AFLW Round 8, AFLW Season 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, 14 October

6.30pm AEDT: Carlton v Richmond, Ikon Park (7mate: Melb, Syd, Adel, Bris, Perth)

7.30pm AEST: Brisbane v Adelaide, Metricon Stadium (7mate: Melb, Adel, Bris)

Saturday, 15 October

12.40pm ACDT: Port Adelaide v North Melb., Alberton Oval (7mate: Adel)

3.10pm AEDT: Essendon v Sydney, Ikon Park (7two: Syd)

5.40pm AEDT: Geelong v West Coast, Ikon Park (Seven: Perth)

6.40pm AEST: Gold Coast v Melbourne, Metricon Stadium (7two: Bris)

Sunday, 16 October

1.10pm AEDT: W. Bulldogs v St Kilda, Mars Stadium (Seven: Melb)

3.10pm AEDT: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, Henson Park (7mate: Syd)

2.10pm AWST: Fremantle v Collingwood, Fremantle Oval (Seven: Perth)

CURRENTLY SUSPENDED PLAYERS
  • Elise O'Dea, Carlton, one match to serve from Round Seven.

PLAYER MILESTONES:

50 games – Jenna Bruton (North Melbourne)
50 games – Daisy Pearce (Melbourne)
50 games – Kerryn Peterson (Carlton)

25 games – Janelle Cuthbertson (Fremantle)
25 games – Sarah Hartwig (Western Bulldogs)
25 games – Niamh Kelly (Adelaide Crows)
25 games – Sophie Molan (Richmond)
25 games – Charlotte Wilson (Melbourne)

COACHING MILESTONES
  • Nathan Burke (Western Bulldogs) is set to reach 400 total games played and coached. Burke has coached 33 AFLW matches, played 323 AFL matches, 11 state-of-origin matches, two international rules games, and 31 pre-season games.
  • If Collingwood defeats Fremantle, it will be Steve Symonds' 25th win in AFLW history.
KEY STATS:

• Daisy Pearce (Melbourne) is set to become the second AFLW player to captain 50 games. Pearce holds the record for most wins as an AFLW captain (37) and was the first player to win back-to-back club best and fairests alongside Emma Kearney (Western Bulldogs, currently at North Melbourne).
  • Jesse Wardlaw (Brisbane Lions, 12 goals) and Ash Woodland (Adelaide Crows, 11 goals) are the Season Seven top two goal-scorers and will go head-to-head on Friday night.
  • If Richmond defeats Carlton on Friday, it will be their sixth consecutive win. Fremantle (11), Adelaide Crows, North Melbourne (eight), Melbourne (seven), Brisbane and Collingwood (six) are the only clubs to have won more than five consecutive games. Before Season Seven, Richmond had never won three consecutive AFLW games.
  • Erin McKinnon (St Kilda) could become the first AFLW player to reach 1,000 hit outs. She is currently on 975.
  • If Richmond defeat Carlton, it will be the first time they have done so in AFLW history.
  • If the Geelong Cats defeat the West Coast Eagles, it will be the first time the club has won three consecutive games in AFLW history.
  • If the Western Bulldogs defeat St Kilda on Sunday, it will be the club's 25th win in AFLW history.
  • Brisbane Lions vs Adelaide Crows will be the 350th AFLW game.
PRIDE ROUND

Round Eight marks the third occasion the NAB AFLW competition will hold a dedicated Pride Round.

Pride Round aims to promote and support the diversity and inclusion of LGBTQI+ communities and families, and acknowledges the AFL’s journey to being a more inclusive sport.

For the first time, all 18 AFLW clubs will wear specially designed Pride Round guernseys.

All Field and Boundary umpires will wear rainbow-coloured sweatbands, while Goal umpires will exchange their white flags for 'Progress Flags' to acknowledge trans-visibility and people of colour.

Ground signage will also be updated to celebrate the round with the NAB logo adopting a rainbow theme, while the 50-metre arcs will also be painted rainbow for the occasion.

