Preview Round 8 - Bloods vs GCS - Saturday 7 May @ 1:45 PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Stuart Dew - Nick Malceski Cup

Bloods 5th play Gold Coast Suns 14th

2022 round 08 swans gcs logo.jpg

Both teams are coming off a loss so both will be keen to have a win.

Date and Time: Saturday, 7 May at 1:45PM (GMT+10)

Odds (Sportsbet):
Sydney $1.20 GCS $4.60 (Gamble responsibly)
https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/afl
Weather:
Mostly sunny, 20 C
In lieu of Donza
Weather forecast for Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground
Match Centre:
Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club. All the latest news, videos, results and information.
Broadcast Details:
Foxtel, Kayo, 7Mate in NSW

Compare the Pair:
2022 round 08 Swans logo.jpg
● Ranked 2nd in Points Per Game
● Ranked 3rd in Goal Assists Per Game
● Ranked 1st in Clearances Per Game

2022 round 08 GCS logo.jpg
● Ranked 1st in Hitouts Per Game
● Ranked 4th in Inside 50s Per Game
● Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Hitouts Per Game Diff.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_comparison?team1_id=17&team2_id=24

Past Contests:

2021 round 23 @ Metricon Swans d. GCS 87 points (Franklin 6, Heeney 3, Papley 3, McLean 2, Wicks 2, he who will not be named 1, Hickey, Mills, Rowbottom 1 each)
2021 round 06 @ Metricon - Perhaps we will not discuss this loss.
GCS have only 2 wins at the SCG from 6 matches.

Injuries:
Harry Cunningham? (groin)
Dane Rampe? (limping during game, cork?)

The ifs and the buts

Patrick McCartin
if passes test or is managed - replaces Sam Reid?
if no PMc, Will Gould to debut.

Harry Cunningham
if injured, does Colin O’Riordan (although played only 3 quarters in the reserves, is he still managed?) or does Marc Sheather debut?

Tom Hickey (aka Ruck Jesus or RJ)
John Longmire in the post-match, mentioned the possibility of Peter Ladhams and Hickey playing together

Logan McDonald for Sam Reid?

If we go tall with Franklin and McDonald/Reid up forward and if we two rucks, will Hayden McLean be an out?

The Match Ups

The Mids

Touk Miller – oh how I would love to have Touk at the Swans. Hopefully Callum Mills can live up to the history of his surname and grind Touk Miller down.
The Bloods will have Noah Anderson, Lachlan Weller and Brendan Fiorini to also contend with, not to mention Matt Rowell.

Rucks

Hopefully we will have the dual combination of Tom Hickey and Peter Ladhams to wear down the dominance of the Sydney boy of Jarrod Witts (original club Sydney Uni).

The Backs

Levi Casboult and Mabior Choi have found a new lease on life after their move to GCS.
Paddy/Gould and Tom McCartin will need to cover them

The Forwards

We need
1. no long bombing into the forward line
2. our mids to lower their eyes and to look for players one on one
3. sorry Lance - :heart: your six goals but we need a spread of goal kickers
4. need our tall forwards to spread

Let’s call this another danger game?

By the end of the day, as the Sun(s) goes down, the swans will swarm and fly up.

2022 round 08 scg getty.jpg

Bloods by 36 points.

#AFLSwansSuns #ProudlySydney #GoBloods #bloods

Attachments

• 2022 round 08 scg getty.jpg
    2022 round 08 scg getty.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 37

Outs: Reid McLean Cunningham
Ins: PMcCartain Hickey McDonald

3 talls in for 2 talls and one small out. Campbell more TOG to cover Cunningham's role on Rankine or Ainsworth, both dangerous smalls. Oli to play in defence as well with JMac spending time down back.

McCartain direct swap for Reid. Hickey for McLean, allowing Ladhams to play forward / ruck. Forward line with Buddy, McDonald and Ladhams much more imposing than yesterday. If Hickey not quite there, tempted to give Sinclair a run. Big Cal has been in terrific form in reserves.

We might as well sit Cunningham out. Give him a chance to get better and he needs a break in games anyway before he gets any worse than he has been (and I say this as a fan of his.)

Means Lloyd gets another chance, but I'd play him up the ground and swap him with Florent. Lloyd is too much of a panic merchant right now to be in defence, Florent a much steadier presence on current form. (Who'd'a thunk that?!)

McDonald back in. Shame is that it probably needs to be at McLean's expense. I don't think McLean deserves to be dropped because of one bad game and he was doing better than McDonald. But I also think Ladhams has been better than McLean and if Hickey is back then we can't have three blokes who move like ruckmen in the same team. Need a mobile forward and I'm going with McDonald > Reid.

Rowbottom to the VFL so we can remember why we drafted him. He could do with remembering it too.

IN - McDonald, Hickey, P. McCartin
OUT - McLean, Reid, Cunningham, Rowbottom

Outs: Reid McLean Cunningham
Ins: PMcCartain Hickey McDonald

3 talls in for 2 talls and one small out. Campbell more TOG to cover Cunningham's role on Rankine or Ainsworth, both dangerous smalls. Oli to play in defence as well with JMac spending time down back.

McCartain direct swap for Reid. Hickey for McLean, allowing Ladhams to play forward / ruck. Forward line with Buddy, McDonald and Ladhams much more imposing than yesterday. If Hickey not quite there, tempted to give Sinclair a run. Big Cal has been in terrific form in reserves.
Big Cal says kidding right?

