Women's Footy Round 8, 2023 - Brisbane vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

She’s been very panicky this year . Today alone she did a few good things but at the same time cost 3 goals.

The first being the one on one loss with the missed tackle, the second being the fumble which led to her opponent getting it in front of goal and the third being the spoil of her team mate when she should have stayed down.

Really need her to kick on which is what I expected this year, as she was so good last year with her clean ground skills and skill full kicking , but that seems gone this year. Heaps of fumbling etc still a good player but was expecting her to become one of the best intercept defenders in the afl like a jake lever type

My understanding is that Grider has been stretched pretty thin these days. The backline has had to be somewhat rebuilt on the fly to account for needing Koenen higher up the ground, no Lutkins any more, Campbell having to mostly take the best tall forward plus a fair bit of inexperience back there. It is one of the reasons that Dakota goes back a few times late in a quarter to lend a hand with her size. We are fairly seriously stretched in defence.

Grider is still a top ten interceptor, just having to play a more supporting role at the back than previously where she had the luxury of running off her player a lot more. And our whole backline is seriously undersized against most teams. Dunne is about the tallest we have and then Campbell.

As a very casual observer of the AFLW I probably watch 3-4 games a year.

You can’t fault the endeavour or tackling of the women’s teams but I struggle watching their skills. Some of these kicks are horrendous. Just bang on the boot and hope for the best.
I think you just get used to the level.

If footy was an international sport and we regularly watched teams full of world-class athletes playing I reckon our AFL comp would suddenly look very NBL level.

I 100% understand how you see it the way you do, but as someone who has been following the girls from the start, I see the opposite. To me the skill errors are almost transparent whereas the passages where it all comes together are magic.

It’s not going to be for everyone, but I genuinely love the gritty, hard-as-a-cat’s-head style our girls play, and I feel like I’d be missing out on so much if I didn’t follow them.

I've probably said this before, but watching top level AFL footy I can most of time predict what is going to happen before it does which tends to bore after a while.

Because of the at-times agricultural disposal and the resulting bounce of the ball, AFLW is a lot harder to predict in that regard.

My understanding is that Grider has been stretched pretty thin these days. The backline has had to be somewhat rebuilt on the fly to account for needing Koenen higher up the ground, no Lutkins any more, Campbell having to mostly take the best tall forward plus a fair bit of inexperience back there. It is one of the reasons that Dakota goes back a few times late in a quarter to lend a hand with her size. We are fairly seriously stretched in defence.

Grider is still a top ten interceptor, just having to play a more supporting role at the back than previously where she had the luxury of running off her player a lot more. And our whole backline is seriously undersized against most teams. Dunne is about the tallest we have and then Campbell.
Yeah, she is suffering Harris Andrews syndrome. Her ‘form issues’ are related to what is happening in other parts of the ground.

It’s a development year and the team’s weaknesses are being exposed when we are under pressure. Our defence which has always looked so structured and composed suddenly looks slow, undersized and one step behind the play.

Yeah, she is suffering Harris Andrews syndrome. Her ‘form issues’ are related to what is happening in other parts of the ground.

It’s a development year and the team’s weaknesses are being exposed when we are under pressure. Our defence which has always looked so structured and composed suddenly looks slow, undersized and one step behind the play.

Sorry is this the same team that's 4th and has beaten 2 of the top 3 teams?

One reason I love starcevich is that he does not sugar coat things he acknowledges despite our wins there is a gap between us and Adelaide and Melbourne. Adelaide was the better team actually just very inefficient they had better opportunities and looked more skilled then us.

However the girls did manage to scrap it out and get us over the line ( starcevich commented on this ). However not sure you can rely on this consistently to get us over the line

But we do have some great development from players like dunne and Lilly postlewaite. Also Dawes is growing into the season only issue is that our midfield is so undersized with both ally and Dawes , which means they are fighting above their weight division.

Really missing that big mid like bates who can get us first use of the ball. One reason we are throwing bree in their but that hurts our defence like others have said

But we do have some great development from players like dunne and Lilly postlewaite. Also Dawes is growing into the season only issue is that our midfield is so undersized with both ally and Dawes , which means they are fighting above their weight division.

Really missing that big mid like bates who can get us first use of the ball. One reason we are throwing bree in their but that hurts our defence like others have said

I feel like Orla was built for that role but her footy IQ isn't quite there yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think they’re getting much out of Monahan either. Not sure if there is a replacement they could bring in

While Monaghan isn’t the fastest player she does often position herself well to stop opposition movement. She can get found out by a speedy small forward but she isn’t alone there.
She is another one who has been put right under the pump by opposition teams being able to move the ball in faster.

Back