2022 NAB AFLW SEASON SEVEN RISING STAR NOMINEES

R1 – Abbey Dowrick (Port Adelaide) and Paige Scott (Essendon)
R2 – Abbie Ballard (Adelaide Crows) and Daisy D'Arcy (Gold Coast SUNS)
R3 – Hannah Ewings (Port Adelaide) and Rylie Wilcox (Western Bulldogs)
R4 – Montana Ham (Sydney Swans) and Keeley Skepper (Carlton)
R5 – Jasmine Fleming (Hawthorn) and Sarah Lakay (West Coast Eagles)
R6 – Emily Pease (GWS GIANTS) and Ella Roberts (West Coast Eagles)
R7 – Charlotte Thomas (West Coast Eagles) and Lucy Wales (Hawthorn)

I'm tipping:
Rich by 12
Adel by 3
NM by 30
Ess by 24
Geel by 18
Melb by 50
WB by 6
GWS by 9
Frem by 1

Collingwood probably just need one win to secure top 4, but I don't think they're gonna get it. The Dockers' very recent form has been better, and they've been on a steady upward trajectory since their shocker vs the Cats. Not sure I'd back them on the road, but I'll say they just get over the line in WA.

Brisbane and Adelaide also a bit of a coin flip... not because they're both playing so well. Quite clearly Melbourne have been the best team at maintaining a consistent high level of football throughout the season, while the Lions and Crows have shown more than a hint of complacency. It would seem, though, that Adelaide are better at flicking the switch when it's really necessary.

I hope you’re right about Freo but word is that we will be playing train ons this week so surely we can’t beat a top 4 side with that many out.

I'm tipping:
Rich by 12
Adel by 3
NM by 30
Ess by 24
Geel by 18
Melb by 50
WB by 6
GWS by 9
Frem by 1

Collingwood probably just need one win to secure top 4, but I don't think they're gonna get it. The Dockers' very recent form has been better, and they've been on a steady upward trajectory since their shocker vs the Cats. Not sure I'd back them on the road, but I'll say they just get over the line in WA.

I think Collingwood still needs 2 wins to cover off Geelong. Geelong should smash West Coast and Sydney, they can easily pass Collingwoods %, Pies have 3 tough games. Richmond could also win out and get to 8-2 if get past Carlton, should beat GWS at home, then will obviously be huge underdog against North, but its possible.

Last edited:
I think Collingwood still needs 2 wins to cover off Geelong. Geelong should smash West Coast and Sydney, they can easily pass Collingwoods %, Pies have 3 tough games. Richmond could also win out and get to 8-2 if get past Carlton, should beat GWS at home, then will obviously be huge underdog against North, but its possible.
A lot of things are possible. There are 9 teams that can make top 4, if I've counted correctly.

But yes going through it now, I did misjudge Collingwood's points for-against differential, so you're right that it's not unreasonable to think Geelong will have a higher % than them after R10. The Pies winning 2 of their last 3 would likely be enough, but so too would winning 1 by a big margin and losing 2 narrowly.

Brisbane and Adelaide also a bit of a coin flip... not because they're both playing so well. Quite clearly Melbourne have been the best team at maintaining a consistent high level of football throughout the season, while the Lions and Crows have shown more than a hint of complacency. It would seem, though, that Adelaide are better at flicking the switch when it's really necessary.
Adelaide's ability to not panic under scoreboard pressure and win games from behind has been very impressive.

At risk of busting open this can of worms, I'm glad this forum didn't go into a meltdown over the Zreika issue, like facebook, reddit, etc. I wonder if it's because people here are more focused on the football, so one person not playing is just eh, ok, GWS look slightly different this week. Whereas a lot of people up in arms about it aren't AFLW followers at all and are just looking for an opportunity to criticise the league, players, decisions in all directions etc. Anyway. That's all I want to say about that. Oh and that it's good that the statement was quite early so the conversations are now over and all the Pride Round stuff is just focused on Pride Round positivity.

Not the betting thread but... Brisbane are clear favourites to win tonight. I expected trepidation regarding the Dockers, bit surprising for the Crows to be going in at the same level of underdog. Beating the Lions like a drum in their previous encounter doesn't appear to have swayed anybody.

That result all but kills Carlton's season. They're already a win and significant percentage behind Gold Coast and the Bulldogs with both of those teams having at least one very winnable game left. Everything would have to go Carlton's way to make the finals from here but that seems really unlikely.

Should be a two-horse race between the Suns and Bulldogs for a top 8 position now.

Successful comeback from 26 points down, equals the AFLW record. Add it to the list!
A margin of 5+ goals and it's over.

3-4 goals and it's still possible, and seemingly getting more possible over time. I think 2021-present has had 7.3% of games feature comebacks (or close calls--i.e. final margin of less than a kick) from a 3+ goal margin, while the first three seasons was 4.2%.