Two of our worst losses in recent memory have been against this mob.

Including a 40-point pantsing last year, where Touk had 16 in the FIRST BLOODY QUARTER!

I honestly don’t know who goes to Touk, but whoever it is - the matchup will just about decide the game.

This game has" DANGER" written all over it.For some reason we seem to struggle against GC,perhaps Dew still knows to much about our game plans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Stuart Dew - Nick Malceski Cup

Bloods 5th play Gold Coast Suns 14th

View attachment 1390109

Both teams are coming off a loss so both will be keen to have a win.

Date and Time: Saturday, 7 May at 1:45PM (GMT+10)

Odds (Sportsbet):
Sydney $1.20 GCS $4.60 (Gamble responsibly)
https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/afl
Weather:
Mostly sunny, 20 C
In lieu of Donza
Weather forecast for Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground
Match Centre:
Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club. All the latest news, videos, results and information.
Broadcast Details:
Foxtel, Kayo, 7Mate in NSW

Compare the Pair:
View attachment 1390116
● Ranked 2nd in Points Per Game
● Ranked 3rd in Goal Assists Per Game
● Ranked 1st in Clearances Per Game

View attachment 1390117
● Ranked 1st in Hitouts Per Game
● Ranked 4th in Inside 50s Per Game
● Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Hitouts Per Game Diff.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_comparison?team1_id=17&team2_id=24

Past Contests:

2021 round 23 @ Metricon Swans d. GCS 87 points (Franklin 6, Heeney 3, Papley 3, McLean 2, Wicks 2, he who will not be named 1, Hickey, Mills, Rowbottom 1 each)
2021 round 06 @ Metricon - Perhaps we will not discuss this loss.
GCS have only 2 wins at the SCG from 6 matches.

Injuries:
Harry Cunningham? (groin)
Dane Rampe? (limping during game, cork?)

The ifs and the buts

Patrick McCartin
if passes test or is managed - replaces Sam Reid?
if no PMc, Will Gould to debut.

Harry Cunningham
if injured, does Colin O’Riordan (although played only 3 quarters in the reserves, is he still managed?) or does Marc Sheather debut?

Tom Hickey (aka Ruck Jesus or RJ)
John Longmire in the post-match, mentioned the possibility of Peter Ladhams and Hickey playing together

Logan McDonald for Sam Reid?

If we go tall with Franklin and McDonald/Reid up forward and if we two rucks, will Hayden McLean be an out?

The Match Ups

The Mids

Touk Miller – oh how I would love to have Touk at the Swans. Hopefully Callum Mills can live up to the history of his surname and grind Touk Miller down.
The Bloods will have Noah Anderson, Lachlan Weller and Brendan Fiorini to also contend with, not to mention Matt Rowell.

Rucks

Hopefully we will have the dual combination of Tom Hickey and Peter Ladhams to wear down the dominance of the Sydney boy of Jarrod Witts (original club Sydney Uni).

The Backs

Levi Casboult and Mabior Choi have found a new lease on life after their move to GCS.
Paddy/Gould and Tom McCartin will need to cover them

The Forwards

We need
1. no long bombing into the forward line
2. our mids to lower their eyes and to look for players one on one
3. sorry Lance - :heart: your six goals but we need a spread of goal kickers
4. need our tall forwards to spread

Let’s call this another danger game?

By the end of the day, as the Sun(s) goes down, the swans will swarm and fly up.

View attachment 1390115

Bloods by 36 points.

#AFLSwansSuns #ProudlySydney #GoBloods #bloods
Just doing my duty.
Seriously cold and windy period coming up for us.
However Saturday 16 degrees. Windy. Sun.
Typically late May...June weather.

McCartin cant play we would get smashed pillar to post and rightly so if we play him early.

GCS without King dont really have the height to trouble us i suspect we will go in unchanged.

Unchanged?
Yeah, the Monday fixture might force him to miss another match. I think it's a 12-day protocol with concussions, and so as Saturday would be the 12th day, I presume he can't play.

Yeah, the Monday fixture might force him to miss another match. I think it's a 12-day protocol with concussions, and so as Saturday would be the 12th day, I presume he can't play.
Under AFL protocols, players are able to return on day 12, provided they are cleared medically.

As such both Paddy and Logan are potentially available for selection.

Cunningham is about a hard as lock as anyone in the side. What other options do we have as a small defender?
I think the main reason people list Harry as an out is because he picked up a hip injury on Sunday. He is down on form, struggling to contain his opponent on a lead but overall is still our best option to take the opposition's best small forward. If he's not fit, then Campbell is the next best option to play his role.

Lloyd to me is the biggest issue. He deserves more time to find his form given his history and also the fact that we are thin on the ground for small defenders but if we lose to GC and he has another sub par game, I'd be seriously looking at his spot in the team.

People are dreaming if they think Lloyd is at imminent risk of being dropped.

Cunningham is injured (hip flexor) and 6 day break means it is unlikely he will come up.

People are dreaming if they think Lloyd is at imminent risk of being dropped.

Cunningham is injured (hip flexor) and 6 day break means it is unlikely he will come up.
I don't think Lloyd should be dropped.
However I think his responsibilities should be altered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back