Prediction Round 8, 2024: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's a good question haha - if anyone can put it into words, you'd be doing us a favour.
For mine, it's actually playing with a tenacity and intensity that would/should be expected of a professional AFL team rather than the soft, outside, undisciplined, "we'll show up somewhere between 9-13 times a year when we feel like it" sort of team that we have been haha.

But again, I'm not sure of this extra mayo. The Wright incident stands out as it got a lot of attention. In that same game, Draper lined up and bumped someone in a marking contest that was clearly late and I thought was too far.

But that's genuinely been it. Scott mentioned the 'edge' once in his press conference in the game before round 2 against Sydney. Then those 2 incidents happened, and Papley and Heeney had a whine about it post-game. Since then, no-one from Essendon has said a word about it, but every man, woman and dog in the media has obviously run with it on a weekly basis. I get it, Scott was the one who said the word that one time in a press conference, so he's brought it on himself, but it's very much overblown.

To me, it's as simple as "Hey, you want to be a professional AFL footballer and get a game, this is a non-negotiable. That you come with a defensive mindset every week, not 40%, 70% or 85% of the time. And you do tackle to stick the tickle, not any of those one arm, hand grabbing the jumper easily brushed off weak tackles." 4th quarter of ANZAC day was a great example. Equivalent game last year, Collingwood ran all over us and we didn't give a yelp. Last week, very competitive and even contest. We've been fairly consistent in delivering that effort 6 out of 7 games so far. Port made an embarrassment out of us.
i see a lot more mongeral in West Coast this year than the past 2, i much prefer it to the alternative!

i would be ok with that - Chesser is struggling and needs a few weeks in the magoos
Reckon it's less Chesser and more the role he's been asked to play.

Nobody playing that role has been used to any effect this season whatsoever. It's the result of moving the ball forward from contests as directly as possible.

Counter this with Freo, for example. Tons of ball for their mids but they just share it around between the arcs. Last weekend was probably the first time they played very direct for a full game.

Reckon it's less Chesser and more the role he's been asked to play.

Nobody playing that role has been used to any effect this season whatsoever. It's the result of moving the ball forward from contests as directly as possible.

Counter this with Freo, for example. Tons of ball for their mids but they just share it around between the arcs. Last weekend was probably the first time they played very direct for a full game.
i must admit, i often wonder in the games what Chesser's role is - he is floating around the midfield then roams right up to the goal square. I think he himself doesnt know what to do.

Reckon the changes tonight will be

Out: Hedwards, Chesser, some random injury we don’t know about
In: Barrass, Reid, Long
Sub: Brockman or Long
Emergencies: Hedwards, Chesser, Gaff
No injury but it’ll be Brockman and Sheed out.
Gaff in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hints of the slow it down, kick it sideways last week, we’ve got to lose that s**t mentality permanently. Welcome back Harley.
Harley dead set always has a go, that’s the best thing about him, just always gives it a red hot crack. Inspires others to do the same.
Yes I noticed that too but I think the reason for that was because we were getting such a pantsing out of the middle and our backs were being overworked, we wanted to control the ball for a bit to offer some respite.
I love it when we run and gun this year but you can't do that the whole game and especially so when your drivers of half back have their arse hanging out from spending 10 minutes straight tackling and chasing tail.

Yes I noticed that too but I think the reason for that was because we were getting such a pantsing out of the middle and our backs were being overworked, we wanted to control the ball for a bit to offer some respite.
I love it when we run and gun this year but you can't do that the whole game and especially so when your drivers of half back have their arse hanging out from spending 10 minutes straight tackling and chasing tail.
yeah the fact that we pegged them back to three goals in the last quarter led me to believe that us missing Barrass was worse than missing Harley

yeah the fact that we pegged them back to three goals in the last quarter led me to believe that us missing Barrass was worse than missing Harley
Both hurt but I thought Hedwards did a bloody great job so minimised the Barrass loss.
Not having Harley in the guts pumping the ball forward and putting campaigners on their arse left, right and centre was a bigger loss IMO. Might have gone close with him in there but Im glad the club put his long term future ahead of a chance to win a game in a season where finals aren't really in the equation.

Just watched highlights of the 1994 Grand Final because I'm sick at home and why not.

Whatever happened to Shane Bond? Played 21 games in 1994, kicked a couple of goals in the Grand Final, then played 10 games in 1995, three in 1996, then traded to Port.

Seemed to have a bright future then went nowhere.

Although ... His career at Port ended in 2000, then Shane Bond made his debut for New Zealand in 2001. Both born in 1975. The plot thickens.

Just watched highlights of the 1994 Grand Final because I'm sick at home and why not.

Whatever happened to Shane Bond? Played 21 games in 1994, kicked a couple of goals in the Grand Final, then played 10 games in 1995, three in 1996, then traded to Port.

Seemed to have a bright future then went nowhere.

Although ... His career at Port ended in 2000, then Shane Bond made his debut for New Zealand in 2001. Both born in 1975. The plot thickens.
Didn't we great a greap pick out of bond to Port and we traded someone else with him? Sekora? No idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back