Season 7
Essendon in R2 trailed by 22, lost by 1.
Carlton in R4 trailed by 19, drew the match.
Hawthorn in R5 trailed by 26, won by 4.
Hawthorn in R6 trailed by 18, won by 3.
W. Bulldogs in R6 trailed by 19, lost by 1.

Season 6
Adelaide in R6 trailed by 24, lost by 1.
Melbourne in R7 trailed by 23, won by 3 (against Brisbane).
W. Bulldogs in R7 trailed by by 24, drew the match.
Gold Coast in R8 trailed by 24, lost by 3 (the "Perkins miss" game).

Carlton in R4 trailed by 22, won by 5.
Fremantle in R7 trailed by 21, won by 4.
Collingwood in R7 trailed by 18, lost by 3.
Fremantle in R8 trailed by 27, lost by 5.
GWS Giants in R9 trailed by 18, drew the match.

Gold Coast in R3 trailed by 19, drew the match.
Carlton in R4 trailed by 18, won by 8.
North Melb. in R6 trailed by 18, won by 46.

Melbourne in R2 trailed by 20, lost by 4 (led by 15 early in Q4).
W. Bulldogs in R7 trailed by 28, lost by 3.

none

Melbourne in R2 trailed by 19, won by 19.
Carlton in R7 trailed by 24, drew the match.

Carlton, despite dominating, only led by a historically not-unassailable margin of 24 points at HT last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was great to see the Tiges play well last night and Stella Reid have her best game but it looked like Carlton didn’t know how to setup behind the contest or in front of it.
1 goal 3 in 3 quarters (?).
That isn’t going to win too many games if your expecting a bit of a shootout and there’s going to be 10-15 shots on goal each, especially against a Team coming off a few wins and in the top 8.
Harford playing Carlton’s highest goal scorer on the back flank when they have to win.
Till the last quarter…🤷‍♂️
It was a great effort by the Tiges to not give up but after quarter time Carlton looked like they didn’t know how to play together without the ball or believe in what they were doing.
Carlton didn’t stop trying but I think Harford buggered it up trying to be clever.

I will be interested to see if Koenen gets All-Australian recognition this year. Only one person in the whole entire world (me) had her in the team in 2021. Probably been better this season, and should be an easy pick given Grider's slow start.

Telling play of the night: Stevie-Lee Thompson under no pressure with a Laloifi-like turnover exiting D50. Ball comes back in, Smith halves the contest against Biddell. Racjic is there at the drop, looks to handball wide to where a teammate should be... but no, Biddell is lazy and 'helps' by just standing behind her opponent. Consequently Rajcic resorts to going back into traffic and Button gets hammered. Moral of the story: Racjic and Button are terrible?

Wow that's diabolical defending from Port
In front now so it can't have been that bad.

North Melbourne could keep the door open for Carlton if they lose this one to Port. In fact, North are in serious danger of missing the finals if they lose this one considering they have Collingwood next week and Richmond in the final round of the season.

Saturdays games all look very one sided. Rest of the round is decent though.
Port currently in front. Just goes to show you never know in footy. Any team can beat any other team on any given day.

In front now so it can't have been that bad.

North Melbourne could keep the door open for Carlton if they lose this one to Port. In fact, North are in serious danger of missing the finals if they lose this one considering they have Collingwood next week and Richmond in the final round of the season.

Port currently in front. Just goes to show you never know in footy. Any team can beat any other team on any given day.
Port had an absolute gifted run of umpiring, would've been a massive blowout if not for key decisions keeping it close early. I don't think Collingwood and Richmond will get near us, they've had really easy draws compared to ours.

Port had an absolute gifted run of umpiring, would've been a massive blowout if not for key decisions keeping it close early. I don't think Collingwood and Richmond will get near us, they've had really easy draws compared to ours.
Fair enough. Could be the case but Collingwood got within one kick of the Crows just a few weeks ago in their only loss this season and Richmond are on a hot streak of wins right now which included a win over Brisbane just a few weeks ago. As I'm sure you're aware, both the Crows and Lions have beaten the Kangaroos this season so I wouldn't be that confident if I were you but each to their own.

Fair enough. Could be the case but Collingwood got within one kick of the Crows just a few weeks ago in their only loss this season and Richmond are on a hot streak of wins right now which included a win over Brisbane just a few weeks ago. As I'm sure you're aware, both the Crows and Lions have beaten the Kangaroos this season so I wouldn't be that confident if I were you but each to their own.
The Adelaide game is the only one we lost convincingly, in the Brisbane game it could've easily gone either way and the decisive factor was our inaccurate goalkicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back