comes down significantly.

You listened to the commentary team too much last night….

Who did Essendon really have out? Waterman, Guelfi are in and out like a John Holmes movie .

Stringer and Ridley are good players but played in 6 straight losses.

Wingard McEvoy CJ Lewis etc are better than the lot that missed out last night for Essendon so don’t get fooled by the media crap .
Quick count 11 first rounders plus Dylan Shiel versus 5 first rounders plus JOM
Seven top 10 versus three
Six players taken after the second round versus twelve

Might be something about the elite end of the draft on the main board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back